Lets see some US NAVY Good Conduct Medals !!

KASTAUFFER

Wow, that is one great group, I love the Navy Expeditionary medal, and the outstanding Good Conduct medal. Captain Albert

• 3 months later...

Question - I have noticed that there are a number of thicknesses for the Good Conduct Medals:

1903 = 2mm

1914 = 3mm

1915 = 2mm

1921 = 2.6mm

1923 = 2.5mm

1929 = 2mm

1932 = 2mm

1933 = 2mm

1934 = 2mm

1936 = 2mm

Does anyone know why since these were all made by the US Mint?

The USN GCM's were not all made by the US Mint. In fact, almost all the Navy GCM's in the 1920's and 30's were made by private contractors who annually bid for the work. There were separate contracts let for the engraving. In addition, there are several major variations in the medal design during this time period, as the US Mint did not necessarily provide the medal dies to produce the medals. Check the book "Fidelity, Zeal and Obedience", which covers not only the history of the USN GCM, but also the story behind the different makers, lists the various makers and engravers, illustrates the different styles of Continuous Service Certificates, etc, etc. It's currently out of print.

Bluejacket

Question - I have noticed that there are a number of thicknesses for the Good Conduct Medals:

1903 = 2mm US MINT

1914 = 3mm US MINT

1915 = 2mm US MINT

1921 = 2.6mm PRIVATE CONTRACTOR

1923 = 2.5mm PRIVATE CONTRACTOR

1929 = 2mm US MINT

1932 = 2mm US MINT

1933 = 2mm US MINT

1934 = 2mm US MINT

1936 = 2mm US MINT

Does anyone know why since these were all made by the US Mint?

cap_george,

When I replied to your post earlier I did not have my book in front of me. After looking over your data, I found the book and will correct myself on something and thank you for taking the time to actually measure the thickness of your medals.

First, I should have said that most, if not all, of the USN GCM's produced in the 1920's were contract production. However, from January 1930 to January 1941 I don't show any GCM contracts being let...all being done at the Mint. There could be some missing data, but the Mint was by far the major producer in that time period. So you were right....most of your medals were Mint products. I apologize for putting up bad information before I checked. Never a good idea.

Second, looking at you data, the thickness numbers seemed interesting, especially the 1914, 3mm piece. It's possible that was a late or replacement issue done in the 1920's with a contract piece, or the Mint just ran a batch of thick medals in 1913-14. Could you post or send me a photo of both sides of that medal? Anything outside the standard deviation is usually interesting.

Third, the 1921 and 1923 contracts were let to two different producers, so a slight difference in thickness would be logical in your data.

When I researched the book I briefly thought about thickness as a data point, but never had access to a large enough medal base to make it worthwhile. Thanks for posting this. More informative that you realize. And, again, sorry for the misleading comment earlier.

Regards,

Bluejacket

Hello all!

This wonderful thread was started way before my time on the USMF, boy am I glad it was revived recently (thanks Cap!) This area of U.S. militaria is without a doubt one of my top 5 areas of weakness. I love 'em all! So here are 2 to honor the Veteran's who earned them and in praise of the engraver's art, who managed to "cram it all in" and still make it look beautiful!

Please keep it going!

My best to you all,

Joe

post-48324-0-87150000-1393110214.jpg

WM!

Excellent! I never tire of seeing these beauties, thank you for adding it. The early ones are a joy to behold!

I should add this one here too. I must confess I already had this scanned and saved as low res...yes I've become lazy in my senior years. I need to get off my duff and start scanning other stuff. This place is a great archive, probably the best for U.S. material going.

I don't think I could ever get bored viewing these lovely medals, please pile them on, I know I'm not the only one who wants (and NEEDS) more eye candy!

A BIG thanks to Kurt, who started this!

My best to you,

Joe

post-48324-0-99165100-1393112435.jpg

Thanks Bluejack - here is the 1914 piece. George

attachicon.gifmedal_bk2.jpg

attachicon.gifmedal_fr3.jpg

Cap_george

Your 1914 named medal was produced by Bastian Brothers in one of two contracts they had with the Navy. The first was for 3,000 medals in Dec. 1919, and the second was for an estimated 1,000 medal in late 1922. So your medal was either a late issue, or a replacement for a lost medal. Either way, it was probably issued in the early 1920's. Thanks for posting it.

Bluejacket

Here is a Good Conduct Medal I think you will enjoy. The engraver misspelled his name.

Awesome. A moment that changed our lives here in the U.S. forever, frozen in time. Thank you for posting it.

So many great pieces here, I hope it keeps going and going...

Here's one that "got away" a survivor from the USS Nevada during that fateful day.

post-48324-0-89964700-1393196235.jpg