Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

MVC-025L.JPG

The strap on one set is named. VGS-11 was the unit he served with until he transferred to VT-21 at Guadalcanal.

MVC-026L.JPG

Here is a photo of him in 1944 wearing one of the helmet and goggles. Looks like he might be wearing a leather helmet in the photo.

boom.jpg

Photo of him on Guadalcanal wearing what appears to be the Helmet with the red TC-66 receivers. Note the art on his May West and the Thompson he is holding!

boom2.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Photo of him on Guadalcanal wearing what appears to be the Helmet with the red receivers. Note the art on his May West and the Thompson he is holding!

attachicon.gifboom2.jpg

Great picture!

TorpedoSquadron11

Kurt,

Thanks for posting these. I am glad you picked up this grouping. Seeing named VT-11 gear makes my day.

Tim

Great stuff....but so sad to see the goggle cushions deteriorating like that...70 year old rubber products can be very unpredictable in that respect.

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks for the feedback guys! Do you think I should restore the goggles or leave the crusty rubber pads on them?

Kurt

Leave them crusty I think even very salty pads look better than the repros.

That is a fantastic setup Kurt. Congratulations, the grouping went to a good home and it will be well taken care of. I love the history on that one. I personally would replace the pads with original pads (please do not put repro pads on those), my rationale is that the pads you currently have look un salvageable and hardened to the point of being rock hard. Some damaged pads are still usable even though they may be completely detached from the frame but with the ones you have on those you will never be able to do anything with them and you won't be able to display them with the helmets. Also the aviator did not mark the pads (it looks like only the straps are named) so you would not lose any personal stuff the aviator may have added.

I got this set a few months back. It is a 1092 summer helmet with rigger added oxygen snaps thta came from the A-14 kit, I haven't seen thta many customized this way:

170_zps55429138.jpg

171_zps9049ea6e.jpg

172_zps6b122c6e.jpg

173_zpse848846a.jpg

I just received this helmet. It is a fantastic 1092 leather helmet with TC66 cups added and oxy snaps. I added a pair of AN6531 Bausch and Lomb glasses. THose helmets are getting quite hard to find and I am REALLY pleased I got this one:

156_zpse33a2df9.jpg

153_zps7a46898e.jpg

155_zpsdfef591f.jpg

157_zps9d447a02.jpg

154_zps3e934209.jpg

Another M-450, very well named and with original lucky charms. It looks like it belonged to agunner as the receivers is the rather rare left sided version for the communication plug. I really love all the personnal modifications added by the aviator.

165_zpsf2b47b7a.jpg

162_zps78d3e2e7.jpg

158_zps34d3337e.jpg

159_zps22c8bf9a.jpg

161_zpsd7b7e87b.jpg

One helmet that I have had for while is this late WWII / Korean war nylon flight helmet. I love it because it unique. It was 100% rigger made. It is a huge size so I assume that is the reason why it was made from scratch. It is made of extremely thick nylon material (way thicker than the the late war green nylon Navy version. The oxy snap that came with it is post war but the helmet could have been made at any time between 1944 and the Korean war.

174_zpsdeff37f5.jpg

176_zpsda77fbee.jpg

177_zpsbce6aa6b.jpg

175_zpsd50dcdc1.jpg

178_zps83f8d0fb.jpg

181_zps956c54a4.jpg

Terrific helmet...like a nylon AN-H-15.

Thanks, it is definitely unique and when I received it I could not believe it. It is the only flight helmet I know of that was made from the ground up.

M450 with Lucky Charms is the best :) glad You got it !!!!!!!!!

About last custom made nylon example as we were talking, I supposed that this one is a 50s hard shell helmet liner...

Cheers,

Jerry

This is my latest purchase and I am REALLY glad I won it. A WWII nylon naval flight helmet with oxygen snaps added is one of the rarest naval aviator flight helmets from WWII you can possibly get. I did not have one and I had been looking for a long time for one. This one is not only rare but named to someone who has seen a lot of action in WWII and Korea.

Lt. Colonel Luther S. Moore (USMC) had a big role in assisting the USAAF in planning the interception of Admiral Yamamoto as part of Operation Vengeance on April 18, 1943. He assisted in training and outfitting the P-38's with better navigational equipment.

Lt. Moore was a USMC pilot who flew Brewster F2A3 and F4F4 Wilcats as the C/O of VMF-211 from Dec 1941 to August 1942. In Korea Lt. Colonel Luther S. Moore was MAG-12 commanding officer. There is a lot more to be found about the pilot.
076_zpsdefd4ac7.jpg
075_zps7497b553.jpg
074_zpsb7e8f3a9.jpg
071_zps30d4f7f1.jpg
072_zps8b6bc645.jpg