Scotch tape removal

1A291E

Howdy all,

Here's my problem...I have a very nice post Korean War helmet liner that has decals on both sides and 1st Lt decal on the front...beside the 1st Lt. decal, there is what looks like a mark left by "Scotch Tape" glue. Because the body of the liner is painted with flat paint, I know if I use anything like WD-40 to remove the left over tape glue, it will leave a mark, as anything oil based including finger prints, will leave an oil mark...this I found out when I restored my first WWII Jeep...finger prints everywhere!!! I was thinking lighter fluid, but that's oil based too. Does anyone have any ideas??? Goof-off?

Thanks in advance for any and all help...and MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

1A291E

• 4 weeks later...
Lightning Ace

Have you tried Goo Gone and I think there's another product that's for your problem called Goof Off?

Mike

Howdy all,

Here's my problem...I have a very nice post Korean War helmet liner that has decals on both sides and 1st Lt decal on the front...beside the 1st Lt. decal, there is what looks like a mark left by "Scotch Tape" glue. Because the body of the liner is painted with flat paint, I know if I use anything like WD-40 to remove the left over tape glue, it will leave a mark, as anything oil based including finger prints, will leave an oil mark...this I found out when I restored my first WWII Jeep...finger prints everywhere!!! I was thinking lighter fluid, but that's oil based too. Does anyone have any ideas??? Goof-off?

Thanks in advance for any and all help...and MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

1A291E

Have you tried Goo Gone and I think there's another product that's for your problem called Goof Off?

Mike

Goof-Off is a little aggressive. It's actually designed to remove acrylic based paints. So, if there is any kind of repaint on this liner, it will remove it. I'd stick with the Goo Gone or with a good adhesive cleaning solvent. 3-M makes a great adhesive cleaner for automotive use. It's a little pricey but, works great.

Goo Be Gone is fairly tame... I have used it on books and paper products. As always, you would want to try it on a small spot or an area that is out of sight first... maybe on the interior paint of the helmet.

There are citrus based products and some times a little hair spray soaked on a cotton rag or T-shirt material will do the trick.Best to try it sparingly,anything containing petroleum distalates will effect paint.

RON

WOW!!...All this help!! This why I love this site!!

I must say, i'm a bit nervous about doing anything with my liner...but the "goo gone" looks like it would do the trick, but I think i'll try the 3M product first. There is a top notch body shop next door to our FX shop that I will talk to this morning and see if they know about the 3M thing.

If anyone else has any ideas on how I can remove scotch tape glue from my liner that is painted with "flat" paint, please jump in.

I tip my hat to you all!!

1A291E