28th ID marked Radio Bag

AAAO

Just got this beautiful piece in the other day. It's a BG-71 radio pack marked to HQ Co. 109th Infantry, 2nd Plat, 2nd Bn. SLCT. As you can see, there is what looks to be captains bars painted on the bag in white. Unfortunately, there is no name I can find on this bag, but I figured it would be perfect for a 28th ID display.

post-7472-1262571223.jpg

post-7472-1262571227.jpg

post-7472-1262571230.jpg

post-7472-1262571283.jpg

So this is actually for a BC-1000 radio transmitter. What's pretty neat is that I can save a lot of money this way...I can buy a NOS BC-1000 antenna for under $50, and make a make a box of the same dimensions as the transmitter to go into the bag and I'll have the antenna sticking up. Thrifty, huh?

Oh, I knew it was for the BC-222, but I thought that was similar if not the same to the BC-1000. I just looked it up and it's actually quite different. Is a BC-222 difficult to come by?

BC-1000 on the left, BC-322 on the right. They have nothing in common except that they are carried on the users back. Your BG-71 would have only been used during training in the States. The BC-1000 replaced it for field use early in WW2.

MVC_135S.JPG

Thanks, Robin. I was hoping to use this for a field display, but I suppose that's not possible. Any 28th Div. collectors on the forum?

Nice markings on the bag :thumbsup: . I collect militaria from the 28th ID, but unfortunely I have no funds for the couple of months. You can contact 'Sbas', he also collects 28th ID militaria perhaps he is intrested.

Kind regards, Eric

• 3 years later...

Thanks, Robin. I was hoping to use this for a field display, but I suppose that's not possible. Any 28th Div. collectors on the forum?

I collect 28th Division, but mostly WW1 items. I like your bag as I just returned from my third tour and I was with HQ 109Inf.

• 2 months later...

This shot is taken from the old Time-Life W.W.II series, on the cover of "The Italian Campaign".

The caption states that these men are advancing into the city of Troina, Sicily. The guy on the left is carrying a BG-71 Pack.

I think this is the first photo I've seen of its being used in the field.

post-3226-0-02712000-1385762384.jpeg

I don't necessarily concentrate on Comm gear in collecting, but it's been hard for me to resist snagging a few pieces here and there; the BG-71 I'm especially fond of...

post-3226-0-33726300-1385763057.jpeg

• 6 months later...