1942 Menu from Grand Central Station

Plankowner

I found this old menu in a book that I bought. I thought it was interesting so I posted it. Hope someone else enjoys it. The menu had a 3/4 fold it it, that is why the pages are different.

4218799187_461c636348_b.jpg

4219566258_a3ec6822e5_b.jpg

4218798683_d4046619a0_b.jpg

Looks like a lot of nice dishes to serve during the war. Maybe the OPA didn't kick in yet. My brother-in-law had an aunt that worked in the front office at the NY Grand Central Station. She was given the Lionel train engine that ran around the inside and he now has it.

Jack, you raise an intersting point about the OPA. You are correct that early in 1942 not all OPA regs were in effect but there are some great details here that show some were in place. First. the sugar message stamped in the margin and the lack of beef items is the second. I do see beef tongue listed but that required only a point or maybe a couple points per pound (i'd have to pull out an old OPA chart for exact numbers). I see a great deal of lobster, but it wasnt regulated and as some people of Maine tell you, lobster used to be so common they fed it to criminals in jail, though that was not the 20th century. Other meats are veal, chicken and plenty of fish, but no steak. A great document of history Plankowner, glad you posted it.