Vietnam Unissued SEAL Rifleman Experimental Jacket

Spike

• 1 year later...
Beau-Brummel
I wouldn't call it new, the numbers written on it and there is no tag in the collar....good luck.

Here we go again. You really have some balls Mr Hurricane.

I actually bought this jacket from our friend here last Christmas. What arrived was a reproduction. Took me weeks to get my money back and was touch and go for a while and the refund ended up coming from this guys brother. Loads of dodgy pay pal accounts, multiple ebay accounts etc, nightmare!

I was going to return the reproduction but the postage costs were so prohibitive that I did not. I was asked If I could list It on ebay for him and pay him If I sold It. Then he asked me If I could send It to a guy In Finland. That set the alarm bells ringing as the Finnish guy could well have thought he was getting an original and I would be libel.

Anyway i then saw our friend selling more of these jackets as Rifleman type with a starting price of $49 so i figure he hasn't lost too much.

When i sell the jacket to a re-enactor I will send him the money but I'm not going to bust a gut doing It.

SO, If anyones thinking of bidding on this I would think long and hard.

Yours, Guy.

vintageproductions
Here we go again. You really have some balls Mr Hurricane.

I actually bought this jacket from our friend here last Christmas. What arrived was a reproduction. Took me weeks to get my money back and was touch and go for a while and the refund ended up coming from this guys brother. Loads of dodgy pay pal accounts, multiple ebay accounts etc, nightmare!

I was going to return the reproduction but the postage costs were so prohibitive that I did not. I was asked If I could list It on ebay for him and pay him If I sold It. Then he asked me If I could send It to a guy In Finland. That set the alarm bells ringing as the Finnish guy could well have thought he was getting an original and I would be libel.

Anyway i then saw our friend selling more of these jackets as Rifleman type with a starting price of $49 so i figure he hasn't lost too much.

When i sell the jacket to a re-enactor I will send him the money but I'm not going to bust a gut doing It.

SO, If anyones thinking of bidding on this I would think long and hard.

Yours, Guy.

Guy-Thanks for the head's up. When this member first came on the Forum, he emailed me wanting to sell me vintage militaria. I followed my gut instinct, which was to never buy anything out of Thailand. I can see now that I am glad I followed this instinct.

Bob

Beau-Brummel
Guy, you did great job by exposing this bastard. Thank you !

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Bob, you're absolutely right man! I took a chance as Thailand Is a pay pal protected country but In the end I shouldn't have as It could all have turned out very differently.

In all honesty I'm not sure this guy Is actually a scammer or just chaotic. I did In the end get my money back but the whole experience has put me off dealing out of my comfort zone ie US and Europe. He actually seemed a nice guy, his english Is very poor and I suspect he may not have understood the pay pal rules as a new trader. Whatever, I wouldn't bother again and would urge others to excercise extreme caution.

At the end of the day this Is just my experience If anyone else has anything to add good or bad pour It on!

Yours, Guy

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you about following photos. I found this reproduction of SEAL snap vest couple hours ago. I saw this type of vest on original photos but I'm not sure about details. Please could anybody tell me if is it the good reproduction or not? What could be wrong? Thanks a lot!

With regards

david

post-6714-1248192032.jpg

It is not to bad at all .

As you know there is only a handfull of these vests left in the world so a good copy is nice to see .

What price is this by the way?

owen

Hi kammo-man,

only 24000 YEN. It is not bad price ;) . Does anybody have photos of original vest for comparing with this reproduction? Thank you in advance for any comments.. :thumbsup:

David

post-6714-1248196433.jpg

I have pics of me wearing an early SEAL vest, need to make sure it's cool to post the pics. Also, don't need scumbags using the pics to make fake vests, especially the clowns in Thailand who are making the fake SEAL jackets

bravo_2_zero
Hello guys,

I would like to ask you about following photos. I found this reproduction of SEAL snap vest couple hours ago. I saw this type of vest on original photos but I'm not sure about details. Please could anybody tell me if is it the good reproduction or not? What could be wrong? Thanks a lot!

With regards

david

The only thing i can see wrong (but not bad) is the dark lines around the brown shapes in the print. Brill repro BTW and like Owen said nice to see one that someone thought long and hard about.

Spike and other guys...only few words about me and my teammates..We are young (almost :rolleyes: ) reenactors from the Czech Republic, Europe. We are interested in the Navy SEAL in Vietnam and one of us also in Australian SAS..We are not a producers of fake SEALs vests :crying: ....I read all posts which were written here by Mr.spike, Miraldi, kammo-man and other enthusiasts due to their knowledge about Vietnam era uniforms...Especialy yours, Spike..because you are interested in the same subject like me..I feel bad about your doubts, but I understand your position...Please have a look at our web pages and I hope you will change your mind about us...http://www.st2.wz.cz/

post-6714-1248203734.jpg

1. Re the early SEAL vest/jacket. There's a good pic at the beginning of the Military Illustrated article of a guy wearing one armed with the early CAR-15. Were the early vests made from exclusively poplin or rip-stop as well?

2. Re Czech re-enactor pic above. Nice set up ... but if the guy on the left is supposed to be Australian SASR I would cam up his Field Dressing on the stock, the rifle itself and the light coloured stripe on the smoke grenade. Those guys were religiously meticulous in their cam and concealment. As it is you are 90% there. Well done!

This is a Spike question .

Did the vests come in poplin and or ripstop?

Answers on a self addressed postcard and post marked no later that july 25th please .

The winner shall recieve a years subscription of Martha Stewarts better home and Garden .

Thanks .

owen

This is a Spike question .

Did the vests come in poplin and or ripstop?

Answers on a self addressed postcard and post marked no later that july 25th please .

The winner shall recieve a years subscription of Martha Stewarts better home and Garden .

Thanks .

owen

O

Several years ago I spoke with Jim Watson.Seem to recall he said the vest was developed very early and the first ones were custom made by Switlik (the parachute company)and tested in Switliks swimming pool.Please correct me if I am wrong as I spoke to him some time in the late 80s or early 90s as the new curator of the museum in Ft.Piece Florida.

I had visitied the museum a couple years prior to our conversation.He was going to come up with some information for me but they were under construction at the museum redoing and adding on things.

I thought he was one of the designers or designed the first vests.

RON

• 5 months later...
Hello guys,

With regards

david

Hi David,

It's a nice reproduction from Japan,

Please find the link:

http://www.advisors.jp/

http://www.advisors.jp/reproduction/index.html

Cheers,

Birdie