Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

Hi Phill! Thanks for words.

Here is another one photo of USMC aviator with billed cap under the helmet!..

I notcied your new M450 with acoustic ear cups. Nice variation, Where you find it ?

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1301481577.jpg

flight helmets 522
Hi Jerry,

Glad you enjoyed them. Sorry for the confusion with the lip mic. It is not permanently attached. There is a third snap, above the oxygen mask hook on the wearer's right side. The other end would attach to the top oxygen mask snap on the wearer's left side.

post-9787-1277725099.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Really like the MKIV goggles! I had a chance to get a setup like this several years ago. The price was good, but I didn't know enough about the nylon helmet and MKIV goggles and needed to research to know if they were WWII. Of course, in the time it took me to research, I missed out on the deal and someone else got a great deal. Still kicking myself.

flight helmets 522
Hi Phill! Thanks for words.

Here is another one photo of USMC aviator with billed cap under the helmet!..

I notcied your new M450 with acoustic ear cups. Nice variation, Where you find it ?

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks..It's a setup I've been trying to get from a local guy I see at gun shows. I've really been wanting it. We finally came together on a trade. He has had it for several years and got it from the family of a TBF pilot... Too bad, he didn't have a name or any other info.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Thanks..It's a setup I've been trying to get from a local guy I see at gun shows. I've really been wanting it. We finally came together on a trade. He has had it for several years and got it from the family of a TBF pilot... Too bad, he didn't have a name or any other info.

Phil.

By the way, do you have an idea where I can get a hose attachment for my A-9 Mask? I found it for a good price, but without a hose. I had an extra hose from another mask, so I put that on it. It looks OK, but I'd like to put the metal end on it...

Thanks, Phil.

Thanks for info Phil. What a pity that you dont have more info about owner:(

I got one white deck helmet with acoustic ear cups you can see it at Us Navy Pilot thread at the display section. This one is my favorite :)

I dont have any idea about A-9 Mask hose. For sure it would be in grey color not green like in A-14 mask. I think the best idea would be buy another one

A-9 Mask with hose.

regards,

Jerry

flight helmets 522
This is a converted deck type helmet fitted with flat sided metal ANB-H-1A earphones. It is named, but due to fading, is very hard to make out. The last name appears to be REED, first name possibly KENT. Displayed with it are the Polaroid number 1065 aviation goggle from the 1067 kit. This kit included the flip-up attachment, which clips on, and it's replaceable red polarizing lens. Vintage photos indicate that this goggle variation saw wide spread use with Navy and Marine aviators during the 1944-1945 period.

post-9787-1277770175.jpg

Love the rare rigger modified helmets... Very cool.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
One more for today. An un-named M-450-1 by B-G Inc. I like the stitched chin cups. Displayed with my favorite pair of AN-6530s. They are early Charles Fischer Spring with the riveted upper vents (as found on the Mk-II goggle), tan pad and are fitted with sky lookout lenses. Note the early blued hardware on the goggle strap.

post-9787-1277733012.jpg

I keep coming back to this. What a killer setup! Love the rigger mods and TC-66 earcups.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Thanks for info Phil. What a pity that you dont have more info about owner:(

I got one white deck helmet with acoustic ear cups you can see it at Us Navy Pilot thread at the display section. This one is my favorite :)

I dont have any idea about A-9 Mask hose. For sure it would be in grey color not green like in A-14 mask. I think the best idea would be buy another one

A-9 Mask with hose.

regards,

Jerry

I don't know why, but I can't find my way to see your rigged deck helmet. I see a lot of your cool stuff, but not that one.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
AN6540W (winter version, helmet is made out of shearling. Mint MKII goggles.

Picture086.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Very cool setup... I like the chin strap replaced with a chin cup. I've seen some vintage photos of pilots with the replacement chin cup on their AN-6540 series helmets... Thanks for posting.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
I have a few more helmets to display:

M-450 helmet

Picture092-1.jpg

Picture090-1.jpg

Love it... Brown earcups on the M-450/ 1092S and tube vents on the AN-6530's...

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Nice!

Great! Original "claw" hardware on the MK-II goggles straps... My MK-II's have the type of hardware found on the AN-6530 strap.... I don't know if it is replacement or a variation...

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Second helmet for today with the pair of Seesall goggles it came with:

Picture101-1.jpg

Picture100-1.jpg

Picture102-1.jpg

Great looking setup!

Phil.

flight helmets 522
I wanted to post some of my WWII Navy flight helmets. Here they are. They are all named and some of them are researched. One belonged to one of the USS Missouri catapult pilots. Another one belonged to a Black Cat pilot who was in one of the PBYs that spotted the Japanese Navy at Midway. Another one belonged to a F6F pilot. I never buy my helmets mint. I always buy helmets that have history attached to them and that actually saw combat.

I would love to see some of yours.

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

Wow!!! What a great treat to see all these amazing helmets and goggles sets... Thanks for taking the time to post

Phil.

Hi Phil.

Photo is still there :)

White deck helmet with black acoustic ear cups with ANB-H1A flat sided earphones and MKII goggle with metal case.

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1301599496.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hello all,

It's nice to see the continued interest in this great thread by Bazelot. Here is a recent acquisition. It's an Air Associates commercial copy of the Navy M-450 pattern helmet with personalized American Optical goggles and is named to a B. G. Pfetsch. As found, the goggle lenses were blue, but both were cracked through, so I substituted the green lenses for display. If anybody has a spare set of MK-II / AN-6530 blue lenses, please drop me a PM. Thanks! Best regards, Paul

post-9787-1301619171.jpg

flight helmets 522
Hi Phil.

Photo is still there :)

White deck helmet with black acoustic ear cups with ANB-H1A flat sided earphones and MKII goggle with metal case.

Regards,

Jerry

That is nice and very rare! Thanks for sharing, I can see why it's your favorite...

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Hello all,

It's nice to see the continued interest in this great thread by Bazelot. Here is a recent acquisition. It's an Air Associates commercial copy of the Navy M-450 pattern helmet with personalized American Optical goggles and is named to a B. G. Pfetsch. As found, the goggle lenses were blue, but both were cracked through, so I substituted the green lenses for display. If anybody has a spare set of MK-II / AN-6530 blue lenses, please drop me a PM. Thanks! Best regards, Paul

post-9787-1301619171.jpg

How awesome is that?! TC-66 ear cups and red painted goggle face cushions.... Thanks for sharing.

Phil.

Lastest setup:

This is the latest addition to my helmet collection. When these goggles showed up on Ebay I had to get them. THey are the Navy MK IV and are probably some of the rarest goggles produced in WWII. I had seen pictures of them probably once or twice before and they never came up for sale on Ebay. I bought them along with the NAF 1092 W pictured with it and the Navy A-14 oxygen mask pictured with a 192S helmet equipped with oxygen mask snaps.

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6947.jpg

IMG_6945.jpg

Wow!!! What a great treat to see all these amazing helmets and goggles sets... Thanks for taking the time to post

Phil.

Phil, thanks for the great comments. The collection is becoming quite extensive now