Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

Hi TOM.

It looks like orignal attachment, I would not say from the pics that one buckle was re-attached, soo good work :)

Cant wait to see the log book!

Here is my new addition which I was looking for for a long long time: A-14 mask with USN stamped microphone(ANB-M-C1) and NAF stamp at one of the band around the cable and with rare "the over head strap"... Strap is made from green twill, the same like standard short straps soo I believe that is not rigger made work but official factory made... This type of "the over head strap" was used more in Patrol/Bomber heavy planes where crews used more billed caps and headsets than flying helmets...

The best regards,

Jerry

Jerry, that is an awesome setup and I had never seen one like this. You scored on that one!!!

post-14544-1317415738.jpg

My latest Navy helmet. AN6542 helmet with ANB-H-1A receivers and Seesall Goggles.

Great helmet thanks for posting. It is refreshing to see thta I am not the only one posting on this thread :)

flight helmets 522
Great helmet thanks for posting. It is refreshing to see thta I am not the only one posting on this thread :)

Thanks, I wish I had more to post. I have as many Army Air Force helmets, but this is a Navy thread...

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Thanks, I wish I had more to post. I have as many Army Air Force helmets, but this is a Navy thread...

Phil.

Is this thread easy for everyone to see? I have to go and find it, because I've known about it. But does someone going to main forum page see it easily?

Phil.

Is this thread easy for everyone to see? I have to go and find it, because I've known about it. But does someone going to main forum page see it easily?

Phil.

Phil, it is not pinned so if no one posts on it it disappears off of the main page. Sometimes I struggle to find it also and I know exactly what I am looking for :)

flight helmets 522
Phil, it is not pinned so if no one posts on it it disappears off of the main page. Sometimes I struggle to find it also and I know exactly what I am looking for :)

Too bad there's not a specific forum for flight helmets.

Phil.

I just bought this flight helmet. It is a mid 1943 contract but the receivers and loom are not common. The receivers are ANB-H-1A and the loom is a Telephonics loom that is similar to the loom for the TH37 receivers but the cord is longer and it has a normal plug at the end. Anyone has any information on this type of setup. I had only seen one other loom like this on a picture once but I had never seen one for real. Any info would be appreciated.

post-119-0-75157100-1399501105.jpg

post-119-0-44503900-1399501116.jpg

post-119-0-99566500-1399501127.jpg

post-119-0-81435700-1399501136.jpg

post-119-0-02919100-1399501159.jpg

post-119-0-34956700-1399501242.jpg

post-119-0-98710300-1399501289.jpg

flight helmets 522

I just bought this flight helmet. It is a mid 1943 contract but the receivers and loom are not common. The receivers are ANB-H-1A and the loom is a Telephonics loom that is similar to the loom for the TH37 receivers but the cord is longer and it has a normal plug at the end. Anyone has any information on this type of setup. I had only seen one other loom like this on a picture once but I had never seen one for real. Any info would be appreciated.

Great setup. Thanks for sharing.
Phil.

This is the latest addition to the family. Salty M-450 flight helmet with rigger added oxygen snaps. It is only the second M-450 I have fitted with oxy snaps. They are getting quite rare and are really hard to find now. I am trying to find out more about the original owner.

post-119-0-73205600-1399501430.jpg

post-119-0-25097800-1399501435.jpg

post-119-0-93630700-1399501440.jpg

post-119-0-99361900-1399501446.jpg

post-119-0-36532800-1399501452.jpg

Im jelous TOM !!!!!! Did you think about our trade ???

Great helmet :)

As you should be!! :) Seriously though it is one of those helmets that look way better than on the pictures, they really do not do it justice. THe snaps are sewn onto some really heavy canvas material that looks like it was originally painted blue or green. Any idea where that would come from?

Material is typical for rigger made items: heavy blue canvas or grey. Blue is possible from cockpit aircraft cover and grey is from M592 survival kit or parachute pack:)

Wow!...what an amazing collection! :w00t: ...but, How can you put the headseat in the helmets? I have a couple of helmets A-NH-16 but the ear pieces are too hard and I can´t put inside the headphones... :crying:

Wow!...what an amazing collection! :w00t: ...but, How can you put the headseat in the helmets? I have a couple of helmets A-NH-16 but the ear pieces are too hard and I can´t put inside the headphones... :crying:

Thanks!! The trick with the acoustic rubber earcups is to buy the helmet with the headset already installed!!! :)

Actually it is not all that hard, you just have to be careful not to break the rubber as sometimes it gets brittle with age. I usually use a dull knife the same way as you would a shoehorn. It is not easy but I have succeeded every time. You first have to wedge in one side of the earpiece and then with the knife you work your way around the rest. Makes sense?

Thanks!! The trick with the acoustic rubber earcups is to buy the helmet with the headset already installed!!!

Hahahaha!...I am sure that is the best choice!

Actually it is not all that hard, you just have to be careful not to break the rubber as sometimes it gets brittle with age. I usually use a dull knife the same way as you would a shoehorn. It is not easy but I have succeeded every time. You first have to wedge in one side of the earpiece and then with the knife you work your way around the rest. Makes sense?

Yes, it makes sense :thumbsup: ...well, I will try to do that and I hope not to break nothing! Thanks a lot my friend, and thanks for share your beauty collection with us!

• 2 weeks later...
flight helmets 522

This is the latest addition to the family. Salty M-450 flight helmet with rigger added oxygen snaps. It is only the second M-450 I have fitted with oxy snaps. They are getting quite rare and are really hard to find now. I am trying to find out more about the original owner.

Great, interesting setup...
Phil.

Here is my latest helmet. It is a M-450 with rare acoustic earcups. In 3 years of collecting Naval aviation helmets I only saw 2 of them and I bought them both. The earcups were handstitched. The goggles also came with it and were really really dirty / rusty. They cleaned up amazingly well. The earcup has a name on it but I will have to spend more time trying to find out what it is as it faded quite a bit. THe earcups are painted red and there are 3 letters and numbers stenciled on the front of the helmet in yellow. I forgot to take a picture of that but I will tonight and post it thereafter.Usually on flight helmets what would those numbers represent?

post-119-0-44635700-1399501685.jpg

post-119-0-53175800-1399501693.jpg

post-119-0-52907500-1399501704.jpg

post-119-0-87466100-1399501711.jpg

post-119-0-72522900-1399501720.jpg

post-119-0-53463500-1399501729.jpg

Hi everyone.

I'd like to share with you a great website about US NAVY AVIATION equipment and clothing from World War Two. The author of the site is a good friend of mine pararaftanr2. I think it would be the best source of any information about this subject. For sure all of this information there, will be covered in book(in future) but for now we have a website: http://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/

Enjoy and any comments will be appreciated.

The best regards,

Jerry

p.s. great looking helmet TOM:)