OD Alpaca-lined USMC Vests

Bob Hudson

I think this thread has pretty well established that these are USMC issue vests, but here's one more confirmation:

post-265-0-15213700-1533861984_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-93941500-1533862009_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-37794200-1533862028_thumb.jpg

This vest came from a group named to an officer who served in the USMC from 1952-1954. As far as I can tell he never served in Korea but he obtained this vest somehow. Interestingly, the name on the hanger is not the name of the officer, so he may have gotten it second-hand.

I thought this was an Air Corp vest and was wondering how it fit with the USMC group - especially with the different name - but then I found this thread and it all came together. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread over the years!

Nice find - they are hard to find.

A lot of Marine clothing items from that era often have two more names in them - I've seen it on everything from dress blues to HBT dungarees. Guess they were more into recycling in those days :)

• 2 years later...

I used to find these one or twice a year, but it's been several years since I found one. This week I came across two, one very nice overall, the other with some stains and a tear.

If youve read this thread all the way through, you know these are the Marine Corps issue, with zippers - not buttons - and no pockets.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• 5 months later...

This author states it was adopted for USMC in 1942

http://usww2uniforms.com/USMC_vest_alpaca_pile_lined.html#

Here's my father's. 

Almost certainly issued to him when at an airfield in North China (Operation Beleager) 1945-46.  First Sgt (acting) USMC.

First Initial of First name and Last name stenciled on bottom of back.

Like a lot folks of that generation good clothing was used, not saved for a museum.  Under that influence I wore it quite a bit for a few winters, but now its mostly retired.

I'd be interested in learning more about alapaca pile lining.  Don't see it much these days.

USMC-Pile-Lined-Vest_-1-.JPG

USMC-Pile-Lined-Vest_-5-.JPG

USMC-Pile-Lined-Vest_-2-.JPG

10 minutes ago, Matt_X said:

adopted for USMC in 1942

I think the author of that confused the Korean War USMC vests with the ones issued by the Army Air Force in WWII, which had buttons or snaps, and pockets. It would be an odd bit of cold weather gear for the Marines to request in 1942. They start showing up in photos during the occupation of Japan. Most are unmarked, except for maybe size, but in researching these we found labels on some, labels which seem to show the maker is Oldin-Dennis, a large producer of B-10 flight jackets during WWII. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Hudson said:

I think the author of that confused the Korean War USMC vests with the ones issued by the Army Air Force in WWII, which had buttons or snaps, and pockets. It would be an odd bit of cold weather gear for the Marines to request in 1942. They start showing up in photos during the occupation of Japan. Most are unmarked, except for maybe size, but in researching these we found labels on some, labels which seem to show the maker is Oldin-Dennis, a large producer of B-10 flight jackets during WWII. 

Suppose the best thing might be to ask him.   He cites contracts dating from Feb '42, but I don't know what information is in contracts.  I do see the contracts all start with N.  But based on his observations of 'different types some with buttons' it does seem like he may be confusing these with Army Air.  I'll try e-mailing him.

1 hour ago, Matt_X said:

He cites contracts dating from Feb '42,

That would be interesting to see. I don't think anyone's ever posted photos of a USMC alpaca vest with a contract number. When we started the forum these were routinely called AAF vests even among experienced collectors and dealers. 

Yes. I have a mint one that I purchased long ago just in case it was AAF although I had no other reason to see it as such - it was pressure primarily from the repeat talk of collectors who were simply repeating incorrect info.

Anyone need one? 😉 What's the going rate?

2 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

What's the going rate?

50 bucks, which is about  what they went for when I sold this vest  14  years ago: the uniform is all original to one Marine and my wife let me set this up in the dining room to photograph it.

shuremannequin.jpg

It actually  stayed in the never-used dining room for a long time and you could absent mindedly walk in there and get taken aback when you caught this grunt out of the corner of your eye.

1 hour ago, Bob Hudson said:

That would be interesting to see. I don't think anyone's ever posted photos of a USMC alpaca vest with a contract number. When we started the forum these were routinely called AAF vests even among experienced collectors and dealers. 

The contract numbers on the webpage linked above.  But nothing that specificly explains the linkage to the vests.

Is there a way to look those up on-line or in person?

I emailed the site owner/creator/author so maybe he'll answer.

If you have a good one that fits me I'd buy it.  They're good vests (unless you really want pockets).  :)

Its hard to find collarless or even low collar work vests these days.   I've got one (modern, not a collectible!) and I wear it alot in cool weather, and especially cold weather under a coat.

When I dig out my father's photo album I'll see if there any pictures with marines wearing vests.

17 hours ago, Matt_X said:

This author states it was adopted for USMC in 1942

http://usww2uniforms.com/USMC_vest_alpaca_pile_lined.html#

Okay I found his very good info on that. It confirms my belief that Oldin Dennis made these, I've seening no labels or stamps with their name or contract info on it. THey made these until 1945?  Sounds good because they're weren't much use on hot Pacific islands but when Marines went into Japan and China and later Korea things got a little cooler. They must have been highly coveted in Korea. 

Click the above link to see all of this good info:

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 8.00.29 PM.png

The bulk of these vests tend to come with Conmar zippers which I don't believe have any known marking for year of manufacture. Talon on the other hand did label their zippers up until the end of WW2.  The times that I've had these vests with Talon zips, they have always with zippers produced in 1945.

This one has not been "slit" at the nape of the neck. I'm guessing that was a dewat thing when many of these went to surplus.

Also the cheesecloth tag is only the size, of course. Here a 38.  The hangar loop appears to be a bit different on many of these.

This one is not a "Demotex" but has the Talon zipper though in the form of Conmar. No zipper marking like the early M-39 and M-42 Talons.

Any idea if the "Demotex - moths will not damage" label was for civi sporting goods? Such a "patented" label is not unheard of but a bit odd for a GI garment.

Dave

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail4.jpg

Hmm. Reviewing this thread, all the vests pictured that are named, painted, patched, UNIS-marked, or came from family or known Marine vets are not ripped at the neck, though the two named ones in the eBay photos do appear to have some fraying at the collar.

It appears, anecdotally, the vests that are found in thrift shops, just show up, and those unnamed and with no provenance tend to be the vests that get ripped regardless of the condition of the rest of the vest.

Dave

27 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

This one is not a "Demotex"

Demotex is a moth-proofing process, not the maker. That would be Oldin Dennis Co. Various styles of labels show up on these but none of  what we would expect to find on military contract clothing. Oldin Dennis, which advertised what they called, "our famous line of alpaca - lined sportswear ( made of Timme Tuft )" The Demotex labels likely just means it was used to treat the alpaca wool.  I suspect that at some point someone realized there's not need to label Marine Corps vests with the name of the treatment. :)

Sorry Bob. I meant that it didn't have that label. I remembered your discovery of the maker. indeed quite similar to the B-10 and B-15s and their respective trousers. The presence of such labels reminds me of the union labels and the like on some military clothing - a bid odd.

Thanks for the correction.

Nope.  My vest was not a trophy or sentimental garment packed away.  My dad war it in mountains of China and back home.  Then I frequently wore in winter until it started getting thread bare around the collar and losing some lining.

• 2 years later...
zachajda

Hi! Just adding detailed photos of one vest for sale in mint condition. If you are interested please let me know. Located in Europe. 

IMG_7173.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7175.jpeg

IMG_7176.jpeg

IMG_7177.jpeg