Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

Since it doesn't look like this thread is going to be fixed anytime soon I will try and re-post some of the posts that got lost in the transition.

Pre WWII rigger modified deck helmet helmet with pre war brown cups. The chinstrap was rigger modified and shortened (USN is now partially visible, only the US is left). 2 straps were added on the back to accommodate the goggle strap and the back seam was reinforced. Unfortunately one of the leather earcups is torn off. I did not have a pre WWII white deck helmet so it is a great addition to the collection.

post-2988-0-40790700-1402097360.jpg

post-2988-0-77479700-1402097385.jpg

Another M-450, very well named and with original lucky charms. It looks like it belonged to agunner as the receivers is the rather rare left sided version for the communication plug. I really love all the personnal modifications added by the aviator.

post-2988-0-44265400-1402163301.jpg

This admin change not to allow links is really mind boggling and everyone is paying the price. I have never seen so many dead topics on USMF.......

This is my latest purchase and I am REALLY glad I won it. A WWII nylon naval flight helmet with oxygen snaps added is one of the rarest naval aviator flight helmets from WWII you can possibly get. I did not have one and I had been looking for a long time for one. This one is not only rare but named to someone who has seen a lot of action in WWII and Korea.

Lt. Colonel Luther S. Moore (USMC) had a big role in assisting the USAAF in planning the interception of Admiral Yamamoto as part of Operation Vengeance on April 18, 1943. He assisted in training and outfitting the P-38's with better navigational equipment.

Lt. Moore was a USMC pilot who flew Brewster F2A3 and F4F4 Wilcats as the C/O of VMF-211 from Dec 1941 to August 1942. In Korea Lt. Colonel Luther S. Moore was MAG-12 commanding officer. There is a lot more to be found about the pilot.

post-2988-0-64098300-1402163814.jpg

post-2988-0-54452000-1402163816.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Very nice personalized helmet and goggles! I just love these kind.

I used to host all my photos on AOL back in the day and used links for all my posts on the forums I belonged to. Guess what happened when AOL discontinued their photo hosting,,,, POOF, all the photos in every thread I had ever done were gone.... 3 years worth of posts.

There is a reason that photos are now hosted on an internal server instead of allowing links. What happens someday if photobucket decides to go out of business? POOF, your photos are all gone.

Kurt

Latest setup, required some TLC but I am quite pleased with the result especially after it got damaged in the mail. I am still working on finding out who the original owner was.

M-450 with TC66 earcups and oxy snaps for A-10 oxygen mask (not the most common A-14 configuration). When I got it the left earcup was completely off and I had to reshape it and put it back on the helmet. I was really lucky the TC66 are still flexible. To me the result is almost perfect and I did not expect it to turn out the way it did. Well used but displays perfectly well.

post-2988-0-48850500-1402187268.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Thanks kurt. What happens if USMF shuts down :)

Then it wont matter either way. While it is running this will guarantee the photos wont disappear.

Kurt

Navy headset with Volcano earcups, I had never seen a headset with volcano earcups before. Named to a USMCR pilot:

post-2988-0-99357100-1402192843.jpg

post-2988-0-91095800-1402192845.jpg

1092 leather helmet with Air Corps sponge earcups. Thanks to Jerry for selling this setup to me:

post-2988-0-71945500-1402192974.jpg