My West Point Patches

maddog1129

maddog1129 said:
... as well as an unmatched USMA Band tab and full color patch.

If ever you come across an available 1940s USMA Band tab, white on blue rectangle, then I am in the market for one to add to my father's shadow box:

post-3976-1295144229.jpg

I saw a USMA PREP blue and red tab on eBay recently, but have not seen that in a USMA Band tab. I'll be on the lookout for you, Bluehawk!

Jo

• 4 months later...
maddog1129
There is a cadre shoulder patch on sale on eBay right now. It looks like someone made this at home! :wacko:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I asked the seller for the provenance of the patch.

He responded,

"I'm not sure what you mean. We don't typically have provenance on a ten dollar patch."

I said:

"that looks like somebody sewed it themselves at home. Is it a manufactured patch? where did it come from? It doesn't look official in any sense of the word."

He said:

"I don't know who makes it 'official'. It is theater made."

I just wrote back:

"what 'theater' do soldiers posted to West Point, New York, serve in, that they would need home-made patches? Was it really worn on a uniform? I'm just asking, do you know how that patch came to be made, and how it was (IF it was) worn? could you ask the person you got it from? It's very curious-looking. I rather like it, never seen another one remotely similar, just very interested in its background."

What do you-all think?

maddog1129
I asked the seller for the provenance of the patch.

He responded,

"I'm not sure what you mean. We don't typically have provenance on a ten dollar patch."

I said:

"that looks like somebody sewed it themselves at home. Is it a manufactured patch? where did it come from? It doesn't look official in any sense of the word."

He said:

"I don't know who makes it 'official'. It is theater made."

I just wrote back:

"what 'theater' do soldiers posted to West Point, New York, serve in, that they would need home-made patches? Was it really worn on a uniform? I'm just asking, do you know how that patch came to be made, and how it was (IF it was) worn? could you ask the person you got it from? It's very curious-looking. I rather like it, never seen another one remotely similar, just very interested in its background."

What do you-all think?

And I've had the reply now:

"I have been doing this for forty years now and I have seen patches made all over the world including high school ROTC units. Don't ask me why, it just happens. No idea where this was made or when."

I think he's getting tired of me.

I'm left wondering, however, what is the difference between "reproduction" or "theater made" patches and "fake"? What does "theater made" actually mean?

maddog1129

Teamski,

Your picture is ever so much nicer than mine. How do you take such a gorgeous photo? (Looking for tips!)

Jo

• 1 year later...
My West Point Parachute Team display.

Hey, rigger,

Is it possible to get a shot of that oval without the wings? I just want to get a good idea about what it looks like. Many thanks.

Patch Johnson

• 9 months later...

The USMA RECONDO Arrowhead is use, circa 1962, worn by cadets undergoing a spot of summer field training with the regulars. My question will be, since this was a skill badge, was the USMA Recondo Badge worn in the manner of the other Recondo badges ie, in perpetuity? we know the 101st, 82nd, and MACV Recondo badges, (maybe the other one's too, like the 5th Army, 5th Div, the 8th Pathfinder Inf Div etc) were allowed to be worn after the man left these units, was the USMA Recondo Badge allowed to continued to be worn, or just as long as the man was a cadet at the point?

post-34986-0-15629400-1363983360.jpg

My question will be, since this was a skill badge, was the USMA Recondo Badge worn in the manner of the other Recondo badges ie, in perpetuity?

I believe this was strictly a cadet award that wouldn't carry over to the Army uniform. They were issuing these to ROTC cadets in the 80s as well. I've never seen one being worn on an Army uniform (or even a cadet uniform, for that matter, but I'm sure it was done somewhere).

I believe this was strictly a cadet award that wouldn't carry over to the Army uniform. They were issuing these to ROTC cadets in the 80s as well. I've never seen one being worn on an Army uniform (or even a cadet uniform, for that matter, but I'm sure it was done somewhere).

Thank you sir, that would be my general belief as well, can't say I ever seen it being worn when I was in, have seen couple of differant ones in example the Recruiter Badge in cloth and metal form on NCOs, the 101 and 82nd Recondo of course, but not this USMA Recondo one on any officer.

• 3 months later...

USMA airborne detachment beret flash and jump oval

The two pieces shown here are pure fantasy and not worth the thread it took to make them.

When the USMA Parachute Demo team began wearing the maroon beret they simply used magic markers to alter the colors of the JFK Center flash to match the colors of the existing oval.

Eventually the detachment had flashes made that matched the "design" of the oval.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 10/9/2010 at 9:30 PM, maddog1129 said:

Here is a patch version of the blue and gold cadre collar device, and just about the same size as the DUI shields. This poor little patch has seen better days!

post-4140-1286674163.jpg

post-4140-1286674177.jpg

post-4140-1286674195.jpg

Thanks! I was wondering what this little guy was. I picked it and a similar sized 101AB (Iron on) up in the same lot yesterday.

1623521346902680061615458747657.jpg

If I may add some patches from my collection.  Here is the ACU top of the 1st Regiment XO (CDT), last worn on May 22nd, 2021 featuring the "Reg" patch on the right shoulder.  Those company patches are worn only with the "black jacket", but due to Covid, cadets were required to wear them on the ACUs as well.  The black jacket, belonging to the same "old grad", features the "Reg" patch on the right shoulder, an athletic team patch, and company (D-1, the Ducks), USMA cadet, and class of 2021 patches on the left shoulder.  

USMA Co Patches 1st Rgt.jpg

USMA Co Patches black jacket.jpg

And here are a few more company patches, A-1 through A-4.  If there is interest, I will post more of them.  I think I have them all with the designs as they were authorized and worn in 2018 or so; they do change the designs every so often...

USMA Co Patches A.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...