Abrams Main Battle Tank Prototype Aberdeen Proving Grounds

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I picked this up a few years ago at an estate auction that was located near Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The gentleman who owned the items stated that his dad had worked at APG and that is where this came from. He said that it was a prototype tank that was sent to APG when they where designing the Abrams Main Battle Tank back in the 1970's. The tank itself is made of wood and is about 20" long and 9" high and it is mounted to the bottom of the carrying case and it weighs about 30" pounds. Obviously this is not the design that was chosen and just wondering if anyone recognizes the designer from label on the side of the case? And please excuse the dust I thought I had cleaned it but obviously my camera flash picked up all the dust that I missed. :unsure:

post-1412-1262531974.jpg

What a bizarre design!

The only thing I can make sense of is that shield portion above the engine compartment. I would guess that it is either 1) to provide an extra layer of protection for the engine or 2) to hide the IR signature from overhead detection.

The side skirts reflect an Abrams, but that rounded hull on the front is a throw back to an earlier generation (M-48, M-60). Also note the very wide treads, also similar to an Abrams.

I have no explanation for the "roof" over the turret. The black are looks like where a commander might be seated, but why would you want him separated from the crew?

The ETT on the side of the tank might offer a clue, but it turned up nothing useful when I tried to Google the term.

The Cobra symbol on the side of the case looks like the one adopted for the Cobra helicopter. Either it doesn't belong there, or it could be an example of where a design was used for more than one weapon's system (it wouldn't be the first time that a cool design was used by more the one unit.)

You might try researching experimental tanks and see if you get a hit. Its and odball in any case. Thanks for sharing!

Hi

Just looked in my PATTON copy from Hunnicutt.

ETT Evasive Target Tank.Look page 345 for pictures.I could post the side if there are not copyrigth issues!

It was actualy built!On the M-48 patton chassis.

Designed as a moving TOW target vehicle.

Karl

Manchu Warrior
Hi

Just looked in my PATTON copy from Hunnicutt.

ETT Evasive Target Tank.Look page 345 for pictures.I could post the side if there are not copyrigth issues!

It was actualy built!On the M-48 patton chassis.

Designed as a moving TOW target vehicle.

Karl

I don't think the guy I purchased it from gave me the wrong information on purpose I think he just told me what he remembered it to be. I also appreciate all the information and if possible could you give more information Korea drab. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Manchu Warrior

I want to thank korea drab, Karl, for sending me the photos and information on what exactly I had with this tank. So, thanks again! :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

I was the NCOIC of Operation Target Tank. I never saw the wooden model but that's pretty close to what our tank looked like.

CW2 Jack Stoddard USA Retired