WWII 101st Airborne Jacket

mrhell

A buddy of mine dug this out of long-term storage. He purchased this jacket (no cap was included :ermm: ), back in the early '80s and both of us would be interested to hear your comments and opinions in regards to originality. The condition is excellent but unfortunately we were unable to find any name or serial number. The only marking is the size and what appears to be a laundry tag. Thank you in advance for your help.

101a.jpg

101b.jpg

101c.jpg

101d.jpg

101e.jpg

craig_pickrall

I'm sure the uniform guys will pick this apart for you. Here are two quick red flags. The 101st patch is a merrowed edge. This patch did not exist before 1969. The MUC worn above the right breast pocket was actually a cuff patch until well after WW2 when it was replaced by the ribbon. The collar brass looks modern too but need more details to be sure on that. The jump wing is post war as well.

Not liking the 101 patch as it looks post war by the picture.Tab is the one normally seen on a 17th,Airborne Trainig Cmmd,9thAF Troop Carrier etc as its a stubby tab.Jump wings with 4 stars a little off for the 101st(then only two campains??)Also the wings look more modern/post war to me.Likely later clutch backs.Would like to see the backs.The red unit citation over the right pocket is out of place too for the period in my opinion.

RON

Aside from the previous comments that are spot on, the number of 101st guys that had 4 combat jumps can be counted on one hand. Personally I would not want this jacket in my collection as an original example.

another red flag could be the jacket issued after the ww2 ... usually the class A were swapped or changed for the Ikes so.... a ''veteran'' of ww2 that still using his class A during the KW looks really strange!

But that say all and nothing at the same time.... probably someone used the ww2 class A during the KW ....

Giancarlo

To sum up and add a few things:

101 patch is VERY post war. Later add on for sure.

CIB is beat to hell but the rest of the uniform isn't? Makes you wonder a bit.

All those jumps and a post war wing for sure.

The current issue army MUC. That would be fine if the vet added it but at this point...meh.

No combat patch. Any traces?

4 combat jumps yet only 2 battle stars on the EAME ribbon. No arrowhead, either.

Collar brass looks modern to me as well. Not sure but I'd say 60's at first glance.

My impression is that the 'airborne' tab *may* belong on the uniform, but someone then took the idea and ran with it, making this one into something that it is not.

Sorry.

Thank you to all six of the Gentleman that replied. I appreciate the information and even though it's bad news, at least now my friend knows what he has. He was about 13 or 14 when he purchased this jacket via a Shotgun News ad.

As always this forum is a great resource.... I appreciate the help. :thumbsup: