An awesome way to see old dates on WW2, WW1 field gear

THAT GUY

When I first got my first piece of field gear, a M45 Mussette Bag I think, It had a MFG date and maker I could not make out. A couple of years later I got a Sony DC something and was taking video of my gear and turned on the Night Vision mode. For some reason, I could make out the dates and maker like it was newly stamped on to the canvas.

I have a Khaki Haversack that had a "19.." something (the last 2 digits were covered w/ paint) I looked throught the screen with N.V. and it was a 1918 Haversack.

Has anyone tried this before?

Sam

When I first got my first piece of field gear, a M45 Mussette Bag I think, It had a MFG date and maker I could not make out. A couple of years later I got a Sony DC something and was taking video of my gear and turned on the Night Vision mode. For some reason, I could make out the dates and maker like it was newly stamped on to the canvas.

I have a Khaki Haversack that had a "19.." something (the last 2 digits were covered w/ paint) I looked throught the screen with N.V. and it was a 1918 Haversack.

Sam

No, but now I'll have to get my Sony Digital 8 camcorder back from my sister and give it a try.

HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!! I found out dates on my cartridge belt, FA pouch, and a canteen, this is awesome, thanks!

Haydn

Did you use the ones that came with Call of Duty? I'll try this trick with those... It sounds amazing!! :w00t:

HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!! I found out dates on my cartridge belt, FA pouch, and a canteen, this is awesome, thanks!

Haydn

Haha No problem!

Lucky 7th Armored
Did you use the ones that came with Call of Duty? I'll try this trick with those... It sounds amazing!! :w00t:

lol I actually did! I have two pairs of night vision, one cod set, and a $20 pair from somewhere. I might have to bring a pair of night vision goggles when i go to flea markets now! :lol:

Haydn

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a blue lens flashlight to read the red ink stampings on wool shirts before. I'll have to use the NVGs and see if I can read other stuff. Does it work better if it is khaki or OD or about the same?

Thanks for a good tip.

I've used a blue lens flashlight to read the red ink stampings on wool shirts before. I'll have to use the NVGs and see if I can read other stuff. Does it work better if it is khaki or OD or about the same?

Thanks for a good tip.

The same. Obviously you will be able to read a stamp better if it is not too faded... but you can usually make it out anyway.

• 1 month later...

I suspect it is due to the camera being able to see way down into infrared. Most do.

The best use for that is to see if a remote control is actually working (look at it through a video camera and you'll see it flashing).

I would guess some part of the ink is more reflective of IR light than the visible spectrum, so it stands out more.

I suspect it is due to the camera being able to see way down into infrared. Most do.

The best use for that is to see if a remote control is actually working (look at it through a video camera and you'll see it flashing).

I would guess some part of the ink is more reflective of IR light than the visible spectrum, so it stands out more.

Cool. Im going to try that now.

• 1 month later...

After reading this post. I got out my old baby video monitor.

It was made for seeing in the dark when the child is sleeping.

It worked very well and the monitor is large so you can even take a picture of what is uncovered.

Great post.

Pep

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent shot.

I have found with Mills equipment stampings the results are dramatic.

post-2260-1274273843.jpg

post-2260-1274273862.jpgpost-2260-1274273889.jpg

Yes, it is the same belt.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody done a comparison test between a Digital Camera and a Baby Monitor?

I would be nice to see which method is best :)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody done a comparison test between a Digital Camera and a Baby Monitor?

I would be nice to see which method is best :)

I can tell you that a camcorder with night vision will be a whole lot better: it has a far superior lens and image chip and you have the ability to focus on close objects: baby monitors will be out-focus with close objects.

In the interest of science, I spent $60 this week to buy a used baby monitor from Ebay.

vismarkmonitor.jpg

As with most or all of these, it has a wireless connection to its monitor, which degrades the image quality further. This one as a "auto sensor" for night vision, but I took some photos with early morning light coming into my studio. I will say that despite the image quality problems, it pleasantly surprised in one of the two tests. I shot a canvas jungle first aid pouch and a web belt. Both of these are not only totally unreadable, but on the jungle pouch it's hard to even tell there is writing.

Here's the pouch:

vismark1.jpg

It seems to show the date as 1945 and with a little detective work I could probably determine the maker (the list at http://wing.chez-alice.fr/USA/US_equipment.html is a good guide to makers names).

With the belt, the results were unusable. I suspect the very rough weave of the belts is the problem.

vismark2.jpg

In the future I will show results with the same objects on a baby monitor and camcorder. I see old Digital-8 camcorders with Night Vision for maybe $30-40 at thrift stores. Even if they don't record, they are still perfectly good for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
I can tell you that a camcorder with night vision will be a whole lot better: it has a far superior lens and image chip and you have the ability to focus on close objects: baby monitors will be out-focus with close objects.

In the interest of science, I spent $60 this week to buy a used baby monitor from Ebay.

post-214-1279296544.jpg

As with most or all of these, it has a wireless connection to its monitor, which degrades the image quality further. This one as a "auto sensor" for night vision, but I took some photos with early morning light coming into my studio. I will say that despite the image quality problems, it pleasantly surprised in one of the two tests. I shot a canvas jungle first aid pouch and a web belt. Both of these are not only totally unreadable, but on the jungle pouch it's hard to even tell there is writing.

Here's the pouch:

post-214-1279296575.jpg

It seems to show the date as 1945 and with a little detective work I could probably determine the maker (the list at http://wing.chez-alice.fr/USA/US_equipment.html is a good guide to makers names).

With the belt, the results were unusable. I suspect the very rough weave of the belts is the problem.

post-214-1279296782.jpg

In the future I will show results with the same objects on a baby monitor and camcorder. I see old Digital-8 camcorders with Night Vision for maybe $30-40 at thrift stores. Even if they don't record, they are still perfectly good for this purpose.

I had the same focus issue with my baby cam. While fiddling with it I found I could rotate the camara lens to focus up close.

Pep

• 1 month later...
DesertRatTom

Sam

WOW!!!! both methods work! The IR on my night scope tends to overwhelm things a bit, but practice will take care of that.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

The NV Setup works on number stamped or engraved in metal about 80% of the time. I let the area warm up in the Sun, then look at it. I'm guessing that it works because where the metal was engraved or stamped, it is denser and heats at a different rate.

Tom

• 6 months later...

Haydn

thank you for the info. Don