Red Dawn

gwb123

Just like there is comfort food, there are also comfort movies... something to watch while you are sick at home wondering if you merely have a bad cold or the dreaded H1N1. Nothing that will tax your fevered brain, but utterly lacking in nutrition or meaning.

One of mine is the classic Red Dawn. I'm sorry, but watching those Russian (or was it Soviet... the Cold War has been gone for so long it is hard to remember) paratroopers descending out of the sky and landing on American holy ground (the high school football field) just never gets old. Come on, who didn't cheer when those kids were driving to escape out of town and that Army National guard Huey swoops out of the sky and blows away the Ruskie tanks in front of them? Makes ya proud!

Well for those of you who missed it the first time, IT'S BACK AGAIN and coming next year to a theater near you! Only this time instead of the Russians and their New World Order Cuban allies running amok in the Heartland of America it is the Chinese!

What a movie for our times! As if we did not have enough to worry about in the real world, we now have a technicolor tale crafted by Hollywood's best showing the US being overrun by the legendary Chinese hordes!

The filming of this blockbuster is bringing in scads of cash to economically strapped Michigan, which is a good thing. Reportedly this is the biggest film project they've landed yet. But wouldn't it be supremely ironic if some of the financing came from a cash rich foreign source trying to offset their trade surplus... like maybe, um... China?

Just think next year Wal-Mart, a company that made a fortune importing goods from China, will have the boxed set of Red Dawn and Red Dawn the Remake just in time for the holidays! But for me, I just cannot imagine it beating out the original...

For more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYCdp1ik_0

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/category/re...ake-2010-movie/

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/plot-detail...ed-dawn-reboot/

red_dawn_2.jpg

It'll never live up to the original!! Red Dawn was a great Cold War movie which my Russian language professor would show in class. Two reasons for that, very few Russian language movies were available for viewing in the pre-DVD age (except Moscow on the Hudson and the toast scene from Patton) and our professor was an ardant anti-communist who enjoyed seeing the reds get beat.

WOLVERINE!!

I know I'm counting on my town's teenagers to save the USA: of course I live in Oceanside, California and we have thousands of teenagers who are Marines at Camp Pendleton.

Here's a sampling of RED DAWN art from over the years:

reddawn.jpg

red_dawn.jpg

red_dawn_dvd__large_.jpg

Manchu Warrior

The original was a great movie, and don't forget the Cubans, and after reading this thread I want to run out and buy it. RIP Patrick.

No way on earth will it live up to the original. I just saw it for the first time last week. CLASSIC movie. How on earth they expect Chris Hemmsworth of all people ( such a wooden actor imho ) to out act Patrick Swayze is beyond me? And his female co star, the also Aussie Isabel Lucas, i'm praying she doesn't wreck The Pacific 'too' much, let alone another classic movie altogether. Another one who is pretty heavy in the wooden emotion department in my eyes. I guess you can already tell my opinion of the remake, so i'll leave it there......

As a side note, on the set of the Civil War tv series "North and South" when Patrick Swayze would appear, the cry of "Wolverine!" would go up from the reenactors.

Is that youtube video really the official trailer? It's beyond horrible.

Then check out this one for Grey Dawn:

greydawn.jpg

Is that youtube video really the official trailer? It's beyond horrible.

+1 the CGI'd airliners and choppers did not look like they belonged in the shot.

Misanthropic_Gods
+1 the CGI'd airliners and choppers did not look like they belonged in the shot.

Agreed.....man that trailer is bad. This MAYBE had promise when I first heard about it, but now I feel its safe to say this is going to be horrible.

Manchu Warrior
Agreed.....man that trailer is bad. This MAYBE had promise when I first heard about it, but now I feel its safe to say this is going to be horrible.

I went on You Tube and looked and all I could find was clips of the original movie. Can someone point me in the right direction of the new trailer?

I did realize someone already posted a link to it I must be getting old. :crying:

Uhhhhh guys the youtube trailor is 100% fake. You can see the landing craft scene in Saving Private Ryan in it for crying out loud. Plus there are army recruitment comercial scenes in the end. :thumbdown:

I couldn't make heads or tails of the trailer. (It looks like a highschool project that was put together with a bunch of cut sceens from other productions). I thought at first it was a joke, but I did some Google searches and found some sites with pics that tie into the trailer to the movie. A couple had crashed airliner pieces in residential neighborhoods, so the trailer may not be so far off, just poorly made.

The original is a classic! Nothing will beat it. This new one will have prettier people in it with more explosions and be filled with a buch of CGI. I cannot believe they are making this over, but I guess somewhere someone needs to get paid.

Red Dawn was the movie that made me want an AK, and thats why I have one today. Just one teenage movie fantasy made a reality.

Troy

In fairness, I think the trailers we are seeing out there are only mock ups at this point. Filming just started this month. Supposedly a lot of money is being spent on this film, so hopefully the final version will be better.

I remember some of the CGI in the first trailers for the second Transformers movies looked like toy boats in a bath tub. The movie was apparently much better done.

Misanthropic_Gods
Uhhhhh guys the youtube trailor is 100% fake. You can see the landing craft scene in Saving Private Ryan in it for crying out loud. Plus there are army recruitment comercial scenes in the end. :thumbdown:

Well that explains it, and I dont watch TV so the Army propaganda wouldnt stick out to me. At least my expectations will be low for the REAL one, and I might be surprised :lol:

Here is the link to the trailer again Manchu, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYCdp1ik_0

gwb123, great post (writing).

I have heard rumors of this film being in production but, really, what "remake" movie has actually stood up to the original? I'll watch it, but still end up picking it apart piece by piece.

Also,

WOLVERRRINES!

For a homemade video, it wasn’t all that bad. I couldn’t have done any better. But yes, it’s a fan-boy made trailer. No question. As for the real movie, I assume that in this new version, Canada got overrun as well given how close it takes place to the border. Imagine the enemy staging out of a Quebec that is in a state of revolt at the time? That wouldn’t be impossible to imagine. In a post-9/11 world where we take nothing for granted anymore, I think this is a good time for such a movie. Nobody would accept it before 2000 but these days, it’s still a huge stretch but our sense of “what could happen” has been expanded quite a bit.

The original’s location was a good one as it was isolated in the center of the country. I don’t think of the Great Lakes area with the same regard. Frankly, I always thought having it take place in the south would have been better. I can more easily imagine Northern Florida redneck boys slugging it out against an amphibious invasion along the Gulf coast, then falling back into dense swamps where heavy rains and impassible terrain (swamps that no vehicle could get through) kill the effectiveness of most modern military forces. I grew up there so that’s why I imagine it like that.

Quebec allied with China and serving as a staging area for invading the US? That would be interesting.

Actually, from some of the footage thats out there, the first wave of Chinese paratroopers come jumping out of civilian airliners.

Hollywood must be in lack of good script to remake Red Dawn, the classic Cold War movie.

Like I already wrote elsewhere in the forum in another thread, why would "Red China" invade and destroy the land of its best customers ? :think: Even for a Hollywood movie.

Québec, the staging area of the Chinese Army ? The French-Canadians are traitors by choice or under the threat of the gun ? :D

The original’s location was a good one as it was isolated in the center of the country. I don’t think of the Great Lakes area with the same regard. Frankly, I always thought having it take place in the south would have been better. I can more easily imagine Northern Florida redneck boys slugging it out against an amphibious invasion along the Gulf coast, then falling back into dense swamps where heavy rains and impassible terrain (swamps that no vehicle could get through) kill the effectiveness of most modern military forces. I grew up there so that’s why I imagine it like that.

Have you been to the upper midwest? The Northwoods is just as redneck-y and densely-forested as the southeast.

Like I already wrote elsewhere in the forum in another thread, why would "Red China" invade and destroy th land of its best customers ? :think: Even for a Hollywood movie.

Seriously, as of this year the Chinese have loaned the US over a trillion dollars, including $800 Billion in US Treasury Bills.

If somebody owed you that kind of money, would you suddenly drop out of the sky and burn down their house? Or their hydro-electric plant?