USMC Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

35th USAAD

I think I've seen that all shoulder patches were ordered to be removed sometime prior to Korea. If you watch archive footage of President Roosevelt's funeral procession, one of the Marines has a 1st MAC (possibly Raider?) patch on his left shoulder. I'm sure someone much smarter than I can chime in on this one, but I think pre-Korea....

Semper!

Ski

vintageproductions

I believe the cut-off date was 1947 or 1948. I am sure there must be a posting here on the froum with the exact dates.

That's right. According to Smith & Pelz the wearing of SSI was banned by the USMC on September, 23rd 1947 (LOI No 1499, effective January, 1st 1948).

Lars

The Marine Corps started using SSI after Guadalcanal when they were refitting in Australia and had to wear uniforms that were not their own. They didn't want to be confused with Australian or regular US troops.

1st Marine Division insignia

After the war the SSI were seen as divisive within the smaller post-war Corps as everyone in the Marine Corps was seen to be an elite brotherhood. I think that this may have been partly behind the earlier disbanding of the Raider and Para units as well.