So, what do you do when your are house bound

hawkdriver

Today, I got a box on my porch and it was a pair of trench boots I had been eyeballing at RJW Militaria. Since the weather today was nasty and no one was going to be able to come over for Cristmas dinner, I spent a fair amount of my afternoon in my work room refurbing the boots.

10po6ky.jpg

2cfd3pi.jpg

I started chipping at the dirt and verdigris. These boots still had dried mud in the soles and in between the upper and soles. It took awhile to get all the dirt off, but even longer to get the verdigris out of the eyelets and the rivets. I've cleaned verdigris before, but this stuff had been there for some time and was stubborn to remove. Here is the first boot when I was finished compared to the other.

30w2rg2.jpg

When I was done, this is the dirt and verdigris that I peeled off of both boots.

5zh9ap.jpg

Here are both boots, you can see the sizing, didn't even know it was there until after I got them cleaned up.

nfn1vs.jpg

Here they are completed. You can see that the left boot is a little lighter color having had a couple hours more to dry.

2dnmoj.jpg

Feel much better getting the knock offs, off my shelf.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No, wait, stop! That mud is is historic and part of their authenticity!

Please collect up all the mud and wash it back over the boots to restore them to their original condition.

No, wait, stop! That mud is is historic and part of their authenticity!

Please collect up all the mud and wash it back over the boots to restore them to their original condition.

NO GIL! NOT YOU TOO :crying: It's all still on my shower floor waiting to get washed down the drain, I could recover it, maybe sell it on eBay as original trench boot mud. It does have a European waft to it! (no offense my european friends)

I've already committed the collector sin of treating the leather with a preservative.

NO GIL! NOT YOU TOO :crying: It's all still on my shower floor waiting to get washed down the drain, I could recover it, maybe sell it on eBay as original trench boot mud. It does have a European waft to it! (no offense my european friends)

I've already committed the collector sin of treating the leather with a preservative.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice job!

General Apathy

Hi hawkdriver, studded boots nice items :thumbsup: , never managed to get a studded pair for my collection when I was gathering everything I could for my collection.

Cheers lewis

Corpsmancollector

Great job Hawk!

I've got a similar project on the go, currently restoring a fixed bail and rayon westinghouse liner. They've seen better days! I do enjoy a good day in, restoring old gear. There's a certain sense of satisfaction and relief afterwards I think.

All the best for the holidays!

Now that that is done, I thought I would lay low for a little while and pick my next project, however, since I have several feet of snow drifted against my garage door, I'm not going anywhere for a couple days, thinking I may start on the steamer trunk I got from Shrapneldude. It is quite gratifying to finish a project and then step back and look at it on your shelf.

By the way, anyone know where to get period shoe laces?? Or even toe caps?