The best M1 helmet chinstraps

possum

Ok chaps, some opinions wanted here. Need to get some new chinstraps for some of my WW2 M1 helemts I'm doing up for reenacting. In your experience, who is producing the best repros? I mean closest to the orginals in tems of material, colour, texture, hardware etc.

I already have a J Murray M2 Helmet, and the straps are very, very good. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who's doing it better!

All feedback welcome.

Many thanks,

Jon

Poss mate if you are doing up some re enactor grade helmets for sale i could do with another one for one of my sons mates whois taking up re enacting/living history for the first time on the 83rd Infantry march in Belgium in January..

Merry Xmas mate

Regards

LLoyd

The ones from Josh, At The Front, and Top Pots are all very good. Don't know who'd have cheaper shipping, the land down under of Top Pots or US stores like Josh and ATF?

By the way, what is the best way to go about to get a moderately accurate look? I have some of the repro straps sitting around and am debating whether to go to the tailor's, etc. and have them use khaki thread or hand sew it with black or something and make it look field done...:think:

Jon,

This guy's chinstraps are by far the best. http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-WW2-M1-Helmet-Chi...=item4a9d583e12

J Murray's are pretty decent. The hardware, in particular the cast buckles, are cheap pot metal and not great. Depending on the batch, I've found the fabric can range from pretty good to poor in terms of weave accuracy.

ATF's are no good in my opinion. The fabric stiff, wrong colour and weave.

Top Pots, similar criticism as above. I've had a few chinstraps from TP and the fabric has varied from the right thickness but wrong weave and colour, to far too thick, wrong colour and weave.

None of those three manufacturers could pass comparison with originals, which is a good thing. The link above are the best, most accurate on the market. Just comes down to how accurate you want to be. Personal choice.

Chris

On my old reenactor pot, people used to think my aged toppot's ones were real, pretty damn good i would say. I have josh murrays ones, on i think one of my scott berry helmets, not a fan. I mean they are close, but at the same time, way off. don't like ATFs.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Chris, thanks for the link. These are spot on. I've got a J Murray form about 3 1/2 years ago,and thought that was good. These are the shiz!

As soon as I get some bucks, I'll buy a btach and do some up.

Lloyd, real sorry I missed your post. I've had a hard time getting onto the internet at the moment. If your still after one for your son, I do happen to have a spare rear seam shell with some tan chinstraps. Not as good as these, but I can do my special dirtying up trick, and it would be fine for a starter helmet.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Jon

Hi Poss

Funny old thing, I have just finished painting your shell and those two nice Fixed bail helmets of Mikes. Just waiting for Lesley to get in and then I am for it, the Kitchen smells like a Paint Shop.

You on line now

Regards

Lee

Hi Mate,

Relocated to the Welsh CP for 48 hours to update website, and check out the latest threads. Will be online until I return to base.

Roger out.

Possum