Any pictures of GI's wearing German gear

OD MAN

I was wondering if people have some pictures of WWII GIs using German gear. (belts, packs, camo, holsters...)

I am not talking about pictures like this. :rolleyes:

gi_with_souvenirs_resized.jpg

Well thats a pic of a happy Doggie! The only ones I have seen are just like this, trophy's, as I would prefer the gear we had over German stuff other then what one would need to grab in the heat of battle. Bet what he is carrying is worth a pretty penny these days. :thumbsup: :lol:

There is the picture of the 82nd Airborne trooper weaing a german belt during the Bulge.

Also on the book on the First Special Service Force it appears that there is a couple of Forcemen wearing camo helmet covers made from german(?)parachute material in the photos of the liberation of Rome.

RD

Captainofthe7th

I have a pic somewhere of a GI using a K98...it was his weapon of choice,i believe, not a "i lost it on the jump."

Rob

I was wondering if people have some pictures of WWII GIs using German gear. (belts, packs, camo, holsters...)

Not that it wasn't done, I'm sure, but it would not have been a smart thing to do. Your own people could confuse you with the enemy and shoot you. And if you were captured prisoner wearing German gear or carrying a Luger, for example, the Germans just may get mad and shoot you.

Not that it wasn't done, I'm sure, but it would not have been a smart thing to do. Your own people could confuse you with the enemy and shoot you. And if you were captured prisoner wearing German gear or carrying a Luger, for example, the Germans just may get mad and shoot you.

Just the sound of firing an enemy weapon might bring your mate's blasting in your direction. Anyone that has been in combat (or shoot's the weapons.) knows the difference a firearm make's. If you were found to have been in possession of a weapon I am pretty sure that it would not have been the same as if you had a wallet or other personal item. :crying:

Just the sound of firing an enemy weapon might bring your mate's blasting in your direction. Anyone that has been in combat (or shoot's the weapons.) knows the difference a firearm make's. If you were found to have been in possession of a weapon I am pretty sure that it would not have been the same as if you had a wallet or other personal item. :crying:

If you can find that pretty famous picture of about 20 GIs standing on the Barrel of the German Rail Road gun 2 or 3 guys in the picture are wearing leather Heer belts with buckels. I think there may be a holster on one of them. Its kind of a victory photo so it may be just post V-E day.

i think for the most part whenever you see a ww2 U.S. Infantryman with bits of German stuff hanging off his body it was for a photo op. or just a war trophy to take home...but i'm sure their were guy's who liked German weapons and used them in combat against their former owners it happens in all wars i guess...but having talked to ww2 Infantry vets it was the small stuff the Germans had that alot of the guy's liked...items like the Esbit cooker and fuel ,folding spoon and fork set, small shaving sets and pocket knifes etc....i also have seen a picture of a U.S. Infantryman in the latter stages of ww2 who was using a German MP-44 in combat and a picture of a Infantryman who had a German breadbag on his cartridge belt which i still think was pretty cool...vince g. 11B Infantry....

You can see some "hate belts", (was that just a ww1 term?) when you enlarge the picture, along with Kraut holsters and pistols, I admit you got to look hard. This was a Mammoth 274-mm railroad gun Captured in the U.S. Seventh Army advance near Rentwertshausen easily holds these 22 men lined up on the barrel. ...

captured274mmgunxe3.jpg

Here's another picture, the one I copied, you have to scroll down about three pictures.

http://sudwall.superforum.fr/hier-et-aujou...mar-26-t149.htm

ClaptonIsGod

I remember reading, I think it was in an Ambrose book, perhaps D-Day, that some GIs were taking a farm and out came a man in mostly American garb, and he was telling them he was separated from his unit. An officer who was with the GIs instantly pulled out a gun and shot the man dead. Being questioned as to why the heck he just shot a paratrooper, he explained that the man was wearing German boots. So, I guess it could go both ways, was he a German, or a GI with more comfortable boots?

El Bibliotecario

Here's my late friend, PVT Jim Harvey, 11th Inf, showing off his new pistol while sitting on the fender of his new car, both acquired in Germany in the spring of 1945.

post-2215-1262543623.jpg

Here's my late friend, PVT Jim Harvey, 11th Inf, showing off his new pistol while sitting on the fender of his new car, both acquired in Germany in the spring of 1945.

Great pictures guys, keep them coming!

Looks like he also has a luft belt

shocktrooper15

I am not talking about pictures like this. :rolleyes:

gi_with_souvenirs_resized.jpg

Found some on another forum:

1. Rangers with an MG34

2. Soldier during the Battle of the Bulge with an STG44

3. Soldier with MP40's

4. Soldiers with A German Mortar, the mortar shell is French though

post-9086-1262546290.jpg

shocktrooper15
Found some on another forum:

1. Rangers with an MG34

2. Soldier during the Battle of the Bulge with an STG44

3. Soldier with MP40's

4. Soldiers with A German Mortar, the mortar shell is French though

post-9086-1262546405.jpg

post-9086-1262546416.jpg

post-9086-1262546426.jpg

I remember reading, I think it was in an Ambrose book, perhaps D-Day, that some GIs were taking a farm and out came a man in mostly American garb, and he was telling them he was separated from his unit. An officer who was with the GIs instantly pulled out a gun and shot the man dead. Being questioned as to why the heck he just shot a paratrooper, he explained that the man was wearing German boots. So, I guess it could go both ways, was he a German, or a GI with more comfortable boots?

Yup, shoot first and ask questions later. That's real war.

This is one of my favorite WWII photos. The French (?) guy is fixing to have to do a LOT of explaining about the U.S. Infantry badge he is wearing (as an aside, note the F/S knife the GI is wearing).

post-70-1262551749.jpg

I like this photo as several Gi's share the spoil. You can't tell from this photo but they are sitting in a Volkswagen.

310th Engineers of 85th Division in Italy.

Germcross.jpg

And this one is kinda crazy: A GI with his personal valet---a German carrying his weapon. Behind them is a German Schwimwagon. Of course, it could have been taken after the war ended.

Pvt Seymour Sarokin, Co. D, 337th Regiment, 85 Division. Italy.

SarokinPW.jpg

Steve

I have no photos to substantiate it, but three different Bulge vets told me that they, and their buddies, made a point of equipping themselves with German M.P.40s, M.P.44s and grenades, for the purpose of using them in contacts with the enemy IN POOR VIBILITY, which included darkness, fog and blowing snow. This was done to make them think only Germans were firing and not return fire in the GI's direction. They did not bother with Mauser rifles -- too slow-firing and unwieldy, but would use MGs from prepared foxholes -- but sparingly, to avoid being fired upon by Americans. If their position was in serious danger, they would put the MGs in use. One said the M.P.40 was numerous because it could be carried under outer clothing, both to keep it warm/ready-to-fire and concealed. He used on like this twice, pulling it out after the Germans had overrun or gotten the drop on his understrength squad. Both times the Germans did not contest the turning of tables and he did not have to fire. Same guy told me that the way to tell who was who in the ice fog was to get down on hands and knees and look for German footgear....and also wait a minute until someone spoke, because the Germans often "liberated" American buckle boots and jump boots, but no Yank would be wearing German boots.

You can see some "hate belts", (was that just a ww1 term?) when you enlarge the picture, along with Kraut holsters and pistols, I admit you got to look hard. This was a Mammoth 274-mm railroad gun Captured in the U.S. Seventh Army advance near Rentwertshausen easily holds these 22 men lined up on the barrel. ...

captured274mmgunxe3.jpg

Here's another picture, the one I copied, you have to scroll down about three pictures.

http://sudwall.superforum.fr/hier-et-aujou...mar-26-t149.htm

I've always loved this photo... in one picture it summarizes the defeat of Nazi Germany at the hands of US Forces and our allies.

Here is a pic of a GI with a German canteen.

Yanks_advance_into_a_Belgian_town.jpg

Ive seen that pic a million times and never noticed the German canteen plain as day!!!...keep these pics comin guys, I love em!!.....mike