Coat, Combat. ACU Camouflage. Size XXL.

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

Hey all,

While wondering the charity shops of my local city, I picked up this beauty. Not often that stuff like this turns up I might add! It didn't cost much and I couldn't turn down a bit of camo. However, I don't know much about it. All I do know is that it's modern issue! It's an XXL size (could probably fit me in it twice!) and looks unworn, the velcro is very fresh and I don't think it's been on the back of a soldier. It also has a NATO stock number.

Could some of the experts shed some light please: Who uses such a garment? And how much is something like this worth?

Thanks guys!

Will

post-5339-1262713176.jpg

post-5339-1262713191.jpg

Those pleated-in-the-middle sleeve pockets look different than the ACU's I was issued, and the velcro doesnt look as wide on the sleeve pocket flaps...might be part of someones PCU system?

Anyone else??

EDIT: Just noticed it is 100% cotton,so probably not a PCU. Maybe a Non-Issue ACU shirt, like propper or such??

It's a fake...copy ! The label in the original vest isn't the same. It miss the NSN number, it miss the manufacturer...definitely copy of the ACU (Army Combat Uniform). It looks like, but it isn't the original. I'm sure of what I say. I can send you picture of original label if necessary ! I've all uniforms ; ACU, A2CU,...so I know it's a fake.

There's some copy. They are made for airsoft principaly. And in you jacket, there's some parts that aren't good ; velcro on shoulder pouches is a good example. You'll never find an original ACU with an half cut velcro on shoulder pouches... !

Corpsmancollector
It's a fake...copy ! The label in the original vest isn't the same. It miss the NSN number, it miss the manufacturer...definitely copy of the ACU (Army Combat Uniform). It looks like, but it isn't the original. I'm sure of what I say. I can send you picture of original label if necessary ! I've all uniforms ; ACU, A2CU,...so I know it's a fake.

There's some copy. They are made for airsoft principaly. And in you jacket, there's some parts that aren't good ; velcro on shoulder pouches is a good example. You'll never find an original ACU with an half cut velcro on shoulder pouches... !

Thanks for the heads-up guys! I had no idea, just saw it and liked it, it's not my collecting area at all. Do ACU's have NATO stock numbers? Please do post some examples for reference, it's all new to me!

Will

Ok ! First of all, there's two label in a jacket, and two label inside the trousers.

First label is shorter and contain the size and Nato Stock Number (NSN). But not sure, NSN is "NATO Stock Number" or "National Stock Number" ? Or is that the same thing ? Sorry, it's something we haven't in Belgium...so I hesitate for what does it means "NSN"....?

Example of short label :

Size

Height : .. to ..

Chest : .. to ..

NSN No : ....-..-...-....

NATO SIZE : ..../....

The NSN is the same for all jackets in ACU camouflage, for every manufacturers ! This number differs with size only (and others camouflages). So, if you take two medium-regular ACU jackets, they have exactly the same NSN. The NSN is write as by example : "NSN No : 8415-01-519-8513" (here's for a medium - X-long jacket in ACU).

The second label is bigger and contain ;

1. Name of the item : "Coat, Army Combat Uniform"

2. Number of contract (differs with producter : there's the datum of contract inside this number. By example SPM1C1-06-D-0253 = 2006)

3. material used for produce the jacket : 50% COTTON, 50% NYLON

4. The manufacturer : ?

---------------------------------------------------------

Instruction for wear and washing, "use and care label".

So yes, every jacket, every trousers, everything have a NSN if ORIGINAL. But take care, because some copy also have the NSN...So it's difficult to identify it only by the NSN ! For copy, there's some difference in : quality, material use (as your jacket : 100% cotton), color of the label, sew-on quality, and camouflage color. For your jacket, I can tell you that velcro cur in 2 on shoulder pocket is not original...There's no ACU jacket with this sort of half velcro...

Sorry, I can take a picture of label now, my photo apparel is broken... if someone can post pictures of ACU jacket and label, it'll help me to explain...

of if you'll you can look this uniform for label ;

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-ACU-COAT-SHIRT...=item2304b6c506

sorry, when I'll have another photo apparel, I'll post you pictures.

Corpsmancollector
Ok ! First of all, there's two label in a jacket, and two label inside the trousers.

First label is shorter and contain the size and Nato Stock Number (NSN). But not sure, NSN is "NATO Stock Number" or "National Stock Number" ? Or is that the same thing ? Sorry, it's something we haven't in Belgium...so I hesitate for what does it means "NSN"....?

Example of short label :

Size

Height : .. to ..

Chest : .. to ..

NSN No : ....-..-...-....

NATO SIZE : ..../....

The NSN is the same for all jackets in ACU camouflage, for every manufacturers ! This number differs with size only (and others camouflages). So, if you take two medium-regular ACU jackets, they have exactly the same NSN. The NSN is write as by example : "NSN No : 8415-01-519-8513" (here's for a medium - X-long jacket in ACU).

The second label is bigger and contain ;

1. Name of the item : "Coat, Army Combat Uniform"

2. Number of contract (differs with producter : there's the datum of contract inside this number. By example SPM1C1-06-D-0253 = 2006)

3. material used for produce the jacket : 50% COTTON, 50% NYLON

4. The manufacturer : ?

---------------------------------------------------------

Instruction for wear and washing, "use and care label".

So yes, every jacket, every trousers, everything have a NSN if ORIGINAL. But take care, because some copy also have the NSN...So it's difficult to identify it only by the NSN ! For copy, there's some difference in : quality, material use (as your jacket : 100% cotton), color of the label, sew-on quality, and camouflage color. For your jacket, I can tell you that velcro cur in 2 on shoulder pocket is not original...There's no ACU jacket with this sort of half velcro...

Sorry, I can take a picture of label now, my photo apparel is broken... if someone can post pictures of ACU jacket and label, it'll help me to explain...

of if you'll you can look this uniform for label ;

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-ACU-COAT-SHIRT...=item2304b6c506

sorry, when I'll have another photo apparel, I'll post you pictures.

Ok, seems there's a couple of differences!

The first label my jacket reads:

*Height

*Chest

*STOCK number (not NSN)

*Nato size

The second larger label reads:

*Name (ACU etc.)

*What I assume is a contract number

*100% cotton, ripstop etc. (as pointed out, the construct appears to differ from a real issue ACU)

*Appears to be missing the manufacturer

So guys, who do we think manufactured this garment? It did seem very odd to me when I purchased the jacket that a current issue US jacket in unworn condition would end up in a chairty shop in Wolverhampton (that's near Birmingham :)) but hey it didn't break the bank so what the hell...

Thanks for all the input!

Will

Yes sure, for 5 dollars it's not a crime ! :thumbsup: I've done a good transaction on ebay the week before ; I bought one set, new with tag and I only pay $20 for jacket and trousers, size medium regular, all original. In Belgium, they sell it for around €50 the set (so ~ $75)...used ! So don't be affraid, for $5-10 you're not stolen, copy or not !

But I insure you that the jacket you bought is a copy. I've some pictures on my computer of the A2CU (Aircrew) but it can't help you, because the design differ in comparison with the ACU (and so label, too)...If you'll picture of label of my A2CU jacket, I can post them... but in comparison with ACU, there's some difference (material, manufacturer, NSN, name).

I hope you have understand what I try to explain you (the difference between copy and original)...sorry, it's difficult to explain in english for me......

Corpsmancollector

Yeah, copy or not it seems good to me! I may pass it on, we'll see.

I was thinking though, would it be of commercial manufacture if it had a NATO stock number etc? It seems strange that someone would go to the trouble of reproducing a label as such but just miss out the minor details in question. Do any other countries currently use this camo? Also would airsoft 'reproductions' have civilian labels? Hmmm...Any ideas anyone?

And lastly, are there any other stark differences in the make up of the garment? Would it help if I measured the velcro on the arms and chest?

Will

When I first read this, the tags reminded me a whole lot of the Propper and other related brand jackets that I used to see in Dick's Sporting Goods (and other stores) right when the first "real" issue ACUs were being distributed to soldiers. Same basic design, but lots of minor differences, like tags, velcro placements on the pocket flaps, and shades of color used so they won't be copying the government issue ACUs exactly. I think yours is a civilian copy, but still neat nonetheless, and at what you paid you might as well keep it for reference anyway. But this is just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Corpsmancollector
Not even a decent copy like Propper's or Tru-Spec's. Pretty sure this is a Chinese made repro.

How so? Structurally, the garment is sound and has been put together very well...As far as accuracy goes in comparison to an authentic ACU, I don't know as it's not my field. But I'd say the jacket is decent in it's own right.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Will

While it may be a decently made garment, it has several differences from a US military issue ACU jacket, most notably the sleeve pockets, as well as the color, size, and placement of the velcro.

I was one of those people who bought a set of the Tru-Spec ACU knock offs as soon as they came out through Ranger Joe's mail order back in the summer of 2005. They are ALMOST identical to the issued ACU in cut, shade, design, etc. In fact, they actually held up better than most of the ACU's I have been issued since.

Vance

How so? Structurally, the garment is sound and has been put together very well...As far as accuracy goes in comparison to an authentic ACU, I don't know as it's not my field. But I'd say the jacket is decent in it's own right.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Will

Hi Will. I've seen these "ACUs" on sale in various surplus/camping shops in the UK...you know the kind of shops I mean... along with look-alike BDUs, Jungle Jackets and MA-1s etc. They look OK but they aren't the real deal. Most of them have pseudo NATO stock labels. I think they're intended for the paintballing brigade rather than serious collectors.

Sabrejet.

Corpsmancollector
While it may be a decently made garment, it has several differences from a US military issue ACU jacket, most notably the sleeve pockets, as well as the color, size, and placement of the velcro.

I was one of those people who bought a set of the Tru-Spec ACU knock offs as soon as they came out through Ranger Joe's mail order back in the summer of 2005. They are ALMOST identical to the issued ACU in cut, shade, design, etc. In fact, they actually held up better than most of the ACU's I have been issued since.

Vance

Hey Vance,

Thanks for your input! May I ask, how does ACU wear in the field?

All the best,

Will

Corpsmancollector
Hi Will. I've seen these "ACUs" on sale in various surplus/camping shops in the UK...you know the kind of shops I mean... along with look-alike BDUs, Jungle Jackets and MA-1s etc. They look OK but they aren't the real deal. Most of them have pseudo NATO stock labels. I think they're intended for the paintballing brigade rather than serious collectors.

Sabrejet.

Hi Sabre,

Yeah, I sure do ;) It seems strange that these items get reproduced to me, the real thing isn't THAT expensive to buy and surely wears better than a 'knock-off'?

I'll stick the jacket back in the closet and keep it for trade in the future I think.

Will

The regular style ACUs I wore in Iraq a few years ago really weren't all that bad. They ended up being pretty thread bare by the time my 14 month tour was done, but that's to be expected.

The newer Flame Retardant (FR) ACU's they issued me when I deployed to Afghanistan are a whole different story. The flame retardant material is not very strong, fades out quickly and turns a dirtly looking yellowish color. I understand the need for flame retardant properties in a combat uniform, but the material they make the FR-ACU out of is pretty much garbage. The FR-ACUs are only authorized for wear in a deployed area.

Vance

The newer Flame Retardant (FR) ACU's they issued me when I deployed to Afghanistan are a whole different story. The flame retardant material is not very strong, fades out quickly and turns a dirtly looking yellowish color. I understand the need for flame retardant properties in a combat uniform, but the material they make the FR-ACU out of is pretty much garbage. The FR-ACUs are only authorized for wear in a deployed area.

Vance

I was at a surplus store near Ft Hood getting rid of some ACU's and they said they wouldnt even touch the FR-ACU's another surplus told me the same thing. They told me to throw them in the trash on the way out :pinch:

Corpsmancollector
The regular style ACUs I wore in Iraq a few years ago really weren't all that bad. They ended up being pretty thread bare by the time my 14 month tour was done, but that's to be expected.

Vance

Thanks for your insight Vance and for your service! :thumbsup:

How strange that they changed the material for the FR-ACU's, you'd have thought they could have used the same stuff? And that the clear faults would have come out in field testing...

Will