Special forces yard ceremonial shirt

pwmiraldi67

heres a small section of the picture that came also, sorry its so dark, its a bad 1970s photo copy original isnt much better but you can see at least 7 men wearing these shirts,

p

post-2472-1262713637.jpg

Paul ,

Now that is a slam dunk!!!!!

Awsome stuff .

owen

Thanks Owen

got thank my wife too for telling me to buy it LOL God bless her heart!!!

still my favorite piece!!!!!!!!!

paul

Here are two I plan on framing with the shirt of the good Col with AF General Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay in late 1968, Group HQ.

Note in the top photo the Secret service guys were there to protect leMay are carrying Uzis and shotguns, and sterile uniforms.

also, on Col. Aaron uniform the LLDB patch is not centered but placed flush left on the pocket, kinda different

p

post-2472-1262714253.jpg

post-2472-1262714268.jpg

vintageproductions

Paul-Jason is trying to do some research on this right now, to find any info on the Special Forces Commanders Conference. I know that Kinh Tang roughly translates to RESPECTFULLY PRESENTED TO.

Paul-Your initials / abbreviations translate to:

Command Headquarters / 2nd Corps / Special Forces / Military Region 2.

Paul-Jason is trying to do some research on this right now, to find any info on the Special Forces Commanders Conference. I know that Kinh Tang roughly translates to RESPECTFULLY PRESENTED TO.

Paul-Your initials / abbreviations translate to:

Command Headquarters / 2nd Corps / Special Forces / Military Region 2.

Thanks Bob!!! :thumbsup: that helps out alot, now I know, and "Knowing is half the battle" LOL

wanna come down next week and bring the shirt with me, maybe get some pix side by side :)

paul

I thought the price it sold for was a bargain. My bid was incredibly higher then what I ended up paying for it.

Maybe you didn't read the description, but the seller was the veteran's son. The veteran had passed away and he was helping his mother to try and make some extra money.

I know its a rare shirt, well ultra rare and expensive, but at the same time thats a good amount of money for me. I am surprised though, that the regular fatigues went for so much and this shirt only ended for what.... 200 more? What made the fatigues so valuable? Its unfortunate the pieces are all split up over the country now. I was hoping one rich collector picked up everything.

vintageproductions

The jungle fatigue shirts went for $350.00+ and the other a little over $400.00, not out of line for original SF advisor jungle jackets.

The ceremonial shirt sold for over $500.00.

I have no doubt these are presentational shirts with excellent provenance, rare, and with historical value. But me tends to think they were made up, sewn, and embroidered in Saigon and not made up in the hills.

vintageproductions
I have no doubt these are presentational shirts with excellent provenance, rare, and with historical value. But me tends to think they were made up, sewn, and embroidered in Saigon and not made up in the hills.

Considering the fact that Pleiku is in the Central Highlands, where there was a large Montangard population, I don't see why these would have been made in Saigon.

I have owned a few different Montangard "style" shirts that were made in Saigon and they are nothing like a real, woven one.

If you look at these shirts along with other yard garments and see the handycraft and care put into their fabric you would know that No low-lander Viet made these in a shop in town, deffinatley 100 of years of practice passed down from generation to generation on a loon. Besides the South Viets looked down at the Yards, so theres no way they would have bothered to make one of these!!

Anyone can own a SF fatigue shirt or camo jacket, I find these to be exceptional, especial when you have the one that belonged to the head dude!!

500.00 what a deal, I paid close to 2,400.00 for mine!!!!!!!!!

p

Intresting comment M-60 .

Why do you say that .?

owen

Such shirts are usually woven by the women by hand on back-strap looms in the hot season outside the planting and harvesting seasons and take quite awhile to make. To fit even fit and trim western men would take considerable advance planning. I have a hard time imagining that this meeting was planed months in advance. Not to mention that during the war years, leisure time for the highland minority folks was hard to find. Also, I was not able to find any pics of close identical shirts although the shirts are clearly highlands inspired. But unless this meeting was long in the planning, I would imagine these were created and embroidered in Saigon, perhaps using some source fabric available to higher ranking officials.

hochiminhtrail

Pleiku was no small city, and you had shops and everything that went with, dont forget it s was a military base also.

Alex

Such shirts are usually woven by the women by hand on back-strap looms in the hot season outside the planting and harvesting seasons and take quite awhile to make. To fit even fit and trim western men would take considerable advance planning. I have a hard time imagining that this meeting was planed months in advance. Not to mention that during the war years, leisure time for the highland minority folks was hard to find. Also, I was not able to find any pics of close identical shirts although the shirts are clearly highlands inspired. But unless this meeting was long in the planning, I would imagine these were created and embroidered in Saigon, perhaps using some source fabric available to higher ranking officials.

And dont forget every Yard tribe had their OWN way of weaving the fabric .

So it was the Saigon Montangard tribe who made the shirts ?

owen

Actually they all used pretty much the same method for weaving, but used differing styles and patterns for the custom embroidery and applique for the colored cloth embellishments. One can clearly see the regional similarities ranging from highland clothing from Vietnam into Burma and into Yunan Province in China. At first glance, ignoring the embroidered details in English, I can't tell whether it is from the Vietnam highlands or from Burmese or Thai hilltribes. Mt first thought was that the cloth was Lahu, a Tibetan-Lolo group. Without seeing the black cloth I can't determine whether the cloth itself is hand woven or not. Again, I would tend to think these were sewn together and embroidered in Saigon, perhaps out of original cloth from the highlands, for the reasons stated in my last post.

vintageproductions

Did you read the above posting from PWMIRALDI where it showed the letter from Aaron? Where it stated this was given to him at the 2nd Special Forces Commanders Conference? So, obviously there was a 1st, probably the year before, and I would bet there was a third the year after. I am also sure, since this was from the 2nd SF Com. Conference, they were planned way in advance, not the night or week before the meeting. A gathering like this would take a lot of planning to get all the commanders there at one time from around SouthEast Asia. In that time there was more then enough time to have shirts made. I am also sure that the embroidery was probably done in one of the local shops in Pleiku. Why go to Saigon to have something made, when there was a thriving market avaialble right there in Pleiku?

Great shirt Bob.Im glad you have it .Dont see normal yard shirts that much let alone ones attibuted to the SF Commanders Conferance.Stunning piece of cloth...just stunning.Ranks right up there with Owens erdl jacket.If I won the lottery I wouldnt know which one to buy first!!!(course a guy could buy both if the lottery came through!!!!)

Thanks for posting and sharing all the info on your shirt and thanks to Paul M too

RON

Here you go, I took the shirt out of the frame just for you!!

paul

post-2472-1262889919.jpg

post-2472-1262889937.jpg

vintageproductions

Just for clarification. In this photo are two "yard" blankets and a sarong. Same material as the Commanders Conference shirt. These three pieces came from an advisor to a RHADE MGF unit.

The shirt that is shown is from a SOG CCC veteran. The local yards made these guy's shirts for ceremonies. Not sure which tribe this shirt was from.

textiles.JPG

heres another close up of the side of the shirt.

M60 Im not sure what your talking about as far as a large size, it seems like one size fits all. Ive seen and held other yard garments and they are always very small. this one is very tiny.

paul

post-2472-1262890243.jpg

heres another close up of the side of the shirt.

M60 Im not sure what your talking about as far as a large size, it seems like one size fits all. Ive seen and held other yard garments and they are always very small. this one is very tiny.

paul

If they are indeed small and not meant to fit a westerner then that lends to a more plausible highlands origin with later English lettering embroidered in town. The ethnic embroidery in the closeup looks genuine. It is impossible to judge the black cloth from the photos whether it is hand woven or not. If as earlier posted this was a second and long planned conference then it makes more sense that the cloth is indeed of highland origin.

As far as size, what you call "yards" or "hilltribes" I call "in-laws" and they did need to make the clothing a wee but larger to fit me, even in my more fit and trim younger days. Again, I never intended to doubt the rarity or significance of these garments, but I am always question the highland origins of such garments when they have English embroidered upon them.

So its in-law hand woven fabric with English lettering !!!!!!

From the second meetings .

That gave them 365 days to plan these in-law ???shirts to be made .......

Give us a break .

Good grief Charlie Brown .

owen