Air Corps Lamp - Cool !!

Steindaddie

I just got this lovely piece of aviation history. Besides it's great look, I love it for the fact it's mostly made of aircraft parts from about 1930. The base is a section of a wooden propeller complete with sweetheart wings and a DI for the 5th Composite Group from Luke Field Hawaii. The bottom of the base is covered with several layers of OD green aircraft fabric with the inscription "from a Keystone B-4 bomber". Then we have the gilt painted and Hawaiian sand encrusted practice bomb. All held together with aircraft hardware (castellated nuts, etc.). The lamp shade is hand-tinted photo transparencies of the DH-4, B-4, and P-12E. The 5th Group flew the DH-4 until 1929, the B-4 and P-12 arrived in 1930, and the lamp most likely dates from that time frame.

A story came with the lamp but it doesn't quite jive. Story goes that the lamp was made of parts from a B-4 that crashed after bombing lava flows at Hilo in 1935. The lava bombing is true, but there is no record of a B-4 crashing after that mission. Also, the B-4 had metal props, and the DH-4 seen on the shade was long gone from Luke Field by 1935. I'm thinking early 30's, the prop section is probably from a DH-4.

PS. There is a 1926 dated .45 ACP round on the pull chain!

post-1949-1261966067.jpg

post-1949-1261966111.jpg

Johnny Signor

Your DI is the 5th Bombardment Group,thier early design, I've seen a photo somewhere with this emblem on the side of a B-18 Bolo Bomber.

Also the wings are an early style of the pilot type, a very interesting piece, the Bomb is a very early "practice" type .

From a collector's standpoint: lovely.

From the standpoint of spouses: "You want to put that in the house????????"

Kind of reminds me of that lamp from The Christmas Story movie:

red_ryder_leg_lamp.jpg

From a collector's standpoint: lovely.

From the standpoint of spouses: "You want to put that in the house????????"

Kind of reminds me of that lamp from The Christmas Story movie:

post-214-1262104960.jpg

"Look honey... FRA-JEE-LAY".... it must be Italian"...

Kind of reminds me of that lamp from The Christmas Story movie

That's pretty funny - and accurate too. My wife made the same comment as I unpacked the lamp. :think: