What are these Shoes? 1945 dated

ChrisG43

What are these shoes guys? Dated March 1945, couldn't photograph the faint markings that well, what were they used for as well? Thanks, Chris...

post-2108-1262150691.jpg

Are they pretty rare/valuable? I picked up three pairs of them for a real good price not really knowing if there was any value to them or not, were these also used into Vietnam? I understand that a similar type shoe (or same) was used by LRRP's, etc? Or is that incorrect? Thanks, Chris...

I think the USN Frogmen / UDT would have also used these to protect their feet from walking on coral after removing their swim fins so they could still walk on rough or rocky terrain near the beach

Those shoes or "Sneakers" were used by Marine Raiders in the Pacific during WW2. They are discussed and pictured in the book that I listed below.

Leigh....

USMC (Marines) Uniforms, Insignia & Personal Items of World War II (Dungarees & Frog Skins) by: Harlan Glenn

ISBN: 0764322648

Book Title: United States Marine Corps Uniforms, Insignia and Personal Items of World War II

Author: Harlan Glenn

Binding: Hard Cover

Copyright: 2005

Pages: 272

Size: 9 x 12 in.

I have a mint pair of the so called jungle shoes and a mint pair of these identical shoes and I want to make a comment here. The cloth uppers of these "gym shoes" as shown are much more flimsy than the jungle shoes and would never have held up in a combat situation. In fact I don't imagine they would have held up long even as gym shoes. I just wanted to be a sanity check here for this subject.

Bob

• 4 years later...

I have quite a few pairs of these with at least 3 different variations, bought from a reputable Vietnam militaria dealer and touted as 'Swim Shoes' having come from the estate of a 1950s - 60s UDT/SEAL veteran. Apparently they are referenced out in 'Grunt Gear' (I don't have a copy) as having been sometimes used in jungle combat?