Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

Hi Jerry and All,

Since you noted a lack of posters in this topic recently, I thought I'd share a project from last year. This small grouping of two flight helmets and a set of goggles was attributed to a Navy flier's estate. As you can see by the seller's photos, the condition was less than perfect:

post-9787-1297025619.jpg

post-9787-1297025643.jpg

post-9787-1297025660.jpg

I thought they were salvageable and the price turned out to be reasonable. After a gentle cleaning and some leather dressing for the ear cups, I installed earphones in both helmets. The goggles were a bit more challenging, but with a brass brush, the corrosion came off the frames and ferules. Pad and strap were also replaced. I felt the end result was worth the effort. They are still salty, but more representative of how they would appear in service.

Thanks Jerry. Here is another one in the NAF-1092S / M-450 series. It is manufactured by Mario G. Mirabelli. These are easily recognizable in vintage photos due to the fact that this was the only manufacturer of these helmets that had external seam reinforcements. The other three manufacturers kept them inside the helmet.

post-9787-1297182276.jpg

Extremely well put!!!!!!!....and great helmets!...I am admiring all the leather chincups!!.....mike

Amen, the experienced gear is just more fun.

Another great helmet Paul. You are at different level than rest of the planet for sure :) Do You have also another one example of Mirabeli manufacture with oyester ear cups ???

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

That's not true, but thanks anyway! Sorry, but it's the only example of a Mirabelli I've been able to get my hands on. I wouldn't mind having another with the tan cups though. I wonder where this guys' Mirabelli ended up?

post-9787-1297450140.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Paul, thanks for sharing those helmets with us. You actually did a very good job cleaning them up. What kind of brush do you use to clean them?

I will post more helmets soon as I've been busy lately :)

Hi bazelot,

You are most welcome. The brush I referred to looks like a plastic handled toothbrush, but has brass bristles. They come with fiber or steel bristles also and I use all three for different applications. I've found them at gun shows in the past. I've also seen them in a three pack at the big box home stores more recently. A word of caution though. Although the clean up of the Charles Fischer Spring goggles went well and did no damage, I've found that the plating on the American Optical manufactured AN-6530 goggles is very fragile (it has a tendency to flake off) and won't stand up well to the same treatment.

I look forward to seeing more of your helmets!

Best regards, Paul

Hi bazelot,

You are most welcome. The brush I referred to looks like a plastic handled toothbrush, but has brass bristles. They come with fiber or steel bristles also and I use all three for different applications. I've found them at gun shows in the past. I've also seen them in a three pack at the big box home stores more recently. A word of caution though. Although the clean up of the Charles Fischer Spring goggles went well and did no damage, I've found that the plating on the American Optical manufactured AN-6530 goggles is very fragile (it has a tendency to flake off) and won't stand up well to the same treatment.

I look forward to seeing more of your helmets!

Best regards, Paul

THanks for the info Paul. I will buy one of those small brushes and try them on a pair of goggles I have in mind. I own around 20 pairs of AN6530 and MKII that are in excellent shape but I also have 2-3 pairs that need to be cleaned up I also did realize that some withstood the test of time better than others.

You really have agreat collection. I would love to see it in person!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I do not collect ww2 USN pilots gears but love them. I read this post with big pleasure! Please do not stop it! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Franck

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see the helmets about we were talking in the past !!!! Even some basic Navy flight helmets are hard and hard to find today !

Thanks for pics Tom!

Regards,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
flight helmets 522
Hi Bazelot.

Here are two of my old helmets ( nothing special but looks good )

First:

Very used AN6542( late model with sewn chin strap ) with probably orginally installed TH-37 earphones with extension cord. It is not typical to see late war helmet with early war earphones(TH-37) but earcups look like receivers were there for a long time! I put under the helmet USN (very used condition with named stamp under bill "Tunner") hbt baseball cap used like a sun visor, we can see very often these type of configuration. Goggles are AN6530 with brown rubber face pad.

Unusual combination with the ball cap... Makes sense... I like that you included the period photo...

Phil.

flight helmets 522
One more for today. An un-named M-450-1 by B-G Inc. I like the stitched chin cups. Displayed with my favorite pair of AN-6530s. They are early Charles Fischer Spring with the riveted upper vents (as found on the Mk-II goggle), tan pad and are fitted with sky lookout lenses. Note the early blued hardware on the goggle strap.

post-9787-1277733012.jpg

Great looking setup...

Phil.