An awesome way to see old dates on WW2, WW1 field gear

THAT GUY

I know a British windproof smock doesn't quite fit into US equipment, but holy cow night vision on the camcorder WORKED!!! I now have a confirmed 1944 date.

Thanks for the info and the help finding this thread again.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let's see if I have well understood how to proceed.

I have seen that both my cellular phone and video camera can see in the dark the IR coming out from the tv remote controller.

Now Do I need an active source of IR rays like for example an IR flashlight torch to "illuminate" the target or it is just a kind of ""point the camera and look"?

Am I right if I assume I should try to take the picture in a dark room,then the need for a source of IR rays?

Sorry for the maybe rather dumb questions....and thank you in advance for any advice

DesertRatTom

M- OK, using the TV remote's IR is a stroke of genius! Do you also use it to get through traffic? :D The whole idea is to use what light works the best and doesn't cook you device's sensors. If you play err, experiment with various materials, you'll find that each material, i.e. cloth, metals, &c. is its own story.

I've had great results using just the day adapter on some NV devices, while other times adding illuminators almost made the letters visible. As stated earlier, you've got to experiment, and this method is not 100% effective for everything.

Eh well I tried to use the IR remote controller with the traffic light but although it worked it was then difficult to explain to the rather angry policeman it was just a scientific test!

Yep you're right,this method is not 100% effective with everything but sure it can give some help

• 4 weeks later...

From the Western Rifle Rifle Shooters Association RSS feeds: Thermal Imaging App For Smartphones | Western Rifle Shooters Association due this spring, cost is estimated at $400+.

Also of interest to US Military Firearms collectors check out PS Magazine Archives | Western Rifle Shooters Association, this is the comic book type updates, but looks good for FM, TM, etc.

Hot links can be found at http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/thermal-imaging-app-for-smartphones/.

You are most wwelcome. If you can think of other spots to post this, go for it. Between the poor man's FLIR and free manuals links, I suspect a lot of the folks could use at least part of the post.

Tom

Sorry guys, I was 16 or so when I discovered this and posted it here... I don't know anything else except the method I originally posted. :)

• 9 months later...

You can use LED IR (night vision) illumination alone with any digital camera (not phone camera). You can see the IR LEDs reflection on the picture.

I don't know whether the "night vision" gear gives better results.

You can use LED IR (night vision) illumination alone with any digital camera (not phone camera). You can see the IR LEDs reflection on the picture.

I don't know whether the "night vision" gear gives better results.

post-103304-0-01958200-1417976312.jpg

Back when this thread started it was just NV, then some of the eary DTRs like Sony's gen. 1 'Low Light' digital tape recording cameras. Fast forward a few scant years and we heve cell phones that can have FLIR devices added to them for pocket change. The beauty of all this is a timeline of technology and its uses for collectors etc. to authenticate items that would at most be a 'best' or 'educated' guess.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Lucky 7th Armored

First time I commented on this was 5+ years ago! Wow, time flies, I'm going to have to go home and check to see if the Kinect on the Xbox One works for this..I know it has an IR setting.

Haydn

Heres is the way i do it without nightvision. If you have a smart phone, change you settings to invert your colors. You can look at the phone and see it on the screen. To do it on an iphone. Go to settings>Accessibility> Invert colors. The pictures dont save inverted but you can see right away what it says wherever you are.

Heres is the way i do it without nightvision. If you have a smart phone, change you settings to invert your colors. You can look at the phone and see it on the screen. To do it on an iphone. Go to settings>Accessibility> Invert colors. The pictures dont save inverted but you can see right away what it says wherever you are.

• 3 months later...

I tried it on some faded printing on web gear without results. Using it on readable print was fine. Maybe it's my phone---it's an old Iphone 4.

Thanks, Al

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I won something on eBay(delivered today and I'm not home) and this actually worked on the picture that was in the auction! Small size picture and I couldn't make out the last number of the date. Did the above and could make out a 4 (1944).

Can't wait to try this on other gear when I get home!

THANKS!

• 9 months later...
Battling Bastard

Lesson one learned: This is a very good idea to read those unreadable dates. I should try it also. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a UV light to detect similar otherwise obscure or hard to detect entries effectively?