Tan 4 Pocket BDU

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

I bought it at a surplus literallly years ago when I was little. I bought it because it had four pockets and was tan. In my young 10 year old mind, tan+four pockets=Airborne Jacket. It was also the same time I passed up buying an original Kriegsmarine tunic for ~$46 because once again in my naive mind Nazi=bad guys=don't buy anything because it's evil :pinch: (not that nazi's arnt bad, but in my eyes History is History and shouldn't be opinionated)

ANYWAY...

I still have it, and I'm even more curious about it. It's styled just like the BDU's only it's tan and has no markings or tags. It's made of what seems to be tan ripstop fabric just like BDUs and has off white (very bright tan) stitching. I can't get pictures until wednesday sorry. But I have a feeling it might be either Field made, Experimental, or one of those modern "Popper inc." BDU jackets. But if there's any info on the military using plain Tan BDUs (with no camo pattern), please share :)

Thanks

Ryan

tan experimental bdu's were made ater ww2 but in a heavy weight cotton.. there were stamped experimental with philli qm etc.. on them

tan ripstop BDUs are worn by Border agents,US Marshals and a few other US Gvmt organizations.

they have appropriate "lettered agency" nametape,individual nametape,shoulder patch on L sleeve,and sometimes a sew-on badge over l "branch" tape. I have seen these several times being worn with untis in Afghanistan.

Contractors and Blackwater security personnel have been seen wearing them, depending on what you have. The Blackwater uniforms were more of a rough texture ripstop.

a picture is worth 1k words, you certainly have my interest in seeing it ;)

Wow, this Is handy, I wonder If any of you Gentlemen are able to help me.

I have a really nice example of one of these that I bought from a surplus store In about 96/97. We have or had a LOT of US personel stationed locally and this came In amongst some used clothing from Mildenhall. I thought It was a bit different and possibly experimental so I grabbed It.

The manufacture Is excellent, just like genuine BDU and It shows lots of tiny little details that are often missing on the civilian contract stuff. Similarly the cloth It's self Is of excellent quality, I wore It for years but It shows little wear.

Anyway, I've taken a few pictures and would really like to hear some comments about this piece. Sorry the pics are so bad It Is virtually dark here It's so overcast. If they are needed I'll take better ones when the sun's out.

Many thanks to all who take the trouble to reply.

Yours, Guy.

post-1781-1262175204.jpg

Hello

Here are pics of mine, constructed like 80-90s BDU with waist tabs on the back.

Mine had a left patch (likely 1st Cav shape, a little smaller, but it could be some police or Marshall patch), a round pocket patch on the left chest pocket, had a nametape also, but no US ARMY tab, and finally US flag.

13z6aac.jpg

5vp11v.jpg

Maybe a contractor shirt, could someone explain about the tag, I think it s civilian contract

Oh by the way, mine doesn't have any labels and never has had. Also, although the camera has exacerbated it, It does have the pinky hue seen In the pics.

Yours, Guy.

Ya, they had the flag and some civilian made patch that had security stuff written on it. I can't remember if they had name tapes or name plates though. I will try going through my Kosovo pics and see if I took any pictures of them. I do remember that they wore black holsters, pistol belts, and I think a black patrol cap.

I have a set of these, bought in Columbus GA at Ranger Joes about 20 years ago. They were very common.

They also had black, blue, and OD. I bought the black ones to wear at the Police Department.

I wore the khakis shooting High Power Competition. I still have the khaki shirt, the boonie hat, and the ranger patrol cap, wore the pants out, now they are ragged shorts I can't fit into....

You probably have a civilian made BDUalike. Go through Brigade Quartermaster magazine and you will likely see it in there.

When I deployed to the Gulf war with SOCCENT in Aug 1990, one of the other guys, a Navy SEAL who was an augmentee, reported in wearing a set of tan BDUs/DCUs like the ones you describe. I believe he wore them until we were issued the chocolate chip DCUs. He said he got them from Brigade Quartermaster or the Cavalry Store. I don't remember which anymore but the point is that they were bought commercially by him before he reported in.

For me, it's for civilian and firefighter working in military base. I had pictures of firefighter wearing that sort of uniform but I can find them again on my hard disk. And here's another with a US civilian wearing another updated model (look like the ACU) ;

army.mil-2008-07-03-123141.jpg

This one is called the "AMC civilian uniform"

"The AMC civilian uniform prototype includes a solid tan-colored version of the Army Combat Uniform with places for the standard last nameplate and civilian-specific insignia. AMC civilians are expected to start wearing the uniform early next year".

Find on : http://www.army.mil/-images/2008/07/03/18487/

Ok, I think I've find... :thumbsup:

6-1.jpg

sorry for the bad quality of picture, I find it on internet !

The legend of the picture tell : "Robert Anzuoni (center) with JROTC cadets from Camden, SC. Photos courtesy of the museum."

So, it can be JRTOC cadets, too. they have the flag and patches !

Found on : http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/M..._06/Feb_Mar.htm