4th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Group

tigerfan

Came across another nice WWII group today at an antique mall co-op. This group is to a veteran of the 4th cavalry reconnaissance squadron. Group consists of his ike jacket with nice theater made patch, unit book for the 4th and another for the 7th corps, 4th cav. newspapers, large poster size commendation souvenir, misc. items and a scrapbook loaded with photos and news clippings. One interesting photo shows this vet wearing a German belt and camo top & bottom. The news clippings are interesting with several talking about this vet. He was wounded twice and once captured by the Germans. He was a POW for 7 or 8 days, taken to a German hospital as he was wounded and liberated by Americans that captured the hospital. I also found in one of the pockets another 4th cav patch, bevo woven and overseas bars.

post-2609-1262142989.jpg

post-2609-1262142998.jpg

post-2609-1262143006.jpg

All I can say is: WOW!

That's a very nice grouping.

Watch out for that photo album as the paper might be acidic and damage the photos in it.

Erwin

Tiger,

Great group.Absolutely stunningt!!!

I am curious to the black backing on the patch.I have seen this before on uniforms with black wool behind the CIB and the CMB.In fact I own a couple done this way.Both have a purple heart and one has a silver star ribbon(if I recall correctly).Seeing yours with purple heart makes me wonder if this is done to signify combat wounded.I have had my uniforms for years and they are from different divisions/units but bear the black wool and have not found any link other than the purple heart and silver star on others I have seen.

RON

Tiger,

Great group.Absolutely stunningt!!!

I am curious to the black backing on the patch.I have seen this before on uniforms with black wool behind the CIB and the CMB.In fact I own a couple done this way.Both have a purple heart and one has a silver star ribbon(if I recall correctly).Seeing yours with purple heart makes me wonder if this is done to signify combat wounded.I have had my uniforms for years and they are from different divisions/units but bear the black wool and have not found any link other than the purple heart and silver star on others I have seen.

RON

Interesting observation. I have only owned a few of these patches backed in black and this is the first I have come across still on a uniform. I don't know the answer to the backing but may have a connection?

Excellent grouping.

For those of you wondering, the DI of the 759th Tank Bn is on the right of the newspaper masthead as the 759th had been attached to the Group for most of its time in theater.

The correct ID of the group is 4th Cavalry Group (Mechanized). The 4th and 24th Cavalry Reconniassance Sqdrons were elements of the Group. Your vet may have been in the 4th Cav Recon Sq, 4th Cav Grp (M) and it's confusing.

It does get confusing following who was attached to who. This vet was 4th cav. recon., troop B, 2nd platoon under the 4th cav. group. Reading through the unit history I see the 4th cav. group was under different commands through the war. In a previous post I pictured a newspaper article telling about this vet being captured and wounded. On page 2 of his unit history he made a notation around a paragraph that also tells about this incident. He was very lucky not to be killed and even luckier to have been rescued a week later.

post-2609-1262360336.jpg

post-2609-1262360349.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
cobblejohn

Tigerfan, how are you. I am new to these boards but your post has gained my interest. First, my grandfather severd with the 4th Cavalry Group during WW 2. Upon looking at your amazing find, was Mattew Jasinski's bio. My grandfather was also from Buffalo, NY and lived about 10 blocks from Titus street. My grandfather also worked at Buffalo American (I can't rememebr exactly the companies name from the listing). Also, I had an Aunt whos last name was Jasinski (I am trying to find out if they were related somehow) Anyway I think my grandfather and Mr. Jasinski may have known each other (Unfortunately my grandfatehr passed away 14 years ago) Their is too many coincidences from what I know about my grandfather and the article.

My questions to you are:

1) Did you find all that stuff in a local antique shop in Buffalo?

2) If possible can I get scanned copies of the photos? I have been fortubate enough in my research to find a gentleman who my grandfather was his jeep driver. He had a photo of my grandfather we did not have, and I have a feeling he may be in some of those pictures. I am also trying to collect 4th Cav history and pics

Their is a website we created about our grandfather www.cobblejohn.com We are in the process of creating a brand new site, but the old one is still up

I look forward to your response

post-12106-1274675187.jpg

This is my grandfather after the war

HoovieDude

:jeal0001: WOW!! I love this grouping! 4th Cav is one of my units that I served in, and would love to find something like this one day.

Prepared and Loyal!!

Brian Dentino

Fantastic grouping! Those DI's and patches are something else. How many pictures in all came in the book? Just fantastic, and congrats on the find! Now you just need his medals..... ;)

• 1 year later...

My shoulder patch crest ( german made ) 4th Cavalry group.

Sorry for the size of the picture :(

1529736141087_papa.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello all.

Unfortunately it looks like I'm a real latecomer to this thread, but if anyone still gets an email notification from this thread, I'd like to talk to anyone with 4th Cav info. I have a 93 year old friend who served with the 4th from 1942 until the war's end. He landed on Utah Beach D Day +6 and drove LTC Edward C Dunn's armored car until Nov 1944, when he began driving the new Commanding Officer, Colonel John MacDonald. He also has that poster sized commendatiom, but was somehow able to keep it rolled up and protected until he got home. It's in great shape and I just scanned and printed myself a copy to hang on the wall.

So, Cobblejohn and Tigerfan, you still out there? Longshot, I know.