Pre 1941 Left Facing USN Officer's Hat Devices

graham

CAPTMac Thank you for posting.<br />I know there are other forum members with similar pre 41 badges in there collections. Any chance of posting them here.<br /><br />Thank you.<br /><br />Graham<br /><br />

• 2 months later...

Here's another metal pre-1941 USN visor hat insignia. It's hallmarked by BB&B and has a separately applied rope. The 1928 BB&B catalog advertised the metal devices for sale in three different sizes.

post-2381-0-65518100-1377207867.jpg

post-2381-0-89716400-1377207887.jpg

post-2381-0-55585700-1377207901.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here are some photos of one I had the opportunity to handle while visiting a family for my book. I thought you all would like to see images of it...a truly beautiful piece! Best of all, there was a fantastic photo of her dad wearing it in 1940.

DEVICE1.jpg

Just rediscovered this thread. Harrier, love the BBB. Dave I have been trying to compare the one you posted with the 'repro' one in post 12 .......scary.

Thanks for posting.

Graham

Just rediscovered this thread. Harrier, love the BBB. Dave I have been trying to compare the one you posted with the 'repro' one in post 12 .......scary.

Thanks for posting.

Graham

Graham:

Or is it....."egg on my face"? They're identical...and the one I just posted literally came out of the box (I should have photographed the box it was in) in the box of all the lady's father's stuff...together with a photo of him wearing it. Perhaps the fake was based off this one? The big question would be...I can't tell you what's on the backside of the reproduction one...so what IS on the backside of the reproduction one that it would set it apart from a real one? That is the question...

• 2 months later...

Dave,

Yes, I was confused by your previous post concerning the device shown in post #12. The eagle shown was in fact right facing, not left, as the description you mentioned when discussing the fakes was with left-facing eagles.

I would like to mention that, with the dual H-H / Viking hallmarks, the item most likely was post-WW2 to Korean War era vintage and not pre-WW2.

Tim

Tim

Sorry for the confusion! I meant the eagle facing IT'S left...or the viewer's right.

As far as the hallmarks go, I have a photo of the vet wearing the above eagle from 1941... It would be strange to me that they were making non-reg hat devices in the 1950s...

Dave

Hi Dave,

Absolutely, it's the "wearer's" perspective as to the direction the eagle is facing. As the eagle is worn on the left side of the garrison cap, the eagle would be facing forward or...towards the wearer's right (appears facing left when looking at the device straight on).

So, the example shown in post #12 is fake by virtue of the eagle facing in the wrong direction, which as you correctly stated, would NOT have been an authorized variation by the late 1940's or beyond.

Thanks for clarifying!

Tim

Here is a pre-1941 bronze full size officer's cap device. What do you all think? Who would have worn this subdued badge? post-125548-0-82051000-1397273525.jpg

Here is a pre-1941 bronze full size officer's cap device.

I've seen these in collar insignia but never a cap badge. Are these rare?

...Kat

• 2 months later...

Here is a left facing two piece brass WW1 Naval Officers ha badge. This is part of a Navy Cross group I have. I have seen bullion cap badges but this is the first all metal badge I have come across.The two piece badge is soldered together and measures 1 3/4 X 2 1/4 inches.

Dick

post-9487-0-29428300-1403457913.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello

here is a link to a left facing USN officer cap badge.

The silver device is stamped H-H !

http://www.historycalled.com/index.php/!trash/military-iyt/bad/world-war-one-us-navy-officers-cap-badge/

Someone from this forum could save and post this 3 pictures ? ( not possible with my iPad )

Thanks

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael