Vietnam Unissued SEAL Rifleman Experimental Jacket

Spike

post-532-1181687197.jpg

post-532-1181687213.jpg

post-532-1181687227.jpg

post-532-1181687241.jpg

I am going to start posting some of my Vietnam SEAL collection. Thought I would start with a killer piece. This was given to me by a two tour SEAL Team One member, who never wore it. This is the Lime Green rip-stop ERDL variant. Still has the original issue paper instruction tag stapled to the lower button flap. This is one of only two of these jackets I have ever seen with the paper tag still attached.

Yes, the bladder was for flotation, could be inflated either orally or by a CO2 cartridge that is activated by a pull cord. I'll be showing a picture of this later on.

vintageproductions

Wow, we have handled about twenty of these rare jackets and have never seen one with a instructions tag attached to it.

craig_pickrall

This is a rare treat indeed to see such a fine example.

Do you have a copy of the 12 page Spec written to cover the three designs? A sample set of pics attached.

post-5-1181840516.jpg

post-5-1181840525.jpg

post-532-1181842439.jpg

Here is what a bladder actually looks like, this one is for the rifleman/grenadier, I also have one for a radioman as well. They were made in a heavy black material like this and a grey ripstop type material as well. I have that document but the one I have is about 30/40 pages and goes into detail about stitching and things like that.

craig_pickrall

Where was it that you wanted the thread to head? If you can give an idea then maybe it can be steered in that direction.

post-532-1181886556.jpg

post-532-1181886529.jpg

post-532-1181886582.jpg

Non ripstop poplin ERDL grenadier jacket, pretty much in mint condition even though there is an L shaped tear on the rear of the jacket. The C02 actuator still has safety wire on it and you can see some white pencil marks where the buttons are. This was the first SEAL jacket I ever got, found it in a surplus store in Newark Calif. in the late 80's and was just about to walk out the door when I happened to look up on the wall and saw it. Paid $130.00 for it.

This was the jacket that got me interested in militaria some 15 years ago. I had older gear in my surplus store over the decades, but never gave it much thought. But when someone offered me $500 for the SEAL's experimental BDU blouses with the bladder, an offer I was unable to refuse, I decided to take more notice and do some research. Then I became hooked on the research part more than the actual collecting.

The bladder in my Grenadiers jacket is made by Converse.I spoke with James Watson a few years ago and he had some intresting insights about the jacket and the development of the vests.At the time hye was the new curator at the UDT/SEAL Museum in Ft.Pierce Florida.

post-532-1182218408.jpgpost-532-1182218421.jpg

This rifleman jacket came from a SEAL that did one tour in Nam but I'm pretty sure he had this modified post war to carry 30rd mags. Poplin ERDL.

Spike,

Again, thanks for allowing us to see all your SEAL stuff. You seem to have no shortage of float coats.

Looking at these pics makes me miss my poplin ERDL grenadier that was named to a SEAL Team 2 vet. Unfortunately, I sent the coat to a former (mutual) friend on the terms of a payment plan and he went AWOL on me. It's been about 6 or 7 years now... Ouch.

---Chris

Guest mark caracci

yes, nice jackets, it's always nice to see great examples. Being a retired SEAL I was fortunate enough to see many in my 20 years and aquire some from Vietnam vets as well. I remember learning about a bag of them found in the SEAL Team 2 compound years ago, still most were given away. Some guys were wearing them in the 80s, of course minus the lifjacket. The rare item is the vest used prior to the jackets or modified jackets. I know of 2 surviving examples, one I missed sold for 5k! I wish I knew where it was now....

Anyway, here is a pic, the boonie came with it... :D

Mark Caracci

post-1179-1183037276.jpg

River Patrol

Here's a modified SEAL vest. From the background you might be able to tell which dealer once owned it. Well worn! This will be in the upcoming book. It sold recently for over 5K.

I'm looking for any SEAL photographs with these items in-wear, in-country (Vietnam) for my book. I have some but more is better! If you have any and would like to share (& see them published), please let me know.

SEAL_Vest.jpg

Dear sir In military illustrated june issue of 1990 there is two pictures of the seal coat. I f want the article you can posted your address and I can make copies of the aricle and pictures for you.

Regards

Juan

I have a bunch of pics of SEALs wearing the first vests, and jackets but I'm not sure if I can let them get published as they are from personal collections. And I'm pretty sure I know the original SEAL that had that vest, might even have a pic of him wearing it somewhere.

post-532-1183782245.jpgpost-532-1183782271.jpg

This cut down SEAL jacket has been heavily modified, not only has it been made into a vest but 2 of the shoulder mag pouches have been hand sewn on the lower front and the pockets that are on the sleeve are sewn on the upper front. Collar has been removed. This vest was worn by a SEAL Kit Carson Scout advisor at Sea Float in 1970.

ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING....
I have a bunch of pics of SEALs wearing the first vests, and jackets but I'm not sure if I can let them get published as they are from personal collections. And I'm pretty sure I know the original SEAL that had that vest, might even have a pic of him wearing it somewhere.

Spike, I'm 100% sure you know the original SEAL that had that vest.

The original SEAL gave me a picture of the guy he gave his vest to, wearing this exact vest.

Very nice to see some of your SEAL jackets.

• 4 weeks later...
vintageproductions

poprif1.JPGpoprif2.JPGpoprif3.JPG

Here is a poplin rifleman we just bought this week. The bladder has been removed and it looks like it may have only been worn once or twice.