Lets see some US NAVY Good Conduct Medals !!

KASTAUFFER

• 11 months later...
I really like your bar Gary, the GCM ties the AM nicely together! Your set is ripe for research!

Here is a GCM with the latest date engraved on it that I own. ( 1941 , I dont have a 1942 hand engraved one )

It is a bar with a GCM to a USS Arizona Pearl Harbor survivor.

vlach.jpg

vlach2.jpg

I am sad to report Jim Vlach died this year. Not many of these guys left.

Kurt

Eugene John Panaro 1951. I have the other ribbon bars, his collar brass and ID tags as well. Bought it because there is a possible family connection (maternal grandmother is a Panaro), although I have been unable to get any information on him from NPRC.

post-114-1218428623.jpg

Reverse

post-114-1218428765.jpg

This was at an estate sale last Friday for $65 - and when I came back today (Sunday) everything was half price so I could not pass this up even if it had not ribbon. I found him in the Navy Officer Register in WWII, first as a Warrant Officer Machinist and later as a Lt. He was listed as retired in the 1947 register. His first GCM was awarded in 1923 while he was on the Langley.

1927.jpg

1933.jpg

1937.jpg

1940.jpg

6thfront.jpg

sippelfront.jpg

And here's the backside of Raymond George Sippel's GCM and bars (the "6th award" had no engraving on the back):

1927back.jpg

1933back.jpg

1937back.jpg

1940back.jpg

sippelback.jpg

Here's a couple of his Officers Register entries"

sippel42.jpg

sippel44.jpg

I LOVE THIS ONE!!! Naval Aviation thumbsup.gif

Kurt

I had wondered about that - especially when I found this 1936 passenger list showing his wife and kids from Panama to NAS San Diego (I got this from the estate of his oldest son Raymond Jr. who was also a militaria collector):

sippelpasslist2.jpg

Thanks to everyone for sharing I can't get enough of these. Here are my 2 favorites.The first one is from the USS Arizona and the second is from a Chief who was on the USS Tracy at Pearl on Dec 7 th.I posted these before on another thread but I love to show them.

Dan

post-2552-1218747911.jpg

post-2552-1218747920.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks,

I don't find these frequently at the flea markets, but when I do, they are usually very cheap.

This is a USMC good conduct medal for a guy who was likely in China and the Philippines. I got this for 1$. Minus the ribbon and everything else, but what can you do?

post-1519-1230743096.jpg

Then, of course, this group was a major find. At the time, I didnt even know what the Soochow Creek medal was and only grabbed it off the table because it was named to the same guy as the GC medal.

post-1519-1230743191.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Now thats a good price! Very unique engraving too? - I hope bobgee will see this one, perhaps he can comment on that style, perhaps privately done?. s/f Darrell

Now thats a good price! Very unique engraving too? - I hope bobgee will see this one, perhaps he can comment on that style, perhaps privately done?. s/f Darrell

My dad has a book that documents the engraving styles of the GC medals (best I can recall). As I understand it, their is an example of another GC medal that is only a few numbers off from this medal. My medal is likely done by that exact engraver because you can actually see that both sets of engravings are in the same hand.

Patrick

Another USN good conduct medal I got a couple of weekends ago.

I love the ones with the reenlistment bars. This bar also has his name engraved on the back. Sometimes they just have the initials, sometimes the have the name.

post-1519-1230772973.jpg

post-1519-1230773017.jpg

I picked this USN good conduct medal up a few years ago. It is to a guy who served on the V-1, an early submarine. Has a 1933 dated bar.

Patrick, I went through some of my old USN photos and found this one of the V-1, your guy might even be on the deck of the boat. Markpost-527-1230823869.jpgpost-527-1230823877.jpg

Darrell - If you're referring to the USMC GCM it's officially engraved. This particular engraver didn't have the "hand" that some some do. I think I have an example by him------but for a buck, who cares? Great find! I really like the USN/SooChow Creek pair!

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Howdy Patrick - Very nice early Submariner's GCM to the V-1. But V-1 was not one of the first subs. She was a Fleet Boat launched in 1919 and served as USS Barracuda in WWII, google her up and you can find out a lot about her.

I pulled out a group I have to a SubSailor named Henry L. Prather who joined the Navy in 1898. I'm going to post a separate thread in GROUPINGS. Hope you enjoy it. Bobgee

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a mounted US Navy medal group with a Good Conduct medal named to Everett D. Johnson, 1942. The medal also has a "Second Award" bar, (pin back version) and three stars which I think means that he enlisted in 1939 and stayed in the navy until 1954 or later. The American Defense ribbon has one battle star as does the Pacific Campaign ribbon which makes me wonder if this might be a Pearl Habor grouping. Is there anyway to find out more about Mr. Johnson? I checked the social security death index and found two possibles. The medals are all nice early issues. Thanks, Fred

Fred

Here is a late update. Everett D. Johnson was a Y3c on the USS Argonne 12/7/41 during the Pearl Harbor attack. His SN is 321-37-51 . He enlisted 8/24/40 .

Kurt

Here's a GCM and PH to Bertram Marion Engelman. He was on the USS FISKE (DE-143) when it was struck by torpedoes from a German U-Boat (U-804) and died on 2 August 1944. I have a lot more paperwork on Engelman but the post is about the GCM. This is one of my favorite groupings. :rolleyes:

post-634-1232852833.jpg post-634-1232852864.jpg

A photo of CRM Engelman...

post-634-1232853209.jpg

Fred Borgmann
Fred

Here is a late update. Everett D. Johnson was a Y3c on the USS Argonne 12/7/41 during the Pearl Harbor attack. His SN is 321-37-51 . He enlisted 8/24/40 .

Kurt

Many thanks Kurt! Fred