Colt M7 bayonet

Richard W.

I purchased this last week from Apex gun parts. My understanding is that it was part of a shipment of old M16A1 rifles and accessories that Century Arms recently received from an undisclosed country. They have demilled the rifles and are sold the parts to other vendors.

orig.jpg

There are no marks on it except the Colt stamp and the model number.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The bayo looks good, but the scabbard has me confused. The only mark on it is the model number near the throat, stamped very lightly. Every other M8A1 scabbard I've seen before has the contractor's initials underneath the model number. Also, it's made from hard plastic (ABS, maybe?), with a crinkle-type surface molded into it.

Is this a genuine Colt scabbard? I have been unable to find one similar in a web search, other than the ones from the same lot being sold currently. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Richard- The bayonet looks like the ones made by Imperial. I don't believe they put their name brand on those w/ the Colt logo. Eichorn of Germany made them also, but I thought they added a made in Germany, at least to some. The scabbard looks like a German version of the M8A1, but could be wrong. Either way you have a nice set. SKIP

Richard, These are the Imperial made, Colt marked, m7s made in early to mid 60s. I had an email conversation with William Humes who is one of the foremost M7 collectors in the country. He said these are the real deal. We both have noticed variations in manufacture, but they are still good. Apex has turned the price of this item on its head. Several years ago I have seen these bayonets and scabbards go for over $400. Now it's hard to get a hundred. As for the scabbard, it was used exclusively for this colt marked bayonet. It has a "crinkle" finish and has no makers name. Hang on to it because when this current batch dries up and settles into collector's hands, the price will sky rocket. I bought three of them, and wish I could get more.

The German colt marked bayonets look similar, but say "Made in West Germany" under the Colt logo, and the scabbard looks similar, but the Eickhorn product does not have the same "crinkle" finish.. These German bayonets were made in the 70s.

Marv