WWII Instructor Pilot's Uniform

FW12

Greetings!

Thought I would put this uniform up, see what ya'll thought of it. I really do like the bullion AAC patch and the wings.

I've got several questions. The uniform is undoutbtedly original (I bought if from the vet's son), but I have never seen the instructor sleeve wing with blue backing. Is that indicative of anything?

The uniform is unnamed, and I have yet to get a response from the son with regards to the officer's identity. The tunic itself is in fair shape (the interior is fine, but the exterior shows some spotting, some mothing, even a paint smear on the bottom of one of the cuffs). Essentially, I wouldn't display this piece, because I don't feel its condition warrants displaying. Would it be too terrible to remove the insignia? I'd love to hear opinions.

Thanks!

Beau

post-88-1181686691.jpg

post-88-1181686797.jpg

CNY Militaria

Nice Jacket! I planned to bid on that lot, however I forgot at the last minute, haha. I only remove insignia if the jacket is SOOO bad that it has fist sized holes in it. I would consider it a "closet uniform" that is ok to take out occasionally. Just remember, once the insignia comes off...its off.

Did the shirt it came with have the instructor wings too?

Good luck!

Justin

Thanks for the response Justin,

Unforunately, the shirt only has the basic American-made 5th Air Force patch on the shoulder. Other items from the same officer just sold on eBay (I was the 2nd highest bidder) including another pair of bullion wings, what looked to be pinback NS Meyer wings, and an odd assortment of collar and rank insignia. It's a cool group, but I'd love to get some more information on the fellow. His name would be a great start!

Beau

CNY Militaria

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I hate it when sellers split up groups from their relatives, and it has to be pieced (very expensively) back together. They often don't care who it goes to! Sometimes its hard to get the vets name for some odd reason too! I have had the opposite though, where people want everything kept together and their memory preserved with a collector.

Justin

I believe that sleeve wing was cut down from a patch, which has the gold wings on a blue twill disk.

If you do remove the insignia, cut off the entire cuff having the instructor wing. If you remove just the wing, all you'll have is a destroyed patch. But, on the cuff, it's pretty cool.

Kurt

There are several good products on the market that will remove paint. Check your local hardware store, Goof-off is one I have used but there are others. Scrape the surface paint off with a knife first then use what ever product you get. It probably won't get all of the paint off but it should make it better. I would say given the condition of the jacket it is worth a try.