Red Dawn

gwb123

Have you been to the upper midwest? The Northwoods is just as redneck-y and densely-forested as the southeast.
I have indeed been to that part of the country. While I agree it is very heavily wooded, it’s not nearly impassable as the vast areas of cypress swamps (soupy all year around) as you’ll find along the Gulf Coast in the Southeast.

I have indeed been to that part of the country. While I agree it is very heavily wooded, it’s not nearly impassable as the vast areas of cypress swamps (soupy all year around) as you’ll find along the Gulf Coast in the Southeast.

Just wait till winter. :disgust:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not even a big fan of the original Red Dawn, but I can see the value as a "classic." I'm not really sure why they feel the need to remake this, unless they're completely out of ideas. Regardless I'm certain it won't be as popular or as good as the original, although now we'll be cursed with an entire generation of kids who ask, "There was a Red Dawn movie in the 80s? I thought the 2010 was the original..."

Personally I'm waiting on the remake of Casablanca starring Zac Efron and some cookie cutter starlet.

pathfinder505
For a homemade video, it wasn't all that bad. I couldn't have done any better. But yes, it's a fan-boy made trailer. No question. As for the real movie, I assume that in this new version, Canada got overrun as well given how close it takes place to the border. Imagine the enemy staging out of a Quebec that is in a state of revolt at the time? That wouldn't be impossible to imagine. In a post-9/11 world where we take nothing for granted anymore, I think this is a good time for such a movie. Nobody would accept it before 2000 but these days, it's still a huge stretch but our sense of "what could happen" has been expanded quite a bit.

The original's location was a good one as it was isolated in the center of the country. I don't think of the Great Lakes area with the same regard. Frankly, I always thought having it take place in the south would have been better. I can more easily imagine Northern Florida redneck boys slugging it out against an amphibious invasion along the Gulf coast, then falling back into dense swamps where heavy rains and impassible terrain (swamps that no vehicle could get through) kill the effectiveness of most modern military forces. I grew up there so that's why I imagine it like that.

The south has already had to deal with Sherman, I vote to take it to Central Indiana. :lol:

The original’s location was a good one as it was isolated in the center of the country. I don’t think of the Great Lakes area with the same regard. Frankly, I always thought having it take place in the south would have been better. I can more easily imagine Northern Florida redneck boys slugging it out against an amphibious invasion along the Gulf coast, then falling back into dense swamps where heavy rains and impassible terrain (swamps that no vehicle could get through) kill the effectiveness of most modern military forces. I grew up there so that’s why I imagine it like that.

Oh yes, battle for the Everglades!

I spent several years growing up in both south and north Florida, and you're dead on about the terrain.

Québec, the staging area of the Chinese Army ? The French-Canadians are traitors by choice or under the threat of the gun ? :D

It could never happen! Everyone knows that the folks North of the border in Quebec will not even talk to you unless you speak French. The logistics for the Chinese would be too much for them to bear. By the time the Chinese would have the people of Quebec completely over on their side, the element of surprise would have passed by several years. :rolleyes:

Personally I'm waiting on the remake of Casablanca starring Zac Efron and some cookie cutter starlet.

Ugh! Sacrilege! Beyond the thought of any person of reason!

Casablanca started off a a B rated "picture of the month" that were routinely cranked out by the studios. Typically these lasted in the theaters all of about three weeks, if that much. Keep in mind, people did not watch TV back then, and the public was always looking for the next new thing.

The combination of talent, scripting, production values and historical context created a classic almost by accident.

As for the studios ever remaking it... with the current crop of remakes I'm sure it has crossed somebody's mind. And if course, if made today they would probably do it in COLOR! Yatch! I heard that even "Gone With the Wind" was once considered for a remake. Sometimes I think the only reason they do this is to give the current crop of stars something to do.

By the way, as far as remakes go, coming to a TV near you we will soon see rehashings of "V" and "The Prisoner". "V" looks promising with current generation special effects, while "The Prisoner" looks completely drained of the psychological mind games that made the first one a classic.

• 2 months later...

I love this movie. The acting, like all movies from this era is not the best, but the plot is original and entertaining right until the end.

Also if you're a COD modern warfare 2 fan you need to watch this. ;)

I believe there is no new thoughts out of Commiewood, mostly same crap recycled. Even ones you think are new were done overseas first usually. The one that blew my mine was "THE DEPARTED" I thought finally some one wrote a new script, yeah right, then I watched a Chinese film from 2001 called "INTERNAL AFFAIRS?", same show but in Chinese, shot in Hong Kong or Shang-Hi. As to the B/W film question, most producers/directors only used it because of the expense of color, not for some great artistic reasoning.

Terry

Is that youtube video really the official trailer? It's beyond horrible.

No. It's a fake. At the end it said summer 2009 when the movie info said Sep. 2010. Plus the audio and digital fx looked like a 20 year old college student did this video.

sam

Misanthropic_Gods
No. It's a fake. At the end it said summer 2009 when the movie info said Sep. 2010. Plus the audio and digital fx looked like a 20 year old college student did this video.

sam

Hey man, I AM a 20 year old college student, and even I (who has a high tolerance for bad films) found it horrible! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Divinemind

The original was awesome! You gotta love the scene where the guy hits the Gunner in the Russian Attack Helicopter with the RPG! :thumbsup: Pretty amazing shot from that distance.

• 5 months later...
Ugh! Sacrilege! Beyond the thought of any person of reason!

Casablanca started off a a B rated "picture of the month" that were routinely cranked out by the studios. Typically these lasted in the theaters all of about three weeks, if that much. Keep in mind, people did not watch TV back then, and the public was always looking for the next new thing.

The combination of talent, scripting, production values and historical context created a classic almost by accident.

As for the studios ever remaking it... with the current crop of remakes I'm sure it has crossed somebody's mind. And if course, if made today they would probably do it in COLOR! Yatch! I heard that even "Gone With the Wind" was once considered for a remake. Sometimes I think the only reason they do this is to give the current crop of stars something to do.

By the way, as far as remakes go, coming to a TV near you we will soon see rehashings of "V" and "The Prisoner". "V" looks promising with current generation special effects, while "The Prisoner" looks completely drained of the psychological mind games that made the first one a classic.

Hollywierd like all spheres of our economy has suffered tremendously since the 2008 hit. As a professional musician I can say, the current state of the entertainment industry is one of cutbacks on the everything of quality in favor of quantity. The music of the last five years has no memorable qualities to it (i.e. composition). Forgettable rubbish that is just extremely well produced in order to fit current trends pumped by a failing record industry. Reality TV, much like the remakes, are due to the unwillingness to pay writers. Late night TV and SNL are prime examples of such cutbacks. The entertainment industry is totally adverse to taking risks on new material. instead they repeat the same cheap garbage and take for granted that people won't notice.

In the case of Red Dawn, its proved to be a video classic. The script is written and it appears in every aspect low risk and worth throwing a million in special effects and 3D to give you a visual orgy likely to result in seizure. Throw a few hot names on under the title and presto, you have another Hollywood faceplant.

As for remaking Gone With the Wind or Casablanca...I have one suggestion for what to do with the producer who thinks that a great idea... massacre.gif

Here you go. You'll need to move on and advance to 2:46 in the time-line to watch the actual sequence they are rehearsing leading up to locking the shot. Basically the Wolverines are ambushing in this scene. Nice to actually see live pyro and weapons fire versus them putting it in with CGI.

I will give the film a chance though I grew up with the original. John Milius is just simply the man behind so many great films.

It appears to be a moot point anyway. MGM went belly-up again and now there are serious doubts that this film will ever get into a theater. It’s a shame as they were into post-production at the time. The only people financing larger-budget films right now apparently are – wait for it – the Chinese and go figure, they don’t want to back this one! The James Bond franchise is also on indefinite hold for the same reason. Click this link for further info.

• 1 month later...

Check this news story out. Hopefully that means that the Red Dawn re-make will finally go to post-production and get released eventually. :thumbsup:

Here’s the first cast photo from the new movie. I have no idea who any of these people are, but then again, I didn’t know anyone from the original cast when the first movie came out: rd_cast.jpg

Check this news story out. Hopefully that means that the Red Dawn re-make will finally go to post-production and get released eventually. :thumbsup:

Here’s the first cast photo from the new movie. I have no idea who any of these people are, but then again, I didn’t know anyone from the original cast when the first movie came out: rd_cast.jpg

Well... one of those attractive young ladies is the daughter of a militaria collector from Ohio. Seems she has a good start on a Hollywood career with a regular TV series and this movie among her credits. I am not acquainted, but I do know that the local gang is very happy for her success, and quite enthusiastic that she landed a role in this particular film.

oooh. Red Dawn.

I was the target audience for this film, graduated High School in '89, male, drove a 20 year old V8 muscle car and loved Rambo and Missing in Action type movies. I lived at the movie theater for the last half of the '80s. I saw lots of movies. Saw a lot of them over and over. Lots of them were horrid. This was the decade of Howard the Duck and Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo, and don't forget the epitome of horrid film, Ishtar. I never saw Ishtar, but I did see a lot of rotten films. Some because they were fun, like The Ice Pirates. That movie still kills me, just cracks me up. Don't know why. It stinks but I love it

I saw dozens and dozens of films at the theater in the '80s. Snuck into many, and so it was with Red Dawn. I went to two films in the '80s that I walked out of. One was Vice Versa. The other one was Red Dawn. I didn't even buy a ticket, but I felt ripped off. I know a lot of people love this movie and want to hug it to pieces but it gives me the dry heaves! :lol:

Red Dawn was filmed in Las Vegas New Mexico. The opening scene where the paratroopers land on the high school; that was really an elementary school, my Father in Law was the principle there at the time. Las Vegas is also where most of No Country for Old Men was filmed.

• 1 month later...
You’re not going to believe this: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...,0,995726.story Apparently Hollywood HAS been invaded by China. They’re digitally removing all Chinese references with this re-make and making the enemy the North Koreans to keep from angering their Chinese masters!

That just took a slightly plausible story and made it totally unbelievable.

It shows you where the money is...

When they made the original "Red Dawn" I doubt anybody worried about losing out on the Russian cinema market. But today, you don't see that many "the Russians are the bad guys" movies, unless they refer to the Russian Mafia operating in the US.