NickD

Project M-1 fixed bail

hiya guys

this is a project M-1 ive been doing for a little while know & i think its finally completed :thumbsup:

i started with the shell bought for around £50 the chin strap i had for a while sitting around from another lid i bought from a flea market but the helmet was no good so i removed the chin strap for later use, the liner again came with another helmet which was about £30 but it was again a clone helmet so i kept the liner which is a WESTINGHOUSE make so i put these toghter with the shell to make a complete helmet & finished it off with a WW2 era net for £12.99 & 1943 goggles £4.99.

hope ive dont it justice, as for the name & number in the liner not sure about them not really taken the time to see if they're real :think:

PIC_0380.jpgPIC_0381.jpgPIC_0382.jpgPIC_0383.jpgPIC_0384.jpgPIC_0385.jpgPIC_0386.jpg

Regards Nick

what do ya reckon found in a barn in normandy :naughty: :whistling:

Regards Nick

VERY nice restoration. I would not have the patience to do that. :thumbsup:

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

cheers mate

its taken about 9 months the finaly all the pieces to put it together :thumbsup:

Regards Nick

cheers mate

the flag is on the wall now mate its an old pic :thumbsup:

Regards Nick

Awesome! I like those kind of projects like your helmet, but it is a bit of a letdown when you DO finally get it all together (i.e. once the grail has been acheived.)

cheers,

capa

that is true but i do have a very nice liner awaiting to be reunited with a shell so ya never know :thumbsup:

Regards Nick

In the words of the great Sacha Baren Cohen, "IZZZZ NIICCEE!!" :thumbsup: Great job restoring this pot!

cheers mate

its def one of my favs :D :thumbsup:

Regards Nick

Very good resto!! May I ask how you reattatched the chin straps? Did you use a sewing machine or have it done professionally?

I am looking for the following items to complete my Viet Nam helmet shells

- two helmet liners

(paratrooper or regular and would like WW2 to 1972)

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

- 2 helmet bands or other interesting helmet accesories

Interested in collecting any 1901st Engineering Avaiation Battalion Items

Or items named to John H. Gallagher Jr.

thanks guys for the kind words :thumbsup:

Very good resto!! May I ask how you reattatched the chin straps? Did you use a sewing machine or have it done professionally?

well its hand sewn by me thats why there really isnt a close up of that bit as i dont have a sewing machine nor know anyone that can do it for me.

Regards Nick

well its hand sewn by me thats why there really isnt a close up of that bit as i dont have a sewing machine nor know anyone that can do it for me.

Very nice job. I've got a number of shells, a few fixed bales, without straps. You can use a sewing machine to 'bar tack', I think that's the term, the straps back on. I've got a 'how to' document on it. Finding period straps at a decent price is another matter.

I can honestly say I'm inspired to restore mine now. No sense in them just sitting in a box in storage much longer.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

ASMIC Member 4598

Very nice job. I've got a number of shells, a few fixed bales, without straps. You can use a sewing machine to 'bar tack', I think that's the term, the straps back on. I've got a 'how to' document on it. Finding period straps at a decent price is another matter.

I can honestly say I'm inspired to restore mine now. No sense in them just sitting in a box in storage much longer.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

ASMIC Member 4598

Please do!!! I have a shell that needs some chin strap help!

I am looking for the following items to complete my Viet Nam helmet shells

- two helmet liners

(paratrooper or regular and would like WW2 to 1972)

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

- 2 helmet bands or other interesting helmet accesories

Interested in collecting any 1901st Engineering Avaiation Battalion Items

Or items named to John H. Gallagher Jr.

Nicely done Nick, now all you need is a dirty big spankin spade slopped on the side and an ebay ad saying how it was found in bastogne :P

All kidding aside, real great job, you did good :thumbsup:

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

Dedicated to the hard core.

cheers mate :thumbsup:

but the thing is if i was to sell it on i would have to take it apart to do so just in case it does go to someone who would do exactly that which would be a shame !!!!

Regards Nick