An awesome way to see old dates on WW2, WW1 field gear

THAT GUY

WWIIman1944

Wow! I never thought of this. I use a magnifying lens for model kits to see dates on my gear. You can't see the ink but you can see the indentation from the stamp. It's nice!

• 4 months later...

I took a photo of a hard to read marking, and increased saturation in Photoshop by 100% ; to my surprise it was a lot more legible.

Original photo:

belt5.jpg

Photoshop +100% saturation:

markings.jpg

• 8 months later...

That's fantastic. I work in a field where we have IR cams on robots. I need to take some canvas gear in to have a looksee.

• 6 months later...

I recently tried this technique with a baby video monitor and was really impressed with the results. Markings which were otherwise invisible to the naked eye could be seen in relatively sharp relief.

I recently tried this technique with a baby video monitor and was really impressed with the results. Markings which were otherwise invisible to the naked eye could be seen in relatively sharp relief.

Could you tell the brand etc that as used. Changing tech and capabilities drives the question. Remember it was just a few years ago that FLIR was an option on several civilian vehicles?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1 month later...

Could you tell the brand etc that as used. Changing tech and capabilities drives the question. Remember it was just a few years ago that FLIR was an option on several civilian vehicles?

Thanks,

Tom

I think any camera with night vision will work

There are also various places online where one can find instructions to convert an inexpensive digital camera to suit this purpose.

DesertRatTom

I think any camera with night vision will work

That seems to be true. With all the latest tech advances and built in editing capabilities on cameras, the trend? seems to be moving away from night vision (as we knew it) to reverse field & FLIR and variants imaging. Also nice to know if what's on hand that has other uses.

• 3 months later...

I have a question concerning using the night vision setting on a video camera. Do I need to be in a totally dark room to get the best results or will it work under any light conditions? I read through this thread and didn't see it addressed. Thank you in advance.

I have a question concerning using the night vision setting on a video camera. Do I need to be in a totally dark room to get the best results or will it work under any light conditions? I read through this thread and didn't see it addressed. Thank you in advance.

I never bother to darken the room, but I could see where it might make a difference: worth trying.