Any pictures of GI's wearing German gear

OD MAN

Another slightly skewing off the case subject, but i just found it today and interesting enough to post :)

Take your pick lol. Look at all those lugers!

post-3398-1263553205.jpg

I can't believe it took Malarkey till Bastogne to find one!

Garandomatic

THere is a book about the 82nd Airborne DIvision that has a white cover with the famous picture of the Bulge trooper that is usually captioned "We're the 82nd Airborne and this is as far as the ******** are going to get." In it, there is an officer that is pictured twice using a personal Thompson with the vertical pistol grip fore-end. This caught my attention as unique, as only a few Marine units, I have read, carried the "gangster" style gun (I know the brits had a few too). Later in the book, he is pictured with an MP44/STG44, and it is written as if he replaced his Thompson with it.

In regards to panzerfausts, I read somewhere that an African-AMerican unit went "Tiger hunting" with some that they captured in the Bulge.

• 1 year later...
I like this photo as several Gi's share the spoil. You can't tell from this photo but they are sitting in a Volkswagen.

310th Engineers of 85th Division in Italy.

Germcross.jpg

And this one is kinda crazy: A GI with his personal valet---a German carrying his weapon. Behind them is a German Schwimwagon. Of course, it could have been taken after the war ended.

Pvt Seymour Sarokin, Co. D, 337th Regiment, 85 Division. Italy.

SarokinPW.jpg

Steve

My dad thinks if was on the outskirts of Bologna (possibly Gesso), about a week before the war in Europe ended. The Germans were surrendering in droves at that point. His mind is getting a bit fuzzy at this point but what he's always said of his prisoner carrying his rifle was that 'I got tired of carrying it'.

Billy Sarokin

Another slightly skewing off the case subject, but i just found it today and interesting enough to post :)

Take your pick lol. Look at all those lugers!

post-3398-1263553205.jpg

...I think I'm about to cry

post-70-1268792723.jpg

The Signal Corps person who described this image was wrong -- this is not German camo canopy, but American one. This is not German camo pattern for camouflaged canopies but typical US pattern.

• 1 month later...

I got some more details out of my dad. He said they were waiting for assault boats to cross the Po when they brought in a large contingent of prisoners. They were told to take some of the prisoners if they had any details. He said the Germans were too mean , 'they were still killers', so he grabbed this guy, a Hungarian, but the only detail he could think of was to have the guy carry his gun. The company 'articifer' thought it was worthy of a photo. This was probably April 23, 1945.

My dad thinks if was on the outskirts of Bologna (possibly Gesso), about a week before the war in Europe ended. The Germans were surrendering in droves at that point. His mind is getting a bit fuzzy at this point but what he's always said of his prisoner carrying his rifle was that 'I got tired of carrying it'.

Billy Sarokin

• 1 year later...

I got some more details out of my dad. He said they were waiting for assault boats to cross the Po when they brought in a large contingent of prisoners. They were told to take some of the prisoners if they had any details. He said the Germans were too mean , 'they were still killers', so he grabbed this guy, a Hungarian, but the only detail he could think of was to have the guy carry his gun. The company 'articifer' thought it was worthy of a photo. This was probably April 23, 1945.

Intresting photo but the rifle looks like a mauser.Side mounted sling and the barrel and site fit the profile as well.

Intresting photo but the rifle looks like a mauser.Side mounted sling and the barrel and site fit the profile as well.

I noticed that also. Most likely a German MP at the end of the war. He is dressed in and carrying all German equipment. The vehicles could be from a small MP unit sent there to help the "Ami's" control the area.

I actually was given a p38 holster by a vet who carried it all through the war to carry cigarettes. I kidded him he's lucky he never got captured!!!

Kyle

Im supposed to be getting a P08 Luger with the original holster from my grandma this christmas. She said one of our relatives(cant remember if it was a uncle, cousin, or great grandpa) killed a german officer and took it off of him. I have never seen it so i dont know if some of the parts have been replaced. She said its been in our family since my relative has brought it back and has never been fired since WW2. Im hopping that its not gunked up on the inside though since it hasnt been fired since then. She took it to a gunsmith at one point(they never took it apart or cleaned just looked at it) and he said it works still. But I dont know how long ago she took it to the gunsmith.