Pre 1941 Left Facing USN Officer's Hat Devices

graham

post-4927-1262087401.jpgpost-4927-1262087323.jpg

Can any one tell me, are there pre may 1941 Officers visor cap insignias made from metal [sterling/gilt]. I can only find photo,s of bullion examples.

Graham

I have been told by fellow forum member that the small size badge for the officers overseas cap can be found with the eagles head facing the wearers left in pre 1941 fashion. Can anyone post any pics ?

Graham.

I used to have some that looked exactly like Kurt's that were made by Pasquale.

The other Kurt

Other Kurt-

Mine aren't hallmarked. Were yours?

Kurt

Other Kurt-

Mine aren't hallmarked. Were yours?

Kurt

Mine were hallmarked. They were open catch pinback.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt Well I,ll be #@~#erd I thought the small ones for the overseas cap came out late in ww2. I notice one of yours has loops for sewing ? I take it these are for wear on the overseas cap ?

I could have sworn I had seen 2 large pre 41 badges [metal] on ebay maybe a year or two ago, so they may be reproducing something that never existed in the first place. :think: I had wonderd why they were so hard to come by :lol:

Graham.

Thanks Kurt Well I,ll be #@~#erd I thought the small ones for the overseas cap came out late in ww2. I notice one of yours has loops for sewing ? I take it these are for wear on the overseas cap ?

I could have sworn I had seen 2 large pre 41 badges [metal] on ebay maybe a year or two ago, so they may be reproducing something that never existed in the first place. :think: I had wonderd why they were so hard to come by :lol:

Graham.

From my research, the reason the eagles head was turned to the right in the first place was because the Navy decided to make the officers hat badge in full size in metal as the bullion ones were hard to maintain (tarnish). during the process of casting dies to strik them, it was determined that a left facing eagle was not a good thing and the head was turned.

Steve Hesson

The books I have state the head was turned to face the wearers sword hand which is heraldicly correct. The buttons changed at this time as well.

Graham.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's one of the large visor hat sized pre-1941 devices in metal that's currently on eBay. The back's hallmarked H&H and Viking.

Unfortunately, this one is fake. About 15 years ago, quite a number of metal left-facing full sized cap eagles were produced. I remember Manions had quite a few and were selling them for (as I recall) $20 a pop. I had always wanted one and commenting on this to a major dealer, he told me about them being copies. Not intentionally out-to-screw-folks copies, but were still copies nonetheless.

I have never seen a left facing metal full sized eagle that was original. I have seen a handful of left-facing small sized metal eagles, but never full sized. I would love to add one to my collection if I could ever find one.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Well, at least it's posted for a reference then. I don't collect these, but I found it while browsing eBay today and remembered this thread.

No worries! I'm GLAD you posted it! Hopefully it will prevent someone from losing their shirt!

Realistically, if I could find one for around $50, even knowing it's a fake, I'd still like one for my hat (the one I actually wear in uniform). I seriously considered bidding on this one, actually!

Dave

Estate fresh too !!!! :think:

Riiight...from the dealer's house...er...estate!

It's like a dealer I once knew who claimed every uniform/medal/etc. he sold was "straight from the vet". Come to find out that HE had been in the service (I think in the National Guard) during the 80s and thus...drum roll...HE was the vet! He wasn't lying, but he sure wasn't telling the truth...

Dave

• 3 years later...

I have a lovely full size pre WW II cap device in metal. If anyone wants detailed photos, please let me know.

I have a lovely full size pre WW II cap device in metal. If anyone wants detailed photos, please let me know.

Yes, please!!

Absolutely!

I'd enjoy seeing it too!!

yes, post it here please.

PM sent.

Hope to see it soon.

Graham