Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

Thanks Paul... I know this second photo but didnt noticed this lip mic before! For bad luck I dont have any new helmet right now:(((

Best regards,

Jerry K.

pararaftanr2

One more for today. An un-named M-450-1 by B-G Inc. I like the stitched chin cups. Displayed with my favorite pair of AN-6530s. They are early Charles Fischer Spring with the riveted upper vents (as found on the Mk-II goggle), tan pad and are fitted with sky lookout lenses. Note the early blued hardware on the goggle strap.

post-9787-1277733012.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hey Jerry, can we see your cool M-450 with the fabric covered ear cups? It's one of my favorites and something I'm still looking for. Thanks, Paul

Of course Paul... I wanted to do it a few second ago but my battery to camera are totaly empty... I need to charge it and put pics as soon as possible ( tomorrow early morning :)))

Regards,

JK

pararaftanr2

This is a converted deck type helmet fitted with flat sided metal ANB-H-1A earphones. It is named, but due to fading, is very hard to make out. The last name appears to be REED, first name possibly KENT. Displayed with it are the Polaroid number 1065 aviation goggle from the 1067 kit. This kit included the flip-up attachment, which clips on, and it's replaceable red polarizing lens. Vintage photos indicate that this goggle variation saw wide spread use with Navy and Marine aviators during the 1944-1945 period.

post-9787-1277770175.jpg

Hi All...

here is my M-450(1092S) helmet made by Slote and Klein with brown ear cups covered by tan cloth with TH-37 earphones and HB Rocket goggle... it is simple variation not like TC-66 earcups but we can see not many often cloth covered earcups...

Thanks Paul for this photo... I was familiar with it in the past but I hope rest of Naval Aviation crew here appreciate it !

The best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1277806069.jpg

Here is my another salty and used( for bad luck un-named) AN6540 series flying helmet made by Slote and Klein... nice variation with early boom mic: aviometer NY, type 9042 and oxygen mask snaps and displayed with ANB-H-1A Navy earphones and Navy flying M1944 goggle( from 44 with two piece head strap, example from 45 have one piece head strap)... boom mike for low altitude and switch to oxygen mask with mic for high altitude... the same way like in Paul nylon helmet with lip mic.

enjoy,

JK

post-369-1277807905.jpg

post-369-1277807957.jpg

pararaftanr2

Hey Jerry, thanks for sharing that great M-450 with the cloth covers and the information about the M-1944 straps. Always something new to learn in this hobby. Best regards, Paul

Hi Paul. No problem! My goggle from 44 have strap sewn with two part: elastic band and cloth, example from 45 have only elastic band.

I put here more pics soon :)

The best regards,

Jerry K.

Thank you for this very interesting subject, it's nice to see these beautiful flight helmets!

David

Thanks for sharing all those helmets guys. They are awesome. I still need to post the rest of my collection. Time is of the essence as they say :)

I posted this helmet somewhere else on the forum but I thought it would be nice to attach it to this thread.

This is an early Air Associate Bedford Cord M-450 flight helmet with its modified AN-6530 goggles

helmet7.jpg

helmet8.jpg

helmet6.jpg

helmet1.jpg

helmet9.jpg

Thanks Bazelot for words! Nice helmet, one of the best I saw... I like the kind of goggle and earcups:)

The best regards,

Jerry K.

Thanks Bazelot for words! Nice helmet, one of the best I saw... I like the kind of goggle and earcups:)

The best regards,

Jerry K.

Thanks Jerry. This one is very salty, literally :). The best part is that I have the pilot's dog tags, squadron patches, goggles and another flight helmet with goggles. I haven't researched the pilot yet but it should be rewarding. It's also my favorite helmet as I had never seen the Air Associate version of the M-450 before.

I know I have been promising for a long time to post my other helmets.It's been a while but I will do it. My 2nd kid was born 2 weeks ago and it's keeping me really busy :)

• 1 month later...

I finally found more time to take pictures of some of my other Navy flight helmets.

Here they are:

helmet002.jpg

helmet001.jpg

helmet003.jpg

helmet004.jpg

helmet023.jpg

helmet022.jpg

helmet021.jpg

helmet020.jpg

helmet019.jpg