Need roster for Squadron VB-85 USS SHANGRI LA

siege1863

Just picked up a small pocket diary kept by a man I believe served as a back seat gunner of a SB2C "Helldiver" on the carrier USS SHANGRI LA. The unit is identified as "Div. VB" and the man's name is Louis Math (from Illinois). The SHANGRI LA air units were VB-85 (SB2C)s, VBF-85 (F4Us), VF-85 (F6Fs) and VT-85 (TBMs).

I have found on line the rosters for VBF-85 and VF-85, but not VB-85. I would like to confirm that Math was indeed a gunner.

Thanks for any help.

Just picked up a small pocket diary kept by a man I believe served as a back seat gunner of a SB2C "Helldiver" on the carrier USS SHANGRI LA. The unit is identified as "Div. VB" and the man's name is Louis Math (from Illinois). The SHANGRI LA air units were VB-85 (SB2C)s, VBF-85 (F4Us), VF-85 (F6Fs) and VT-85 (TBMs).

I have found on line the rosters for VBF-85 and VF-85, but not VB-85. I would like to confirm that Math was indeed a gunner.

Thanks for any help.

I checked our records and find no Louie Math in VB-85. Could also find no person by that name in the ship's crew list for 1944-1945. I have a day-by-day log for the ship and the four squadrons of Air Group 85 that we can use to compare the diary with to determine its autheticity.

BTW...VF-85 flew F4U-1Cs, not F6Fs. The -1C was equipped with four 20mm cannons. VBF-85 flew F4U-1Ds which had six 50 calibers. The both squadrons used each others aircraft, depending on the mission. Hope this clarifies Air Group 85's make-up.

Let me know if you need any more assistance with the diary.

Here are photos of the cover and first two pages of the diary. Until I receive it, this is all that is available. No doubt the events and dates recorded are for the Shangri-La. The only other consideration is that I am misreading the name or notation on the cover, but I think I am correct. I find no reference to a Division UB.

post-211-1262530836.jpg

post-211-1262530848.jpg

post-211-1262530860.jpg

Here are photos of the cover and first two pages of the diary. Until I receive it, this is all that is available. No doubt the events and dates recorded are for the Shangri-La. The only other consideration is that I am misreading the name or notation on the cover, but I think I am correct. I find no reference to a Division UB.

post-211-1262530836.jpg

post-211-1262530848.jpg

post-211-1262530860.jpg

The diary appears to coincide with the the ship's log. Unfortunately I can not post the logs here because of the size. I can send them to you by email.

The Division is very curious. Never heard of UB Division. I will research this more and let you know.

My email is [email protected]

Stinger Gunner USMC

when looking through the rosters, have you considered that "Math" could be short for Mathews, Mathis or some other surname? Being that the name takes up the entire width of the notebook, he may have shortened his name to fit.