Hybrid Paraglider Wing?

A little history on this wing. I purchased it more than 20 years ago for less than $1.00 at a flea market in a bag of older junk jewelry. It is not marked in any way on the back. It did not come with clutch backs either. What do you guys think? Is this the real deal or not. This is not my field of expertise. I am sorry my scanner is not any clearer. Thank you Ben

post-4101-1262367130.jpg

post-4101-1262367143.jpg

Hi. If you scroll back a page or so you'll find a similar one which I posted several weeks ago..together with a variety of responses. This hybrid wing was peculiar to the 11th Abn division and is considered quite scarce (which unfortunately means that it's inevitably been a candidate for the repro/fake market..call it what you will!) That said, if as you say it's been in your possession for more than 20 years, that's quite a long time and could possibly even pre-date the repros?

Sabrejet

Hi. If you scroll back a page or so you'll find a similar one which I posted several weeks ago..together with a variety of responses. This hybrid wing was peculiar to the 11th Abn division and is considered quite scarce (which unfortunately means that it's inevitably been a candidate for the repro/fake market..call it what you will!) That said, if as you say it's been in your possession for more than 20 years, that's quite a long time and could possibly even pre-date the repros?

Sabrejet

Unfortunately, twenty years isn't all that long in the field of wing (and airborne) collecting. 20 years only takes you back to 1990 (Happy 2010 everybody!). There have been loads of reproductions made since 1945 (for WWII era badges) and a company called Quincy Sales down in Oklahoma was churning this particular badge- and just about every other variation of parachute related insignia- out in the early to mid 1970's.

As for the example shown at the begining of this thread- there is nothing about this badge that would make me believe that it is of WWII era vintage.

Allan

I always had a bad feeling about this set of wings. The price was right and I could not leave them there. I hoped they were real but at least I know. Thank you for the help. Ben

The "truly righteous" version of such wings are: 1. Sterling; 2. Made in Japan -- no US or Brit maker marks; 3. both. They began in the 188th GIR/PIR of the 11th and spread throughout the Division.

They were never authorized Army-wide. Outside the 11th, dual-qualified troopers in the 82nd and 17th wore separate wings for each qualification. I have no info on what dual-q people in the101st or 13th wore. It is doubtful they would be encouraged, and more likely than not DIScouraged, in any post-WWII Abn unit.

They have been widely faked.