The Rat Patrol

sgtdorango

Just got the complete Rat Patrol series for Christmas!!.....bringing back some great memories of when I was a kid and couldnt wait to see the show, they must have been in syndication then but it was one of my favorites like Combat was too.....got that complete boxed series last year!!....anyways Rat Patrol is awesome and watching it now I can pick out details in the uniforms, equipment and vehicles....what makes me very curious is what kind of guns the guys used, the first season (there were only two seasons)....they used an odd looking machine gun that I always thought as a kid were Tommy guns but they look kind of German with wood stocks and magazine very forward on the weapon?.....I noticed at some point in either late season one or season two they are using Tommy guns and I figure they used what they could at first, also noticed that it was filmed in Spain, maybe the gun was a Spanish type?....still have lots more episodes to watch!!!....mike

What cracks me up is the main German officer, Captain Hans Dietrich, in that show went on to become a long running soap opra star!

What cracks me up is the main German officer, Captain Hans Dietrich, in that show went on to become a long running soap opra star!

Yeah thats too funny!!!....and in the show he is wearing a regular old pair of safety goggles instead of military goggles!!!....evryone else has nice military goggles but him!!... :lol: ..mike

pathfinder505
Yeah thats too funny!!!....and in the show he is wearing a regular old pair of safety goggles instead of military goggles!!!....evryone else has nice military goggles but him!!... :lol: ..mike

He actually changed his stage name when he left Rat Patrol. He was Hans Guedgast (sorry if I didnt spell it right) on Rat Patrol and now to Eric Braden on The Young and the Restless.

He is actually from Kiel, Germany, near Hamburg, and lived through the bombing, etc. during the war as a boy. I remembered seeing an interview where he talked about his role in Rat Patrol (One of my favorite shows growing up) many years ago, so I searched and found this:

"They (the producers) wanted an eye-patch and a limp so as to perpetuate the

stereotypical image of a German soldier. And I insisted on playing the Rommel-like figure as a

human being, with dignity, because the German soldier of the Wehrmacht who came back from

the Russian front was decent and brave and tough and fought for his country just like any other

soldier."

Eric Braeden/Hans Gudegast from

THOUGHTS ON BEING GERMAN

I watched that show all the time when I was a kid, along with Combat! I thought Rat Patrol was awesome but when I saw several episodes years later, as an adult, I could only laugh at the plots and characters. I recall having hours of fun with a cool toy Rat Patrol jeep too, shooting up Afrika Korps halftracks in the backyard. :lol:

Terry

When I was a WW2 re-enactor back in the late 70's to early 80's, I remember someone at a battle with one of the Jeeps used in the show. It was a USMC vehicle early in its career, as I recall.

I have the complete first season of Rat Patrol dvd set

they did a nice job filming this show, the picture and color is excellent and every episode starts off with the jeeps driving through the desert shooting the MG

did you notice one of the men wears a post WWII helmet liner? it doesnt have the vent hole on the front

Sgt Sam Troy has several chances to kill the German officer but he always lets him live, they have met several times but they never try to kill each other?

I read that most of the field gear and vehicles used to make RAT PATROL are left over from the movie Battle of The Bulge.

Are there any bonus extras on this set - interviews, outtakes etc.?

No extras at all, ( havent checked the second season discs yet) a little disappointed about that but still well worth it!!...there are some cool videos on youtube with promos and different beginings with sponsors... .mike

I watched that show all the time when I was a kid, along with Combat! I thought Rat Patrol was awesome but when I saw several episodes years later, as an adult, I could only laugh at the plots and characters.

Ain't that the truth? I got the Combat series and told my wife she was in for a treat... I was shocked however as she giggled over the plots and the poor acting. Unfortunately, I had to agree with her. I guess as a young child in the 60's watching it, it somehow seemed so much more... Real? :dunno:

Soooo, I assured her that when my Rat Patrol DVD's arrived that she would like these 'cuz I just knew they were very well done... She smirked through the first three episodes being merciful on me and not busting out into all out laughter. :pinch: It appears that very same young impressionable mind of mine had again led me astray. :blink:

I've now decided not to embarrass myself by trying to find Garrisons Guerrillas on DVD. :pinch:

Ain't that the truth? I got the Combat series and told my wife she was in for a treat... I was shocked however as she giggled over the plots and the poor acting. Unfortunately, I had to agree with her. I guess as a young child in the 60's watching it, it somehow seemed so much more... Real? :dunno:

Soooo, I assured her that when my Rat Patrol DVD's arrived that she would like these 'cuz I just knew they were very well done... She smirked through the first three episodes being merciful on me and not busting out into all out laughter. :pinch: It appears that very same young impressionable mind of mine had again led me astray. :blink:

I've now decided not to embarrass myself by trying to find Garrisons Guerrillas on DVD. :pinch:

Might as well go to McHale's Navy, well renowned for its historical accuracy!

pathfinder505
Might as well go to McHale's Navy, well renowned for its historical accuracy!

Actually, the Wackiest ship in the army was famous too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Had to do a search for this one.I know Rat Patrol had to be here use to watch this one when I was a kid makes you feel old when you think about it.

• 10 years later...

I'm watching a couple of eps of Rat Patrol for the first time in forever. It's joining the list of shows I loved as a kid that don't quite work for me now. 

It's funny to see them running around in the desert without any canteens on their belts. Not to mention having intense gun battles without any pouches or packs to hold any ammo besides what's in their guns. 

It's a nice trip down memory lane, and the action is mindless fun. But not much like I remember.

Mikie