Help identifying mess hall item

Texasradio

Given to me in Texas.

6 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter at the base. Light-weight aluminum with a spring-loaded top like a stein. Appears new without any stains or corrosion, just some light oxidation inside and out. The lid has a small dent in it.

Marked on bottom; U.S.

A.G.M. Co. 1941

I would think possibly a mess hall item, except all other MH items I've seen were stainless-steel or crockery, not light-weight aluminum.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks, Texasradio

post-424-1261846616.jpg post-424-1261846630.jpg

Rght, it is a cream pitcher. Normally there is a little ring with a spout that goes around the inside and helps seperate the cream for coffee. I think these were normally found in the officer's field mess set.

T. Bowers

These things have been causing arguments for a long time so lets see if we can't get one going now. I am of the opinion they are syrup pitchers, the piece in the top (often missing) with the inset spout is so when the syrup is poured the thick sticky stuff will not run down the outside but rather back inside. It works like a modern liquid laundry detergent bottle dose.

These things have been causing arguments for a long time so lets see if we can't get one going now. I am of the opinion they are syrup pitchers, the piece in the top (often missing) with the inset spout is so when the syrup is poured the thick sticky stuff will not run down the outside but rather back inside. It works like a modern liquid laundry detergent bottle dose.

Then I spent my younger days in chow halls pouring cream out of syrup pitchers!

OK, syrup or cream pitcher. I'll buy into that, but does anyone have a picture of the "ring" that goes inside of the item??

VR,

Texasradio

Another of related gear

Thanks for the great pic Kration. Now when I'm wandering through the junk/antique/etc stores, I can have a reason to dig through the kitchen items, other than looking for mess kit stuff.

VR,

Texasradio