USMC Utility Covers

craig_pickrall

jeremiahcable

This one is my desert MarPat that I wore during my tour in OIF. You can't see from the picture but the EGA is a greenish brown thread. I like the sewn EGA because of the simple fact that it doesn't fade away, and this one saw a lot of sun.

Jeremiah

post-8-1168312522.jpg

• 1 year later...
Here's a rule breaker. A CAP, UTILITY, SATEEN, COTTON contract dated in 1956 when conventional wisdom says they were still making HBT covers.

I just picked up one of those without an EGA: it does appear to have an Army laundry mark tough (last initial and last four of serial number). It is stamped "CAP UTILITY COTTON OG 107" and dated "26 SEPT 1956." It appears to what may be a JULY 1956 pattern date. Was the Army using 8-point caps then???????

Greg Robinson
I just picked up one of those without an EGA: it does appear to have an Army laundry mark tough (last initial and last four of serial number). It is stamped "CAP UTILITY COTTON OG 107" and dated "26 SEPT 1956." It appears to what may be a JULY 1956 pattern date. Was the Army using 8-point caps then???????

I'm not familiar with Army use of those covers in the 1950's but what about the Navy? They used the Marine pattern utility covers without the EGA emblem.

I'm not familiar with Army use of those covers in the 1950's but what about the Navy? They used the Marine pattern utility covers without the EGA emblem.

This one has that Army laundry mark. I found the exact same cap on ljmilitaria.com and he says it's a "1 JULY 1952" pattern date and since I can read the "1 JULY" part on mine I would guess it is also 1952.

52cap.jpg

Greg Robinson
This one has that Army laundry mark. I found the exact same cap on ljmilitaria.com and he says it's a "1 JULY 1952" pattern date and since I can read the "1 JULY" part on mine I would guess it is also 1952.

It looks like the M1951 cotton field cap, the one with fold down ear flap. Army and Marines used those. It's sometimes called the Patrol cap.

It looks like the M1951 cotton field cap, the one with fold down ear flap. Army and Marines used those. It's sometimes called the Patrol cap.

I've got the M1951 (several in fact) and they don't have the "8 points" and these 1952 pattern caps don't have flaps, just a wide sweatband that is not sewn down.

craig_pickrall

The big difference between Army and USMC caps is the placement of the seams. The Army is on the center line of the cap and the USMC is off center to provide a location for the EGA.

Two late versions of the Army cap is shown in this set of pics. The 1962 cap is to the right side of the first pic. Also included is a ink stamped 1956 contract cap and a 1962 issue with a white label. These were mechanic caps and possibly some others wore them as well.

post-5-1201063084.jpg

post-5-1201063090.jpg

post-5-1201063096.jpg

The big difference between Army and USMC caps is the placement of the seams. The Army is on the center line of the cap and the USMC is off center to provide a location for the EGA.

Two late versions of the Army cap is shown in this set of pics. The 1962 cap is to the right side of the first pic. Also included is a ink stamped 1956 contract cap and a 1962 issue with a white label. These were mechanic caps and possibly some others wore them as well.

The one I picked up has that exact same black stamped label. A photo on page 43 of Uniforms and Equipment of U.S. Army Infantry, Lrrps and Rangers in Vietnam 1965-1971 by Paul W. Miraldi shows an officer wearing what appears to be one of these with the distinct angled look from the 8 points: (the caption says "Note the different style hats")

armycaplarge.jpg

• 7 months later...
post-5-1166804041.jpg

post-5-1166804055.jpg

I think you have this cover mis identified. To me it appears to be the woodland camo ripstop fabric of the uniforms I started seeing in the PX's around 1987. I bought three complete sets in 1988, two I wore extensively in Thailand in 1988. One set is still new and unworn in my seachest.

Semper Fi, Rob

craig_pickrall

Rob, is there a label in the new cover you have? Can you post a pic or post the label data?

The cover I have was purchased at a surplus store in the late 1970's. There is no label in it. Most of the issue USMC covers at that time were double thickness material and had labels. This example is single thickness material.

Rob, is there a label in the new cover you have? Can you post a pic or post the label data?

The cover I have was purchased at a surplus store in the late 1970's. There is no label in it. Most of the issue USMC covers at that time were double thickness material and had labels. This example is single thickness material.

Craig, I'll get a pic up today or tomorrow, but the labels in mine are green and say the following

CAP, UTILITY

CAMOUFLAGE

TYPE II, CLASS I

DLA100-88-C-0733

8405-01-246-4177

100% COTTON

M&B HEADWEAR CO.

I bought these uniforms in early 1988, although I am pretty certain they started showing up around Dec. of 1987. They are the ripstop fabric in woodland pattern. The colors when new are very rich. My covers are all double thick material. The fabric is much more lightweight then my boot camp issue from 1985. Which made them more comfortable for wear in hot weather and tropical climates. Hence the reason I bought them prior to going to Thailand for most of 1988.

The only reason I ask about your cover is it appears to be woodland camo and not the ERDL type. I don't recall seeing any ripstop woodland until the type I mention in 1987/88. Many of the older Marines when I was just a young'un had the ERDL's. And the color difference was very distinctive.

My guess is your cover may be a small private purchase batch? Or foriegn? I have a neat Thai Marine cover that I will post pics of if your interested. It is HBT camo material of a type the U.S. did not use. Has no tags though and does not appear that it ever did.

Semper Fi, Rob

craig_pickrall

My cap was made at a cap company in Richmond, VA. They were a gov't contractor but also sold seconds, over runs, and non-issue items to surplus stores. This cap is ERDL rip stop. It was made at a time that the OD sateen cover was the only issue cover for the Marines but the uniforms were ERDL camo. I know that all the surplus stores had these but I do not know if any were ever used by anyone in the Corps.

If the Thai cover looks like the USMC HBT cover please post it so we will be able to ID it in the future.

Greg Robinson
My cap was made at a cap company in Richmond, VA. They were a gov't contractor but also sold seconds, over runs, and non-issue items to surplus stores. This cap is ERDL rip stop. It was made at a time that the OD sateen cover was the only issue cover for the Marines but the uniforms were ERDL camo. I know that all the surplus stores had these but I do not know if any were ever used by anyone in the Corps.

If the Thai cover looks like the USMC HBT cover please post it so we will be able to ID it in the future.

I also bought one of those in the late '70's at an army surplus store. Best I can recall it once had a tag that had been cut off before I bought it. Last year I gave it to my grandson and no doubt by now it's lost. But he liked it at the time and I didn't see it as being anything special. Most likely a fantasy item made for the surplus market.

• 1 year later...
usmc-collector

Late 1970s GI issue, not commercial copy, RDF pattern utility hat, confirmed date of production 1979-1981, used only for short period prior adoption of woodland pattern utility hat

JAROSLAV

post-31-1275930583.jpg

here 1983 dates photo of actual use by Marine General

post-31-1275931155.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here's a shot of my P1944 HBT cap.

DIAMOND CAP CO.

Contract NOm 45734,

date looks like

July 20(?), 1944

Army pattern HBT.

As far as I can tell, this is the first contract for this cap

post-1414-1336620136.jpg

• 2 years later...

Late 1970s GI issue, not commercial copy, RDF pattern utility hat, confirmed date of production 1979-1981, used only for short period prior adoption of woodland pattern utility hat

JAROSLAV

attachicon.gifrdf.jpg

here 1983 dates photo of actual use by Marine General

attachicon.gifrdf2.jpg

I remember owning one of these I bought in a surplus store around 1980 when I was 11 yrs old . Same pattern! Anyone know where you can get this very pattern utility cover ? Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-47227200-1433282230.jpg

This is my avatar, 2000 contract date.

post-153751-0-29678600-1433282277.jpg

This one has no markings other than the EGA.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/22/2006 at 11:11 AM, craig_pickrall said:

Vietnam made

post-5-1166803879.jpg

post-5-1166803893.jpg

....have a repop cover made in this pattern....though I'm an Army veteran, this is one of the most comfortable and practical caps I have!

• 2 months later...

....in cleaning out the house of a USMC Viet Nam vet.....came across this Nam era cover.....a little rough around edges but overall in great shape.....

20230715_114146.jpg