Rex G. Beecher Scout Sniper Tarawa Silver Star Winner

Kurt Barickman

:w00t: :w00t: One of the best Marine Corps groupings I've ever seen, especially being a documented SecMarDiv/Tarawa group! The envy of all of us M.C. guys, Kurt :thumbsup:

Finally, one of these odd camo "hunting caps" shows up. The only time I've ever seen them is in that photo of the 4 guys firing the "liberated" Japanese Mountain Gun. This pic is featured in Guy Gabaldon's (the "Pied Piper of Saipan") autobiography, and he identifies them as Cpl. Bush (kneeling), Cpl. Elrod (cheering), Sgt. Lenhert (binocs) and Sgt. Virgil Strong (hands over ears). He writes that early in the morning, the Japanese holed up in town would arise and gather up over by a wrecked Cadillac to take their morning whiz, whereupon the Marines would open up on them with the M.G.. He said it was astounding that they kept going over there every morning, and kept getting blasted :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Kurt, Here's a BAD quick picture of my grandfathers ribbons Looks like they may have had a few things in common. I don't remember how I took them off his Blue's if the bar w Good Conduct is the middle or unit citation. But the ribbon bar order was NEVER touched.... I'll send you some good close ups of his shoulder cord FCDG. I think it was made in australia I tried to replace it thinking it was lost, then my mother handed it to me knowing I was putting his things in order. Blue Jacket dry Cleaned cause there was mold and basement webs. Almost put back together now. Missing his right collar EGA. At least 95 % of the uniform is all his. I feel so much better knowing these things weren't lost for good. Now they'll be under glass. Let's talk soon. Great job on your work.

Pat. post-9986-1269120416.jpgpost-9986-1269120932.jpg Edward F Claffey USMC Silver Star

• 1 month later...

Tac marked items are seriously under valued!!! Would look good with a certain 4th Div Scout/Sniper group that I know of.....

• 3 months later...
Shot of the Scout Sniper platoon on New Zealand prior to Tarawa

Kurt

I am looking for Info on a Roy Auer. He was a Marine in the 2nd Division 10th Marines. Served in combat on Guadacanal, Tarawa and Saipan. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions on Saipan where he was KIA. I am wondering if he is depicted in your photos here. I know what he looks like but its hard to make out who is in the photos.

Thanks

Kurt Barickman

No, he wouldn't be pictured in a Scout Sniper group photo.Your best bet is to write to the National Archives for his file and also you should request his IDFP file. (Individual Deceased Personnel File) Good luck and when possible please post his Silver Star citation.

Kurt Barickmam

No, he wouldn't be pictured in a Scout Sniper group photo.Your best bet is to write to the National Archives for his file and also you should request his IDFP file. (Individual Deceased Personnel File) Good luck and when possible please post his Silver Star citation.

Kurt Barickmam

Done and waiting for the file. Will post his citation when I receive it. I understand he had a letter from Roosevelt written to his family as well. I am creating a video of his service record and will post it.

Darren D.

Kurt Barickman

Great looking forward to it. Do you have the date of his death? Curious as to whether he may have been KIA during the night time banzai attack on Saipan which the 10th Marines took a part of the brunt. Interesting reading in that the 10th cannoneers were cutting fuses on their pack howitzer rounds to explode barely out of the barrel.

Kurt Barickman

Great looking forward to it. Do you have the date of his death? Curious as to whether he may have been KIA during the night time banzai attack on Saipan which the 10th Marines took a part of the brunt. Interesting reading in that the 10th cannoneers were cutting fuses on their pack howitzer rounds to explode barely out of the barrel.

Kurt Barickman

Cpl Auer died June 20th, 44' so no he didn't die in the giant Banzai charge in July. On June 20th the 2nd 10th were the supporting artillery for the 4th division attack on "Hill 500". He won the Silver Star the same day he died so there must of been some heroics surrounding his death. Perhaps he was a stretcher bearer; I'll found out hopefully when the copy of his file gets to me.

Darren D.

• 9 months later...
Cpl Auer died June 20th, 44' so no he didn't die in the giant Banzai charge in July. On June 20th the 2nd 10th were the supporting artillery for the 4th division attack on "Hill 500". He won the Silver Star the same day he died so there must of been some heroics surrounding his death. Perhaps he was a stretcher bearer; I'll found out hopefully when the copy of his file gets to me.

Darren D.

To follow-up attached is a copy of Cpl. Roy Auer Silver Star Citiation which also describes the circumstances of his death. I also created a short film based upon his military service and this is the link:

The President of the United States takes Pride in presenting

the SILVER STAR MEDAL posthumously to

CORPORAL ROY N. AUER,

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS,

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity while serving with the Second Battlalion, Tenth Marines, Second Marine Division, in action against enemy forces on Saipan, Marianas Islands, 20 June 1944. Courageously volunteering to enter a blazing dump which vast supplies of artillery and mortar ammunition, Corporal Auer worked desperately to extinguish the flames threatening further stores of explosives. Mortally wounded in carrying out his heroic task, Corporal Auer, by his alert initiative, superb daring and unflinching devotion to duty at the risk of his own life, upheld the highest tradition of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.”

For the President,

JAMES FORRESTAL

Secretary of the Navy.

Milford, Indiana

post-13772-1307502201.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Wow, you really did a great job with the video; excellent detail :thumbsup: . Another sad story about the impact on war on a small town family in Indiana; times two. :thumbdown:

Thanks for remembering and honoring this family and their sacrifice.

Kurt Barickman

• 8 months later...

post-9986-1330201669.jpg

P1080058.jpgP1080059.jpg

P1080062.jpg

427218_153107258139943_100003220091962_193016_442173214_n.jpgP1080066.jpg

We have a few thing in common here. Message me I may have some pictures

And Kurt Could you possibly email me a larger picture of the scout Sniper Platoon you have.

Thanks,

Patrick

post-9986-1330201945.jpg

arickman @ Aug 4 2010, 05:36 AM)

Kurt Barickmam

Done and waiting for the file. Will post his citation when I receive it. I understand he had a letter from Roosevelt written to his family as well. I am creating a video of his service record and will post it.

Darren D.

Darren I may have some photos... Email me a picture I'll look for his face. Above Are my Grandparents. As you can see they may have crossed paths in sniper school. I will search hard for you. There's a lot to got through.

• 10 years later...

Wow. Just read this years later but watched the video and it was quite moving.

Thank you for honoring our fallen.

Dave