The combat load of the American soldier, 100 years ago.

Keystone

This was the “combat load” of the American soldier in 1909. The 9 pocket M1909 cartridge belt held 2 five round clips for the M1903 Springfield rifle in each pocket. The M1907 suspenders transferred the weight of the load to the shoulders. Hanging from the belt are the M1905 bayonet and scabbard, the M1908 haversack, the M1907 first aid packet and pouch, the M1909 canteen and the 1905 pattern entrenching tool and carrier. The haversack contained up to four days rations as well as the meat can, the M1908 cup, the toiletry articles (toothbrush, towel, razor, comb etc) the knife, fork and spoon and three small bags for coffee, sugar and salt.

The suspenders and belt were made by the Mills Company and have the “MILLS” stamp inside the bullet logo. They are undated except for the metal hardware which contain the patent dates. All the other items were manufactured by Rock Island Arsenal except for the first aid packet which was made by Bauer and Black of Chicago. The bayonet scabbard is dated 1907. The first aid packet and cup are dated 1908. The bayonet, first aid pouch, canteen and entrenching tool carrier are dated 1910. The haversack is dated 1911.

The positioning of the bayonet over the haversack is from period photographs. Most photos of the period show either the entrenching tool or the canteen to the far right. The shovel handle is usually facing outward. This, coupled with the placement of the bayonet over the full haversack tended to make for an awkward appearance.

The “existence” load, containing the shelter half, pins, a pole, a blanket and any other non-essential gear would be rolled into a horse shoe shape and placed over the left shoulder. The entire roll could be removed quickly for action.

The original M1903 equipment had a neater appearance but the addition of the bayonet and shovel in 1905 led to the realization that this set of gear was in need of improvement.

The soldier would not have to suffer much longer as a board of officers was at this time already deciding on a completely new set of gear. The M1910 equipment would see the American soldier and Marines up to the beginning of World War 2 with some pieces in use much later.

post-192-1262147760.jpg

El Bibliotecario

Very informative photos.

For someone interested in the story behind the field gear, I'd recommend BG S.L.A. Marshall's essay THE SOLDIER'S LOAD (I'm thinking the subtitle is, 'and the mobliity of the nation' but I'm away from my desk and can't check) Marshall's conclusion won't surprise any old soldier, but he points out that as technology made stuff lighter, the folks in charge saw that not as a way to lighten PVT Joe Tentpeg's load, but to enable him to carry more stuff; e.g, if a rifleman could carry X rounds of 7,62mm, then why couldn't he carry 2X rounds of 5,56mm?

Thanks. I have read Marshall's book which, If I remember correctly, was written just after the Korean war. It's a shame some lessons need to be learned over and over again!

Tim

US Victory Museum

An outstanding display of excellent condition items. Any collector would be proud to have accouterments like yours.

These photos were posted in the past by other forum members under various topics; yet, for those members more

recently joined who have not seen them, these photos complement your posting.

(The suspenders in the photos are the 1903 pattern, but all other equipment is the same.)

post-1529-1262233042.jpg

Very nice set! If I remember correctly though there are several discussions on the forum if the M1905 shovel ever really existed or if it was just something made by a surplus dealer using surplus blades.

Greetz ;)

David

• 10 months later...
Did each soldier really carry the shovels with this rig? Or was it unit specific? Does anyone have example pictures of this?

The "Annual Reports" from this time period (most are available on Google books) say that the entrenching tools (shovel, pick mattock, hatchet and wire cutters) were adopted in 1905 but that Rock Island Arsenal had a difficult time producing suitable carriers. The carriers were finally produced in the 1907 time frame. If I remember correctly the issue for entrenching tools was 3 shovels and 1 pick mattock to a squad of 8 men, to be carried on alternate days on the march. The hatchet and wire cutters issued to a Corporal of the platoon. I believe this accounts for the fact that the shovel carrier is more common than the pick and hatchet carriers. There are pictures out there of soldiers carrying the tools in the manner that I photographed my setup. The shovel was carried with the handle jutting out! I can't imagine this would have been very comfortable for either the soldier doing the carrying or the soldier marching beside him.

Tim

Marchville1918

I like collecting the gear from this time period too. When you think about it ,this equipment must have been terrible to actually use. The belt and suspenders look good enough, but between the shovel sticking out on one side and the bayonet sticking out on the other and add to that the canteen flopping and twisting when you walk, it must have been a mess. If all that wasn't bad enough having that horseshoe roll over one shoulder on a long march must have been just awful. It really was not used for that many years before the 1910 equipment came in. Even with all of the complaints about it, compared to what it replaced the 1910 equipment must have been quite an improvement.

• 2 months later...

Great article!

Here is a picture of some troops wearing those at a Camp someplace, but I do not know where. I see no entrenching tools but if you look close the bayonet is over the haversack.

Terry

post-629-1297271092.jpg

post-629-1297271154.jpg

post-629-1297271226.jpg