SILVER STAR NUMBERED MEDALS

WEAVER45

Some early WWII General Orders have the medal number listed. I few researchers have put together their own lists by compiling numbers from GO's, but none have been published.

Kurt

I have always annecdotally understood that generally speaking, the early war European Theater (i.e. North Africa and Sicily) combat divisions are where you will find those numbered medals, both Silver Stars and Purple Hearts, listed by medal number somewhere.

I am unsure of what all is out there for general orders lists which list medals numbers, but I can tell you I have owned, seen, and / or heard about numbered Purple Hearts and Silver Stars having the medal numbers recorded, at least in the GI's discharge papers, from the 1st, 9th and 34th Infantry Divisions and from the 1st Armored Division too; all were North Africa and Sicily units; there may be others, those just come to mind immediately.

I do not know if those are the units which Kurt referred to as having number to medal lists out there, which some collectors have compiled, I am just noting that those are, I think, possibly the units for which the lists MAY exist, but again, only for those early war actions up through like late 1943.

MW

Kurt Stauffer & MWalsh have well covered the recording of early WW2 decoration numbers in various Army General Orders. This harvesting of medal numbers from early GOs began with the late Colonel Gleim, and halted with his untimely death in 1997. I have a copy of the Gleim team's efforts, which amounts to over 1700 Silver Star Medal numbers. Please contact me if any Forum member would like me to check a SSM number on this list.

In addition, I have copies of lists of other early WW2 decorations attributable by number alone. These include 238 Soldier's Medals, 77 DSCs, 574 Legions of Merit, & a bunch of Purple Hearts. That's the good news. The bad news is that the GO locations of these other attributable decorations were not obtained from Col. Gleim before he died. These GOs have not yet been re-located in the National Archives. For the 574 LOMs and 68 of the SMs, I can provide the recipient name, rank, service number, & unit, but I don't have the original GO reference.

• 11 months later...
:blink: Hello. To Tom Neir in this post; if it is possible to identify certain numbered medals to specific soldiers I have a couple of medals to ponder...A Silver Star made by BB&B numbered #15418 and a Legion of Merit numbered # 7106. Any info you may find would be HUGE plus for me! Thanks, Gary 1944Ike

I regret to report that neither SSM #15418 nor LOM #7106 appear in the known lists of WW2 decorations traceable by number alone. The closest reported Silver Star is #15412, issued to 2Lt. J.A. Crough, E/7 Inf, 3rd Division, for an action in France in Nov. 1944.

The closest Legion of Merit medals are 7113 & 7117, which were issued by the 5th US Army. Col. E.J. O'Neil, HQ VI Corps, received #7113, while Sgt. D.J. Bushey, A/405 Engr. Water Supply Bn, got #7117. The WW2 total of LOM awards was about 20,200. But so far, only 574 medals are traceable by number alone.

I regret to report that neither SSM #15418 nor LOM #7106 appear in the known lists of WW2 decorations traceable by number alone. The closest reported Silver Star is #15412, issued to 2Lt. J.A. Crough, E/7 Inf, 3rd Division, for an action in France in Nov. 1944.

The closest Legion of Merit medals are 7113 & 7117, which were issued by the 5th US Army. Col. E.J. O'Neil, HQ VI Corps, received #7113, while Sgt. D.J. Bushey, A/405 Engr. Water Supply Bn, got #7117. The WW2 total of LOM awards was about 20,200. But so far, only 574 medals are traceable by number alone.

Hi Tom

I have 2nd LTs James A Crough's Silver Star # 15412 ( with 1 OLC) . It is officially hand engraved too ( he was a POW) . Do you have the number because I gave it to you , or do you have a copy of a document with the number?

Kurt

IS THERE A LIST THAT CONNECTS THE NAME TO A NUMBERED SILVER STAR MEDAL FOR WWII MEDALS. THE LIST BELOW CONNECTS IT TO A NAME. I FOUND THIS LIST AT THIS LINK AT

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??

Weaver,

I own that SS. I'll look at the list when I get home and check for any headings for you.

Jim

If memory serves me correctly; I have recently seen (last 2 to 3 years) early numbered Army Air Corps DSCs and DFCs with the numbers on the GO's that authorized the award of the respective medals.

Regards,

John

Weaver,

I went back and looked at the list and there is no heading. It appears to be an untitled list compiled by some researcher.

I looked at the GO for Byble and his medal # was listed at the end of the citation. It is an early BB&B for North Africa.

Hi Tom

I have 2nd LTs James A Crough's Silver Star # 15412 ( with 1 OLC) . It is officially hand engraved too ( he was a POW) . Do you have the number because I gave it to you , or do you have a copy of a document with the number?

Kurt

Kurt: You sent me the data on SSM #15412.

I don't have a copy of the General Order. Tom

Weaver,

I went back and looked at the list and there is no heading. It appears to be an untitled list compiled by some researcher.

I looked at the GO for Byble and his medal # was listed at the end of the citation. It is an early BB&B for North Africa.

How far does this list go ? What is the highest number on this loose compilation ?

Stephan

The Gleim-Apgar list of traceable numbered Silver Star medals has about 1700 entries. It was assembled before 1997 when Col. Gleim died suddenly. This total is only 2.3% of the 73,650 SSM awards for WW2. The data are scattered within these ranges:

12xxx: 16xxx up through 21,xxx; 23,xxx to 24,xxx; 29,xxx to 36,xxx. A few entries appear for 38,xxx, 42,xxx, and 46,xxx. Lastly, there are about 30 entries in the 86,xxx to 88,xxx range. That's as far as it goes.

How far does this list go ? What is the highest number on this loose compilation ?

Stephan

Stephan,

It runs from 34924 to 35125 with some breaks.

Jim

I have always annecdotally understood that generally speaking, the early war European Theater (i.e. North Africa and Sicily) combat divisions are where you will find those numbered medals, both Silver Stars and Purple Hearts, listed by medal number somewhere.

I am unsure of what all is out there for general orders lists which list medals numbers, but I can tell you I have owned, seen, and / or heard about numbered Purple Hearts and Silver Stars having the medal numbers recorded, at least in the GI's discharge papers, from the 1st, 9th and 34th Infantry Divisions and from the 1st Armored Division too; all were North Africa and Sicily units; there may be others, those just come to mind immediately.

I do not know if those are the units which Kurt referred to as having number to medal lists out there, which some collectors have compiled, I am just noting that those are, I think, possibly the units for which the lists MAY exist, but again, only for those early war actions up through like late 1943.

MW

I have a 82nd Airborne (504th PIR) numbered PH from Italy with the number in his discharge papers.

Josh

Many thanks !!

is #42869 in there ?

Stephan

Silver Star #42869 does not appear on the traceable SSM list. It is bracketed by #46810 issued to 1Lt. WT Gordon, 2Bn/26 Inf, 1st Div, and by #46899 issued to Corp. GE Harms, 188th Ord. Bn.

Thanks.

what is the next traceable number below mine ?

Stephan

SSM #46810 awarded to 1Lt. Gordon, 26 Inf, 1st Division. SSM #46899 to Corp Harms is the closest one above your medal.

SSM #46810 awarded to 1Lt. Gordon, 26 Inf, 1st Division. SSM #46899 to Corp Harms is the closest one above your medal.

I mean below. I have #42869 not # 46869

Stephan

I mean below. I have #42869 not # 46869

Stephan

My bifocals played another trick on me, sorry for my goof. The closest traceable SSM to your #42869 is #42029, awarded to Pfc Myron E. Johnson, 376th Para FA Bn. Traceable SSM resume above it with #46976 to a Lt. Col. in the 16th Inf, 1st Division.

• 2 years later...

Gents,

Very late to this thread, but can anybody help me with a SS having an engraved number of 99527. The medal has an early broach style pin.

Thanks

Jim