was this shell casing from a HOTCKISS GUN?

BOLO

does this brass shell casing look like it could be from a HOTCHKISS GUN?

the projectile is marked HOTCHKISS

the bottom of the brass shell is marked

WNY

2 - 1906

EHCL

SPF

also has a ships anchor

the brass shell case is 6 1/4" tall and the projectile is 3 3/4" tall

I know the projectile is from a Hotchkiss, but not sure about the brass shell?

post-1885-1262760575.jpg

"Based on the USN "Heavy One Pounder"

The second pair on this PHOTO: USN Heavy One Pounder (37x136R), USAAF M4 aircraft gun (37x145R)

The "Heavy One Pounder" was the USN's equivalent of the RN's 1� Pdr described below; an effort to produce a more powerful cartridge for the Maxim light cannon. The weapon rapidly disappeared into history, but the cartridge re-emerged as the basis for a new round (a bit longer and more powerful) developed by Browning for one of his own cannon designs. This was developed by Oldsmobile as the T9 and adopted by the USAAF as the M4. It was mainly used in P-39 Airacobra.

post-1885-1262803498.jpg

I found some info on the projectile:

Explosive Shells

Explosive shells are used to destroy soft targets and inflict causalities. Explosive shells may be fuzed in the nose, in the base, or both. Early shells are often referred to as "common shells," the reason being, according to the book United States Artillery Ammunition, that they were made of common steel. However, according to The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Ammunition, they are called common shells because they were the common shell used against all targets. The explosive used in early shells was black powder, a low explosive. Figure 16 shows nosed-fused shells used in 1880s and 1890s era Hotchkiss revolving cannons.

1870s and 1880s era nose-fused shells for Hotchkiss revolving cannons. From left to right: 37mm, 47mm, and 53mm

the one on the left looks a lot like the one in my collection

the brass shell case thats been made into a piece of "trench art" could be for some type of later design since it's dated 2 - 1906

post-1885-1262812244.jpg

That is some of the neatest trench art I have seen. The case is for sure a Navy 1 pounder (37mm) but the projo does not look like any projectile that I have seen that would match the case.. Cool set though! :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...