USN Corpsman Bags

craig_pickrall

Corpsmancollector

I don't get much chance to post some of my own items as my collection is split between 2 places so it can be difficult. However, I managed to take a few snaps of a selection of my bags. Here is 3 x 14-450 pouches.

Pic 1:

post-5339-1254250983.jpg

Corpsmancollector

One of my 14-280 bags:

post-5339-1254251177.jpg

I have a pair of matching bags named to the same person, and marked 'I' and 'II' in white paint, above is bag 'I'.

:w00t: WOW :w00t:

No wonder you left 'em home when you did the Corpsman impression...I sure wouldn't take those to any kind of rough-up event, even if they're used!

Thanks for posting, Will- that is some great stuff!!

• 3 weeks later...

If you watch "The Sands of Iwo Jima" when they are using actual wartime camera footage, there is a clip of a corpsman using the No.3 bags and suspender set up. Watch carefully, it only lasts a couple seconds, he is kneeling down treating a casualty.

If you watch "The Sands of Iwo Jima" when they are using actual wartime camera footage, there is a clip of a corpsman using the No.3 bags and suspender set up. Watch carefully, it only lasts a couple seconds, he is kneeling down treating a casualty.

Is that in the Tarawa sequence? That's the part that launched my interest in W.W.II camo uniforms when I was a kid. I'll have to flip that movie in and see if I can pick that up...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is my corpsman bag. Same style at the others, but in an all green fabric and trim. No stenciling or markings that I can find other than the USN and red cross.

post-4556-1264965136.jpg

Here is my corpsman bag. Same style at the others, but in an all green fabric and trim. No stenciling or markings that I can find other than the USN and red cross.

Very nice Doc :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Wow, thats really impressive! Did all those items come with the bag? Were all the items that you have shown standard issued items for that bag, or were the items varied from medic to medic? Is there a list of items usually carried in a corpsman bag?

Wow, thats really impressive! Did all those items come with the bag? Were all the items that you have shown standard issued items for that bag, or were the items varied from medic to medic? Is there a list of items usually carried in a corpsman bag?

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

This is a list of contents that was found with a 14-280 bag, not this one.

14-280 bag

6 Bandages,Guaze

1 Diagnosis Tag w/ Pencil (I probably means 1 book)

4 Tubes Tincture of Iodine

1 Btl Ammonia

2 Rubber Tourniquets

1 Case,Pins,Scissors,Forceps

8 Pkgs. Sublimated Gauze

1 Jack Knife

1 Spool Adhesive Plaster

1 Roll Wire for Splints

The bag was empty when I received it and I set out to fill the bag with these and any other items I thought a Corpsman would carry. As you can see the bulk of the items are dated 1942.

Cheers

Martyn

Corpsmancollector
Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

This is a list of contents that was found with a 14-280 bag, not this one.

14-280 bag

6 Bandages,Guaze

1 Diagnosis Tag w/ Pencil (I probably means 1 book)

4 Tubes Tincture of Iodine

1 Btl Ammonia

2 Rubber Tourniquets

1 Case,Pins,Scissors,Forceps

8 Pkgs. Sublimated Gauze

1 Jack Knife

1 Spool Adhesive Plaster

1 Roll Wire for Splints

The bag was empty when I received it and I set out to fill the bag with these and any other items I thought a Corpsman would carry. As you can see the bulk of the items are dated 1942.

Cheers

Martyn

Very nice Martyn, and thanks for supplying the contents list for the 14-280. It's good to see you posting!

Hope you're well :)

Will

Very nice Martyn, and thanks for supplying the contents list for the 14-280. It's good to see you posting!

Hope you're well :)

Will

Hi Will

Glad you like it mate. Got back from Chatham Militaria Fair late yesterday after staying over Saturday night to set up the pitch, good day selling :thumbsup: but nothing bought :thumbdown:

Catch you in the Summer

Cheers

Martyn :)

• 1 month later...
Corpsmancollector
Hi Will

Glad you like it mate. Got back from Chatham Militaria Fair late yesterday after staying over Saturday night to set up the pitch, good day selling :thumbsup: but nothing bought :thumbdown:

Catch you in the Summer

Cheers

Martyn :)

I've never been down to the Chatham fair, but I've heard good things. I might head down to Malvern this Sunday, if I can afford the time.

I've got a couple of new bits and pieces to post next week ;)

Hopefully see you soon!

Will

Hey Will, how's the surf out there, with all this crazy weather?? Hope all is well :)

I tell ya, you guys' displays of your Corpsman's gear (not to mention other stuff as well) would lead one to believe that the U.K. is the U.S. Militaria Capitol of the World :w00t:

Unbelievable stuff in this thread- and educational as well :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
Hey Will, how's the surf out there, with all this crazy weather?? Hope all is well :)

I tell ya, you guys' displays of your Corpsman's gear (not to mention other stuff as well) would lead one to believe that the U.K. is the U.S. Militaria Capitol of the World :w00t:

Unbelievable stuff in this thread- and educational as well :thumbsup:

Hey Jim!

Not too bad thanks buddy, hope you're good too! I've not had a chance to get out in the ocean lately, I've heard there's been some good surf down under lately!

I wouldn't quite say the UK is a militaria capitol, but the stuff is out there if you look hard enough! However, I think all of my bags (with the exception of 1 14-280) came from eBay

All the best,

Will

• 1 month later...
James Bradley, in his book, "Flags or our Fathers" tells the story of Japanese soldiers trained to spot "unit 3" bags so they could target Corpman and demoralized the Marines.

my dad was an army medic. he told me he never wore the red cross on his helmet or armband because "the japs used them as targets".

thanks for the reference!

tom

I bought this navy pack just for the supplies in it. anyone want to buy the pack? ;)

dsc0042uc.jpg[/url]

• 5 weeks later...
psencik1950

I am looking for the correct nomenclature for what we called a Unit 1 during Vietnam. I was a FMF corpsman and that is what we carried. It had 3 pockets and I have seen them reproduced in cheap vinyl. Any help, would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Size comparison of the first two bags.

post-5-1166818544.jpg

post-5-1166818555.jpg

[/quot

Here is my new find: WW II USMC-Navy Corpesman Medic Bag with the redcross on front.

Mike

post-576-1315329730.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...