WWI Lapel Button?

I think it was worn to show that the wearer was exempt from the draft because of his occupation or some other reason. There was very real pressure put on perceived slackers and draft-dodgers. A healthy looking man was bound to be under suspicion of trying to get out of serving.

I think it was worn to show that the wearer was exempt from the draft because of his occupation or some other reason. There was very real pressure put on perceived slackers and draft-dodgers. A healthy looking man was bound to be under suspicion of trying to get out of serving.

I like your theory better than mine.

Kurt

That's correct, althought I can't give a documentation for how I know that, other than the history of the times. Very much like the Civil War, when young men NOT in service in the south would be sent petticoats or otherwise belittled by young women, patriotic fervor, once America joined the 'fray', was at an all time high. Those who were NOT in service, and considered draft dodgers, could (and sometimes did) find themselves run out of town on a rail or worse.

Thus, your pin would have been worn by a worker in, say, a munitions plant, or other 'essential' type work, on the lapel of a civilian suit to show that he was exempt from the draft (and please don't beat/harrass/arrest/molest me LOL).

It's a neat, and now little seen item for sure.