Airship Wings Opinions Please - Later William Link pattern starburst back

John T

Hello Everybody:

May I please have opinions on these Airship Wings? The badge has been coated (not by me) with what appears to be laquer.

Thank You,

John

post-4892-1262110201.jpg

Hello Everybody:

May I please have opinions on these Airship Wings? The badge has been coated (not by me) with what appears to be laquer.

Thank You,

John

Congratulations,

Although your badge has no backmark, and not made of sterling silver, it is legitimate. The original die was made by William C. Link & Company; however, your badge could have been made as late as 1942 by another firm who acquired the Link dies before WWII.

I say that because I've got an identical badge also coated with lacquer that was owned by Col. Gerald G. Johnston. Colonel Johnston, along with Maj. Clarence B. Lober, turned the last USAAC airship (TC-14) over to the USN in 1937. Of special interest is that Colonel Johnston never had reason to wear the badge that I have. It was given to him by a junior office under his command in 1942 out of respect for his having been a former airship pilot. Colonel Johnston organized the 5th and 6th Observation Squadrons (heaver-than-air) at Marshall Field, Fort Riley, KS in 1942.

Cliff :thumbsup:

Hi Cliff:

Thank you for that great information on the history of your badge and the maker of the piece!

You stated that your badge was identical. Does your badge then also have the recessed area behind the airship?

Kindest Regards,

John

Hi Cliff:

Thank you for that great information on the history of your badge and the maker of the piece!

You stated that your badge was identical. Does your badge then also have the recessed area behind the airship?

Kindest Regards,

John

I have pretty much the same badge. Mine lacks the recess. I have seen other examples in other collections, some with and some without the recess. Mine also has the lacquer. Nice wing, as Cliff says.

Best

Patrick

post-1519-1262130811.jpg

Hi Cliff:

Kindest Regards,

John

Hi John,

In every respect, including the recessed area behind the airship, your badge and the one I received from Colonel Johnston are identical.

Cliff :thumbsup:

Hi Cliff and Patrick:

Thank you fellows very much for the comments.

I am very glad to have a good example of this badge.

Kindest Regards,

John

flyingfortress

John,

I have a WWI wing made by the William Link Co. of Newark, NJ, that has their unique hallmark of two interlocking chain rounds forming a link. The Link Co. was a prestigious jewelery maker and being from NJ, I've seen quite a bit of their workmanship on non-military items, but all had the Link hallmark.

I didn't realize they made items without the hallmark. Anyway, congratulations on the great looking wing.

Regards, George

John,

I have a WWI wing made by the William Link Co. of Newark, NJ, that has their unique hallmark of two interlocking chain rounds forming a link. The Link Co. was a prestigious jewelery maker and being from NJ, I've seen quite a bit of their workmanship on non-military items, but all had the Link hallmark.

I didn't realize they made items without the hallmark. Anyway, congratulations on the great looking wing.

Regards, George

Hi George,

I've seen several original William Link Company wing badges that were made in the 1920's but none of them had a hallmark. The company went out of business in 1931 and I doubt that their wing badge dies were ever used after that. :unsure:

Cliff